Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
kellyann6212003
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP !! I got a cold sore and I am so worried about my kids ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuthGuru View Post
i bet you know this, but just in case- make sure you are washing your hands if you touch the lesion.

you can spread it that way (both to others and to other places on your own body like your eyes AKA "herpes ocular" and fingers AKA "herpes zoster")
I know i read about these and saw pictures is was scary !!!
I have been washing and useing germx like CRAZY my hands are DRY becuase of how often i am doing it and i am not trying to actually touch it (inless i am applying hte releev) I SCRUB after that !!

Advertisement

Kayla 9, Alyssa 7, Hanna 6, Tyler 4 & Logan 2 & May 2014
kellyann6212003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
mamaholdyou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacks_mommy View Post
well, hate to break it to you, but most people will get the virus that causes cold sores at sometime in their lifetime. I dont see the harm that will come from kiss...
well...

I hate to even bring this up but when I was working at a children's hospital I watched a child die on her 3rd birthday from herpetic encephalitis because the herpes virus (cold sores) caught from a kiss from a relative had gone to her brain. Chances of this happening are very rare but it can happen.

The initial outbreak in an infant can be very nasty. If you are feeling not so squeamish go to google images and type in "HSV-1 primary infection"

I've managed to live to the age of 30 without one, DH never had one even though his mom gets them, she managed not to infect him. My dad never caught it from his mother (she probably never kissed him ever though, another topic for another day) My mother and grandmother dont get them so it is possible to live your life without getting them and without giving them to your kids.

Just be very careful and being on antiviral therapy helps, so does handwashing, so does not kissing on the lips. Also remember that even when you don't have an active lesion you can still shed the virus but when you do have a lesion the viral shedding is about 1000 times greater than without a lesion.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacks_mommy View Post
well, hate to break it to you, but most people will get the virus that causes cold sores at sometime in their lifetime. I dont see the harm that will come from kiss...
Little ones immune systems are much less developed than ours, which is why a 1 year old with HFM or one of those childhood diseases will get much more obvious and worse symptoms than an adult who gets it for the first time. It's a virus, just like any other, and my friend's 18 month old got it from her dad when he had a cold sore. She got sores all over her mouth, face, fingers etc, and was miserable, understandably. Plus then she couldn't go to daycare or anything until they were all gone, and they also had a 3 month old baby and had to try and stop her from kissing and touching the baby. An adult can avoid kissing somebody, but how do you tell a child to do that? Yeah most people will come into contact with it at some stage, but i don't think it's ok to knowingly expose your kids.

Last edited by jeebee; 12-12-2009 at 08:43 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
monicadd
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Little ones immune systems are much less developed than ours, which is why a 1 year old with HFM or one of those childhood diseases will get much more obvious and worse symptoms than an adult who gets it for the first time. It's a virus, just like any other, and my friend's 18 month old got it from her dad when he had a cold sore. She got sores all over her mouth, face, fingers etc, and was miserable, understandably. Plus then she couldn't go to daycare or anything until they were all gone, and they also had a 3 month old baby and had to try and stop her from kissing and touching the baby. An adult can avoid kissing somebody, but how do you tell a child to do that? Yeah most people will come into contact with it at some stage, but i don't think it's ok to knowingly expose your kids.
I agree. Plus its WAY more painful for a child. I had canker sores and herpes virus all over my mouth and inside when i was 18mths old. My mom said she has never seen me scream so much as a small child. the sore kept me from eating well and drinking well. Where an adult can just brush past the pain and knows they have to drink, a child dont. there ARE ways NOT to spread it. AS ive helped to advise this mama. She can kiss her babies on the toes or tummy. Its hard to not love on your baby. But she has a duty to know that she should do anything she can not to spread it. AND SHE DOES> she is trying so so so hard to not infect anyone else. She is very responsible.
Devoted and Gorgeous DH CJ
monicadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #15
Everywhere
Registered Users

My husband has an immune disorder and is chronically dealing with cold sores, to the point where he takes Valtrex pretty much regularly.

I have never had a cold sore in my life, not even in the 5 yrs we've been married. It's not something I ever do want to get, because once you have it you always have it-- no thanks.

Do be careful with your kids. Especially if you ever have any more babies. There was recently case near us, within the last year I think, a mother gave birth to her baby, and at the time she didn't know that she was developing her very first cold sore. Well, her newborn ended up contracting it days later and died. So just please be careful with your little ones.

I know it's tough, the not kissing. Dh and I don't kiss, and it was hard at first, but we've just learned to express casual affection in other ways.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
kellyann6212003
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaholdyou View Post
well...

I hate to even bring this up but when I was working at a children's hospital I watched a child die on her 3rd birthday from herpetic encephalitis because the herpes virus (cold sores) caught from a kiss from a relative had gone to her brain. Chances of this happening are very rare but it can happen.

The initial outbreak in an infant can be very nasty. If you are feeling not so squeamish go to google images and type in "HSV-1 primary infection"

I've managed to live to the age of 30 without one, DH never had one even though his mom gets them, she managed not to infect him. My dad never caught it from his mother (she probably never kissed him ever though, another topic for another day) My mother and grandmother dont get them so it is possible to live your life without getting them and without giving them to your kids.

Just be very careful and being on antiviral therapy helps, so does handwashing, so does not kissing on the lips. Also remember that even when you don't have an active lesion you can still shed the virus but when you do have a lesion the viral shedding is about 1000 times greater than without a lesion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everywhere View Post
My husband has an immune disorder and is chronically dealing with cold sores, to the point where he takes Valtrex pretty much regularly.

I have never had a cold sore in my life, not even in the 5 yrs we've been married. It's not something I ever do want to get, because once you have it you always have it-- no thanks.

Do be careful with your kids. Especially if you ever have any more babies. There was recently case near us, within the last year I think, a mother gave birth to her baby, and at the time she didn't know that she was developing her very first cold sore. Well, her newborn ended up contracting it days later and died. So just please be careful with your little ones.

I know it's tough, the not kissing. Dh and I don't kiss, and it was hard at first, but we've just learned to express casual affection in other ways.

OH mommas why did y ou have to add this, My youngest is 7mths old - thats horriable about the newborn dieing , well this offically made it worse but thats ok I got the adivce i wanted as well

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
kellyann6212003
Registered Users
seller

OMG I am crying and crying and feel like .. horriable I just read more about this and its just not fair, I dont even know how i got it me and my BF havent kissed in like i dont know how long reallyyyyy the doc said it can be in hte air or at teh store teh wagon every one touchs !

I cant stand the thought of having a new born baby and being afraid of kissing it thats like cruel dont cha think - but when its dormint not active then your ok right ?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
monicadd
Registered Users

My Mood:

Like i said mama. Ive had them since i was 18mth and have 3 children and NONE of them have it. Its just a precaution mama. Dont stress over it.
Devoted and Gorgeous DH CJ
monicadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #19
kellyann6212003
Registered Users
seller

I m trying momma but - its not fair that I will have it for ever so now even when it goes away ill think about this when i am able to kiss them I LOVE kissing my kids and now what i am going to feel dirty or guilty ?

thanks every one for there help .........

Old 12-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #20
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicadd View Post
Like i said mama. Ive had them since i was 18mth and have 3 children and NONE of them have it. Its just a precaution mama. Dont stress over it.
Yep- don't stress, it'll be fine! It'll be over in a week, it's not that long really and you can go back to normal. My DH has never gotten the virus from me, and neither has my LO, and i don't remember thinking it was too big a deal when I got an outbreak last year, i just took precautions. I think the first outbreak is supposedly the worst, but you'll be over it soon, it's not that bad!