Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do any of you co-sleeping mamas have babies that sleep through the night?

2 1/2 month old has been sleeping 6 hours for about 6 weeks now.
But last 2 weeks or more it's been 8-9 hours.
Dd is EBF though and sleeps in our bed but has her own space on her blanket.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
kmbrlyv
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD will be 6 months old on the 23rd and we've been cosleeping since she was 4 weeks old (was a little concerned about it before but LOVE IT now). She has been sleeping through the night since then. Before she used to go about 4 or 5 hours at a time...now she makes it from 10 till about 6 am!!!
kmbrlyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I co-sleep with my almost-29-month-old (since birth) and she was breastfed for the first 11 months (supplemented w/ formula during the day, but breastfed only at night) and she slept through the night starting just before she turned 3 months old. She was consistently doing it by 5 months.

She is a really heavy sleeper and has never been one to wake up more than 2-3x a night (even as a newborn). Nowadays (and for the last 2 years mostly) - she only wakes up if she's extra hungry or she's ill.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #14
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
great thread. actually something I am curious about because I honestly do not know any co-sleepers IRL where they are not BFing or their kids are not waking all night every night. I have to disagree that co-sleeping means that your child will be a good sleeper. First of all, everyone can have a different opinion of what a "good sleeper" is. From personal experience, both my girls have been much better sleepers in their cribs than with us although we did co-sleep for the first four months for each girl. The older went from waking several times at night to STTN for 12 hours in just a few days. The younger (4.5 months) nurses once or twice a night which is WAY better than our nights co sleeping. I do feel that a child can be taught to feel secure in their crib. OP, I am not trying to pressure you to change your sleeping situation, just putting in my two cents that co-sleeping does not necessarily mean a good sleeper.
Yep- i agree with this. I don't know anybody who co-sleeps and has a baby who sleeps through the night. I still BF my almost 2 year old but she has slept through the night since she was little, in a crib. We tried co-sleeping but none of us got any sleep that way. She slept in our room until she was 11 months, from about 8-11 months she started waking up through the night 2 or 3 times. Once we moved her to her own room she went back to sleeping through perfectly all night long. I honestly think that once they get to a certain age it's better for them to be in their own room, at least for sleep's sake! She was definitely aware of us being there and milk being on tap, and that is why she was waking up, even though she wasn't actually in our bed. But then again, some kids are probably different, and I can see why it's more 'natural' to co-sleep. I like the idea, but it just didn't work for us or our child.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #15
Mama'sPocket
Registered Users
Formerly: LizzieAG
seller

My Mood:

I have breastfed and co-slept with three kids and all of them have been different experiences.

#1 woke up every 1.5 hours from birth until..well she still wakes up often at 5 years old

#2 slept a 6 hour stretch, followed by a 4 hour stretch from 4 months old. The exception was teething and sickness, but for the most part he slept well.

#3 is currently 9 months old and is teething, but still sleeps from 10PM to roughly 5AM. Nurses and goes back to sleep until roughly 8AM.

Now that I have had more than two kids, I am finding more and more that personality of the child really effects sleep patterns from an early age. I recommend the book "The no cry sleep solution." It isn't a perfect book but has good ideas for helping encourage babies to sleep, even if you are co-sleeping.
Mama'sPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

I can't believe I am the only one so far who ff and cosleeps! (besides you mamas who bf'd for the first 6 months and now ff) I didn't realize I was THAT weird. DS has done 5 hour stretches followed by 4 hour stretches the last 3 nights. I was really spoiled because both of my girls STTN (8 hours) at 7 weeks. This guy, not so much, but now that he does a 5-hour stretch I only have to get up once a night, which is fabulous. I love cuddling with him, and even though I don't breastfeed I'm looking forward to cosleeping with my little boy for a long time.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I breast fed and co-slept (co-sleep) with both boys.

I DID suppliment with formula for DS1, and one of his supplimental feedings was during the night.

It was my experience that my kids slept better when co-sleeping, especially at the very young baby stage.

Now, my 4 year old starts off in his bed, but comes into my bed anywhere between 1 am and 5am.

My 2 year old starts in his own bed and more often than not sleeps through the night in his own room an gets up and comes to wake me and his brother up in the AM.

My children did wake up less when co-sleeping. And once we night weaned they woke up very infrequently when co-sleeping.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #18
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD will be 1 in about 2 weeks. She sleeps no longer than 90 minutes at any time of the day or night, and usually wakes up after one sleep cycle of 45 minutes. (we're pretty tired around here). She wants to be on the boob all night long.

But, our nephew coslept and was night weaned at 6 mos. After he was night weaned, he STTN (roughly 10pm-8am) while he continued to cosleep with my BIL and SIL.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #19
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMama View Post
I can't believe I am the only one so far who ff and cosleeps! (besides you mamas who bf'd for the first 6 months and now ff) I didn't realize I was THAT weird. DS has done 5 hour stretches followed by 4 hour stretches the last 3 nights. I was really spoiled because both of my girls STTN (8 hours) at 7 weeks. This guy, not so much, but now that he does a 5-hour stretch I only have to get up once a night, which is fabulous. I love cuddling with him, and even though I don't breastfeed I'm looking forward to cosleeping with my little boy for a long time.
You are NOT weird for co-sleeping and being a formula feeding mama. It's just not as common as BFing co-sleeping moms. I think it's great that you love being close to your baby.

I think one of the reasons that BFers co-sleep more than FFers.. is that when BFing, if you co-sleep, you don't have to get up every time the baby wakes up to eat. You can just pop the boobie in the mouth and you both go back to sleep.

Whereas, a Formula Feeder usually has to get up and go make the bottle, REGARDLESS of where the baby sleeps.

I also think that alot more BFers are more into the Attachment Parenting style than some FFers (NOT saying anything bad about Formula Feeders at all!! So please don't flame me, because I am NOT putting down Formula Feeders. I am simply stating my experience based on observation of formula feeding friends!).

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #20
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to add. While Co-sleeping is natural, normal, and best for MY family.. it is not best for ALL families.

Come children DO sleep better in their cribs than in a co-sleeping situation. Now that DS2 is sleeping through the night.. on the few occasions (about 2x a week) that he does winde up in bed with me, he's very adamant about not wanting to be touched. If he wakes up and has cuddled to me in his sleep, he'll grunt at me and push me and say "moo, moo" (MOVE! MOVE!). So while he slept better at first co-sleeping, now he needs his sleeping space. My 4 year old STILL prefers to be plastered to someones body for sleeping. LOL

So, I just wanted to support those mams who choose not to co-sleep. Dr.Sears said it best:

"The best place for your child to sleep, is where the whole family gets the most sleep."

God bless,
Michelle