Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #21
Chey
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How old is too old for a sippy cup?

my 6.5 and 5yo still take sippies with water to bed and in the car. They ask for them, i dont see a problem with it, its not like they use one all day long for milk juice and water. its water only.

nak

Advertisement

Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #22
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't see the big deal either. My DD is 3 and half the time she drinks out of a cup and half the time out of a sippy cup. DS just turned 2 and he doesn't pay enough attention to use a regular cup (he spills everytime) so he just gets sippy cups and it's better that DD has sippy cups because he always manages to find her regular cups and spill those when she leaves them with liquid still inside.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #23
terrismez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD will be 5 in April & DD will be 3 in January - both still use sippy cups most of the time...

terrismez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #24
Kristi17
Registered Users
seller

My feeling is, if it's at the table then regular cup. But unless you want juice or water dripped all over your house (and ants to follow, lol) sippies are just fine! Plus they have "adult" looking sippys with straws and etc. I have one of those Foogo thermos cups for my DD and my sister just bought me an adult size one (same thing, different size) for my b-day
Old 12-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #25
LilyGrace
Registered Users

I'll be one to admit I don't like sippy cups much at all and prefer to see a child off of them as soon as possible. The spout style are horrendous when it comes to oral development - either they don't allow the lips to line up properly or they just don't help develop the muscles needed for speech.

I figure if a child can follow the rule of 'keep it at the table', they're too old for a sippy cup on a regular basis. I don't have any issue with straw cups or water bottles and find them handy for trips and bedtime, but I do not like sippy cups or how much they're pressed on children as a 'need'.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #26
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
I'll be one to admit I don't like sippy cups much at all and prefer to see a child off of them as soon as possible. The spout style are horrendous when it comes to oral development - either they don't allow the lips to line up properly or they just don't help develop the muscles needed for speech.

I figure if a child can follow the rule of 'keep it at the table', they're too old for a sippy cup on a regular basis. I don't have any issue with straw cups or water bottles and find them handy for trips and bedtime, but I do not like sippy cups or how much they're pressed on children as a 'need'.
ITA LillyGrace

We get rid of sippys before the 4th birthday, usually around 3. Even my 19monthold drinks from a regular glass (well plastic, not glass) at meals.

I don't allow food and water to be carried around the house and cups must stay on the kitchen table. This takes care of most of the spills (or at least isolates them) and makes sure we don't end up with hidden/nasty/ growing cups somewhere. It also teaches easy to follow food guidelines that lead to healthy eating habits rather then control issues later.

If we go out, or are in the car, we do cups with straws or sports bottles to prevent spills.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #27
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I traded to the foogo thermos with a straw. My son is perfectly capable of using a cup, but I do like for him to have a drink when we go out. It sure saves us money to not have to buy a drink while shopping or at the zoo, and I know it cant be spilled. I think there is no special age, but many children will request to use a "big boy" cup.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #28
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I think as long as an older child CAN drink from a regular cup under normal circumstances, there's nothing wrong with offering a sippy when the situation warrants an non-spillable cup. (By that, I mean that I do think it's a problem if parents never bother teaching their child the physicality of drinking from an open cup by an older age.) My son was still using a sippy in the car up until a few months ago when he finally got the dexterity to open and close the top on his water bottle well enough to be used in the car.

ETA: After reading some other responses I guess I should clarify what I mean by "sippy". I include straw cups in that category, too. Any non-open cup, I guess. I do think older children needing a non-open cup should be using a straw or sport-top cup, rather than a traditional spout sippy intended for very young children and toddlers.

Last edited by amphibology29; 12-12-2009 at 09:12 AM.
amphibology29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #29
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I think the reason dentist don't liek sippies is more because people let their kids walk around with milk, juice, koolaid, pop, stuff that will rot their teeth in the sippy ALL day. I don't think normal sippy use or only water would mess up their teeth. As a matter of fact my kids use sippy cups away from the table until they are 4-6 and they have very few cavities or other dental problems like misalligned teeth. They only get water in them. We drink very little milk and juice around here and if we do it's at the table and somewhere around 1.5-3 depending on the child, they start using a regular cup. My youngest ds uses a regular glass at the table with very little to no spills, but I have some not so graceful children who would still spill a lot at his age and it was easier to use a sippy. My oldest was one of those and she is now in the 10th grade and guess what? She doesn't have her sippy anymore and nobody would be able to guess that she used it until she was 5 or 6. In the whole scope of things, I don't think it really matters if they give it up at 2 or 5. They won't take it to college with them!! Now a water bottle......I won't even give mine up. I like to have it handy whenever I get thirsty.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #30
MommyMandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sippy cups are really bad for oral motor and speech development. They cause improper placement of the tongue. I'm not saying there is a right or wrong age, just info! Straws are a much better choice!