Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 AM   #21
kellyann6212003
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP !! I got a cold sore and I am so worried about my kids ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Yep- don't stress, it'll be fine! It'll be over in a week, it's not that long really and you can go back to normal. My DH has never gotten the virus from me, and neither has my LO, and i don't remember thinking it was too big a deal when I got an outbreak last year, i just took precautions. I think the first outbreak is supposedly the worst, but you'll be over it soon, it's not that bad!
Hey momma thankyou -- and i did read that its sapose to worse the first time but this is just one small one and I TELL ya over night the releev worked WELL its almost gone, when are you sapose to start putting vasaline ?

Advertisement

Kayla 9, Alyssa 7, Hanna 6, Tyler 4 & Logan 2 & May 2014
kellyann6212003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #22
Everywhere
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyann6212003 View Post
OMG I am crying and crying and feel like .. horriable I just read more about this and its just not fair, I dont even know how i got it me and my BF havent kissed in like i dont know how long reallyyyyy the doc said it can be in hte air or at teh store teh wagon every one touchs !

I cant stand the thought of having a new born baby and being afraid of kissing it thats like cruel dont cha think - but when its dormint not active then your ok right ?

I am really sorry that you reacted that way, I didn't bring it up to make you feel horrible, the only reason I brought it up because a lot of the replies seemed to be saying "It's no big deal, don't even worry about it" when really you DO need to take some precautions. Dying would be an extreme situation, but I was just trying to emphasize that little one's immune systems don't handle this virus very well. It just seemed like people were brushing it off as harmless. I had a scare when my oldest was little, less than a year old...I noticed a sore on her lip, and brought her in to the Dr. I had mentioned that my husband had cold sores, and maybe she got it from him (not knowing at that time how serious it can be for babies) The Ped got VERY concerned and we watched her like a hawk until they figured out it wasn't anything at all, just a little lip sore (maybe from biting her lip) But like I said, before that, I didn't really realize it either.
So I was just trying to inform because not everyone knows.

You should look it up just to be sure when the contagious stage is, but I'm pretty sure when it's dormant you are completely fine, but something to look up.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Try and pick up some Lypsil. It is pretty amazing stuff. My sister got some for her cold sores and they were gone in 2-3 days. So I got some for my dd and the same thing. She had a huge one and put some Lypsil on there before bed. The cold sore was almost gone the next morning. You had to get close to even see it on her lip. We got it at Rite Aid for $6.99. I'm sure you could find it at any other drug store also.

As far as spreading them. My sister got them when she was a toddler from my step sister kissing her when she had a cold sore. None of the rest of the family ever got it (7 other kids). My oldest dd snuck into my sister's drink when she had a cold sore and caught it when she was around 9 years old. None of the rest of us have got it and neither have my sister's kids. She is more careful about not leaving her drinks laying around when she has a cold sore now. I just wish she would have listened to me before a kid got it. My dd is careful too. She puts all her dishes dorectly into the sink, not even leaviing them on the counter. When I was researching it I found that there is a very, very small possibility of passing it on when you don't have a cold sore if the virus comes to the surface and you don't get a cold sore, which can happen I guess. But that is very rare. Also many people get the virus once and never get another cold sore. They get immunity to it after the virus gets into their body, which makes sense because that's how our immune system is supposed to handle a virus.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #24
kellyann6212003
Registered Users
seller

I will deff try this stuff - I am glad i posted about this though i didnt expect as much traffic but if you look the topic up it is very common !

I LOVE DS mommas !!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #25
mamaholdyou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh please don't cry. I'm sorry I dont want to be hurtful but I also brought it up because it seems that people can be very casual about it and it can be very serious as the virus itself is a neurotoxin. Its not something everyone has to have if people would just be careful.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
kellyann6212003
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP !! I got a cold sore and I am so worried about my kids ......**UPDATE**

so after 3 days I just didnt see a huge diff and so i started really looking and thinking of diff ways to google it, ITS NOT a cold sore and its commonly confused with one but its called ANGULAR CHEILITIS
http://www.angular-cheilitis-center....gular-cheiltis

it really is a BAD case of chaped lips and then bacterial infection allot of the smae triggers as a cold sore for ex low immiune BUT Its not contagious !!!
I am going to make a apt with the dermotologist

OH mommas do you even know how happy i am ??? !!!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #27
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is my understanding that it can be contagious even if you don't have an active infection. At least, that's what I've been told about the canker sores that I have gotten ever since I can remember. DD had her first canker sore by the time she was 2. It was uncomfortable for her, but she was ok. I'm sure that she caught it from one of us, but I honestly don't feel the least bit guilty about it or as though I somehow wasn't cautious enough. DS1 gets them on occasion and DS2 hasn't had one yet. The virus is out there, so it is possible that it came from someone licking something random in public as well.
I say not to stress over it personally. Wash your hands and kiss your kids. Introduce them to butterfly and eskimo kisses. Do extra snuggling. Don't panic if one of them accidentally brushes your sore.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #28
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP !! I got a cold sore and I am so worried about my kids ......**UPDATE**

I wouldn't stress over it too much. I read a study that said 90% of people have caught the virus by the time they are 40. And as a pp said, it's not just when you have a cold sore that they are contagious.