Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is it safe to use older baby gear?

I have a bassinet, pack N play and swing that I am starting to wonder about. The bassinet is 12 years old, in seemingly good shape except the support board is slightly bowed from too heavy children sitting in it and the mattress will need to be replaced. The pack N play is a 14 year old Graco with the removable bassinet attachment. It looks perfect except my 2 yo just broke one of the mattress support boards (it has 4 sections) causing it to sag a little on one side. The swing...I'm not sure how old it is actually, at least 7 years old... a loaner from my neighbor...it has seen it's better days and has practically no padding in the seat, but it is still functional.

I'm a bit of a pack rat, that's why I still have this old stuff. It's from when my older kids were babies. I was so proud of how nice all the old baby stuff looked and then I started seeing little defects that I mentioned and googled it. Most of what I found doesn't recommend using anything older than the later 2000s. This stuff is 1996, 1998 stuff. What do you mamas think? I hate to buy new baby gear for my soon to be born baby if the baby gear I already have is fine. But, I would certainly find the money on some newer stuff if it's not safe.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
rle376@hotmail.com
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is it safe to use older baby gear?

Because of the wear it is showing I would replace it. If you do decide to keep it I would call the companies and check on recalls.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it was all in perfect condition (used, faded fabric is fine, but nothing broken at all) I'd say it would be fine. Obviously (and I know you're not asking about them, but still) you'd never use a car seat that old.

But since you say that the supports of the bassinet and p&p are broken a bit, I probably wouldn't risk it - I'd be worried about the baby rolling or squirming to that part and getting stuck or something. Like the Amby recall thing, is what's in my mind.
If the swing is fine and still swings - just doesn't have lots of padding - I'd keep that and use it. No biggie.
But I'd just buy a new P&P with the bassinet part - I wouldn't bother buying a separate bassinet.

FTR I have both a bassinet and a P&P with bassinet - but we did have a need for both in our last house! I plan to use the bassinet for the first few weeks/month and then move to the P&P bassinet. After that I'm not sure - we're debating about cribs and whatnot after this huge recall.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I don't take risks with older baby stuff and I am also a penny pincher like you. I learned my lesson after accepting a used baby swing from a relative that appeared to be in decent shape. the entire thing collapsed on my infant and she was hanging upside down out of it. it was the most horrible mommy moment.....getting ill just thinking about it. i would check for recalls and not use any item that is in poor shape in any way. you can by other used items that are in much better condition. don't take a chance with your little ones. they are too precious to take the chance with second rate equipment.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Makes good sense! Thanks for the advice! Sadly enough, I could buy a brand new pNp with the bassinet insert for the amount I was going to spend to put a new mattress in the bassinet and a mattress pad in the pNp. I know I spent more on that pNp back when I bought it new. That and the darned things still "look" so good. No fading or visible wear and tear at all. It kills me that they are essentially junk. I dunno, maybe it's just the nostalgia of it...you know, my first babies used them and all that.