Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old is too old for a sippy cup?

I wouldn't call it 'wrong' because that passes judgement on those who use them.

Personally though, we quit them at 18 months completely.

Advertisement

Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #32
famvangurp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My LO's never took to the "traditional Sippy" and they prefer a lidded cup with a straw. They both take a NUBY No-Spill "sippy" at night with water...but for the most part they are both straw kids. When we are eating at the table, the use open cups, half full, and DS uses a straw. It's messy sometimes, but what are you going to do? I wouldn't put an age on the use of a lidded cup, as I am guilty of re-using my fast food cups with lids and straws on a regular basis. I like the "security" of lidded cups.
I also sell Perfectly Posh! Message me for link!
famvangurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #33
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibology29 View Post
I think as long as an older child CAN drink from a regular cup under normal circumstances, there's nothing wrong with offering a sippy when the situation warrants an non-spillable cup. (By that, I mean that I do think it's a problem if parents never bother teaching their child the physicality of drinking from an open cup by an older age.) My son was still using a sippy in the car up until a few months ago when he finally got the dexterity to open and close the top on his water bottle well enough to be used in the car.

ETA: After reading some other responses I guess I should clarify what I mean by "sippy". I include straw cups in that category, too. Any non-open cup, I guess. I do think older children needing a non-open cup should be using a straw or sport-top cup, rather than a traditional spout sippy intended for very young children and toddlers.
Yes- after reading the other responses, i guess what people are calling a sippy isn't my definition of a sippy, my daughter uses a flip top straw bottle and also a sports-type bottle and I still classify them as 'sippies' because they aren't open cups. And we don't put anything else in there other than water. Juice, milk etc is all served in a small glass at the dinner table. As far as affecting speech goes, she is far advanced in her speech development so I'm not worried about that.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #34
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

My kids all have sippies. They primarily drink from their sippies but the 4 and 2.5yr olds can and do drink from regular old cups at the dinner table. But as you pointed out its not even about their capabilities but about having open cups out where the baby can reach. My kids will drink more and stay better hydrated if they can carry their cups with them so it works for us. And frankly Super nanny may have some great suggestions but children and families are NOT one size fits all for various rules and things.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #35
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
I dislike "magic ages" that things are suddenly not okay. Who cares? Until they give away carpet on Saturday's for free, the sippy is my best friend! There are appropriate/inappropriate uses for everything.
exactly! My 5 year old still uses the straw kind of 'sippy cup'. Heck, sometimes I wish DH would use one! Water is very important to us (we don't do juices), so all of us, even the dog, always has access to fresh water 24/7. I don't care where were at, at the table, on the tile, on the carpet, upstairs, in the car or at the park, we all have water available and sippy cups just make life easier. I do however avoid the hard plastic bill type and buy only the BPA free flip top straw kind.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #36
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

My 5 year old and my 3 1/2 year old both still use sippy cups all the time. I love them, no messes, spills, EVER...not occasionally or most of the time, it eliminates them, and as a mom of 3 little ones, I am all about preventing accidents even if they're infrequent. They're only allowed to have drinks in the kitchen though, never in the car or the living room. I guess Jo would be horrified at my house
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #37
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 10yo still uses the occassional sippy cup in the living room. Of course she can use a cup but they all like sippies so why stop em?
Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #38
misstinytoes
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! Lots of different opinions on this! I decided I'm not too concerned about it. Though I would like to get rid of all of our older non-bpa free cups and I'll probably replace them with water bottles or siggs for both kids
Old 12-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #39
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
I dislike "magic ages" that things are suddenly not okay. Who cares? Until they give away carpet on Saturday's for free, the sippy is my best friend! There are appropriate/inappropriate uses for everything.
Well said! I agree.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #40
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

I agree with pp's...drinks without lids at the table and any type of cup with lid all other times.