Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
bgb699
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How do I get my kid to eat veggies?

We have the same issue with our DD. We buy V8 Fusion for her to drink. It has carrots, beets, tomatoes and sweet potatoes in it without any added sugars and no HFCS. It's not a replacement for eating veggies, but I figure any bit of nutrient helps.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #12
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also make up fun names, I've read. Get pics of rabbits eating carrots and ask her if she wants 'rabbit sticks'. Celery could be 'dinosaur tails'. You get the idea.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
For Ava, I would give her the veggies first & nothing else til she ate them all. If I give her a plate of food - chicken, green beans, apples, bread - she'll eat everything & leave the veggies for last. By giving them to her before she was distracted by all the other things, she would eat a good amount each time!
this is exactly what i do too. and i let the kids eat raw veggies while i cook dinner, so even if they don't eat a lot of vegetables with dinner, i know they got them while they were waiting.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
Puree them and sneak them in stuff. Still offer them whole, but in the meantime he'll get some on the sly.
like Deceptively Delicious or Sneaky Chef..
We do this all the time. I even sneak spinach in their brownies! Cauliflower or white squash in their scrambled eggs.. no problems here!
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #15
Newton
Registered Users

My DD used to eat veggies no problem, then I was in the hospital and DH was in charge and veggies were limited to say the least, now she only wants meat and fruit.
What I have done, when she gets home from daycare and is famished she gets veggies only. For dinner, I give her veggies first, keep her meat and startch out of sight on the counter, once she has had some veggies then the rest of her meal gets presented.
Some of her favourites are: corn, mushrooms, asparagus.
Her least favourite: anything mushy sweet potato, squash, potato (I think it reminds her of baby food.
As well, if we put it on a fork so she can feed herself, that is much cooler!!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #16
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
For Ava, I would give her the veggies first & nothing else til she ate them all. If I give her a plate of food - chicken, green beans, apples, bread - she'll eat everything & leave the veggies for last. By giving them to her before she was distracted by all the other things, she would eat a good amount each time!
I actually tried this with my DD once - she went 24 hours without eating, getting nothing but a cup of water at each meal. I gave up after that.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #17
RobinP92202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys like their veggies raw or barely steamed most of the time. I like to give them a salad with their favorite dressing (raspberry vinaigrette) while I am finishing up with dinner. They eat raw baby spinach and most greens that way. They have baby carrots every day with lunch.

Sometimes if they are being particularly stubborn, I will do goofy things like give them a big piece of broccoli and tease that it needs a "haircut" and they will bite the florets off. My boys respond well to silliness, haha.

I will add pumpkin to pancake batter and tons of extra veggies in spaghetti sauce (I just puree it at the end and they have no idea). I find that adding veggies to fried rice or putting them in with pasta, butter, and parmesan gets them to try more things as well.

We also talk a lot about nutrition and food groups. We point out which foods on their plates are in which groups and they know they need to eat some from each group to have a balanced meal. Helps keep me in check too, making sure I offer some variety!

Last edited by RobinP92202; 12-14-2009 at 06:49 AM.
RobinP92202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #18
bellaprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

most of the sneak them in things have been mentioned. I just wanted to add that it can take up to 30 exposures to a food for a child to start to "like" it, so hang in there and don't give up.
Maggie(10.21.05) & Avah(06.01.07)
bellaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
twirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No real advice here, just wanted to commiserate. DD was a great eater as a baby; there was nothing she didn't like! Now we do all the right things (offer a lot, variety, let her pick, eat them with her, etc.) and she just refuses nearly all veggies. I've had hit-or-miss luck with adding them in things, but she will drink the low-sodium V-8, so I figure that's something.

I'm hoping it's just a really long phase.