Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #21
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do any of you co-sleeping mamas have babies that sleep through the night?

It's true that BFing tends to go with AP, and I'm probably somewhere in the middle-- I wanted to BF, but after a month of problem after problem I decided to FF. I babywear, cosleep, CD, etc., but don't mind letting him fuss for a few minutes when he lays down for a nap (now that I know he sleeps so much better when he falls asleep by himself)
Anyway, I find cosleeping more convenient even for FF, because I hear him when he first wakes up so he never gets a chance to get upset and start crying when he's hungry at night. Plus I just love the snuggles.

Advertisement

Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs

Last edited by MacMama; 12-12-2009 at 08:55 AM.
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's not just BFing that makes a parent into the Attachment Parenting type. It's being in tune with your child's needs. It's guiding them gently in love (and sometimes a little more harshly when it's needed). You shouldn't feel like you aren't attachment parenting JUST because you couldn't BF. From what you describe, you sound like an AP mommy to me!!

God bless!
Michellew

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #23
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMama View Post
Does anybody have a baby or toddler that STTN while cosleeping?
Errrrr... no. LOL. But that's fine with me.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #24
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I think Michelle had some good points especially the fact that co-sleeping isn't necessarily what is best for each family. BUT on a completely unrelated note, I feel that I am in tune with my child's needs but do not consider myself AP. I just think that it can do more harm than good to label yourself as this or that. It is fine to pick and choose from different parenting styles and tailor your own style to meet your kids needs.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

DD is still BF and co-sleeping, and she sleeps about 6-8 hours before waking to nurse again. Honestly, I think sleeping through the night is more about age and personal factors. My DS who is 5 years old still sometimes wakes up around 2 or 3 in the morning, but he's old enough that he just goes back to sleep without needing anything.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #26
Piper's Closet
Registered Users
Formerly: ewalk585 **DO NOT FSOT~ADMIN**

My Mood:

we are a co-sleeping, pop the things in the mouth family. it is the easiest way to get so sleep.
Piper's Closet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #27
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

nope no STTN here with an 8 month old
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #28
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I think Michelle had some good points especially the fact that co-sleeping isn't necessarily what is best for each family. BUT on a completely unrelated note, I feel that I am in tune with my child's needs but do not consider myself AP. I just think that it can do more harm than good to label yourself as this or that. It is fine to pick and choose from different parenting styles and tailor your own style to meet your kids needs.
Very well said!

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #29
carmismom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMama View Post
I can't believe I am the only one so far who ff and cosleeps! (besides you mamas who bf'd for the first 6 months and now ff) I didn't realize I was THAT weird. DS has done 5 hour stretches followed by 4 hour stretches the last 3 nights. I was really spoiled because both of my girls STTN (8 hours) at 7 weeks. This guy, not so much, but now that he does a 5-hour stretch I only have to get up once a night, which is fabulous. I love cuddling with him, and even though I don't breastfeed I'm looking forward to cosleeping with my little boy for a long time.
I don't know if it matters but DS was never breastfed, I had to pump the first 6 months and give it to him out of a bottle. I do regret co-sleeping but I think my case is an exception and should not be taken into consideration.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #30
sdevonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I do feel that a child can be taught to feel secure in their crib. OP, I am not trying to pressure you to change your sleeping situation, just putting in my two cents that co-sleeping does not necessarily mean a good sleeper.
Even though we co-sleep, ITA. I really think that it depends on the personality of the child. DS does not sleep any "better" than his sister who always slept in her crib.
I would say not to be concerned about the STTN as much as finding a situation that works best for all the parties involved. Just my ! Good luck, mama!