Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

need feeding help for 1 year old.

he's been throwing things from his highchair for months. if he's not hungry, doesn't want it, sees the dog nearby (we keep the dog away from the kitchen), or just for fun. I've tried everything and nothing helps. tellling him no, ignoring it, taking him out of the chair, even tapping his hand (which didn't even faze him except for the first time i did it).

and he doesn't care if he doesn't eat. he just asks to nurse more. i never feed him between meals, he only gets a sippy with meals and it's limited or he just fills up on milk. he only gets fed in his chair, he would rather run around the house snacking all day but he makes a huge mess and can't eat all food like yogurt on the run.

his weight gain is being affected and we now have to give him a can of pediasure every day. i tried giving it to him in the morning then at night, neither way makes a difference.

i'm ready to just not feed him any solids except dinner. i'm so tired of making food, then picking it up off the floor, scrubbing it off the walls, and wasting it.

he's 14 months old and i know breastmilk is best but nursing is interfering with solids. i'm about ready to quit that too.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
WhiteRockMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: need feeding help for 1 year old.

My daughter does the same thing. Its super annoying.

Have you tried just giving him a little bit of food at a time and then replenishing his tray when hes finished the first bit?

When my daughter starts throwing food I tell her no and just walk away. She eventually stops.

WhiteRockMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

My daughter throws a lot too. And I get very tired of picking it up. For her one thing that seems to help is giving her dishes and flatware (baby stuff) on her tray. Sometimes, (but I wouldn't say usually) she is willing to move food on and off the dishes rather than on and off the tray. Usually though I am picking things up off the floor. Other things that help are limiting time in the high chair and only giving a little food at once.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Can you just go to all spoon fed items at least until he gets his weight up? In general, I do believe that children will eat when they are hungry but if he is losing weight, that is a bit alarming. Can you limit is nursing and partially wean? Are you ready to wean anyway or not?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

i'd like to make it 4 more months to get him to 18 months. but I don't know if it's worth it. he has refused to let us spoon feed him since he was 7 months old so that's not an option. for a while giving him bowls and spoons/forks helped but the novelty has worn off. now he just uses those to throw as well. and a bowl full of yogurt makes quite an explosion.

giving him little bits doesn't make a difference either, though that's what i've been doing since there is less mess and less waste, but he doesn't eat hardly anything. he's supposed to be getting 300 calories from milk (which he gets with his pediasure) and 400 calories from food. he's lucky if he gets 200. the rest of his calories come from breastmilk and i have always had a low supply even on domperidone. i stopped the domperidone a few months ago because he seemed to be weaning but he has picked it up full force with all 4 of his molars coming in at the same time right now. I don't know if I should be limiting him during the day or not. My supply could dry up or he could STILL refuse to eat AND not be getting breastmilk
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
carsonsmommy1108
Registered Users
seller

if you find out how to fix it...let me know! We're going through the same thing right now...he is a total boob-aholic and I had finally gotten him down to only nursing every 2.5-3 hours (sometimes as much as 4 hours!) about a month and a half ago, but now with the food throwing he's wanting to nurse hourly...
carsonsmommy1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going through the same thing with my little string bean whos 14 months as well. He only wants to feed himself and I usually end up cleaning a large part of that off the ground. I've tried giving him things one at a time it still doesn't help. I'm just at the point that I'd rather clean up the mess in my house as long as I know hes eating something.
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
TeganFlannery
Registered Users

Isn't it so annoying? And we're a foodie family, too, so the food he's throwing on the floor is GOOD food, too!

Punishment is not seeming to cut it, so I've been just taking away the food plate when he throws and saying calmly, "we respect food in our house" or "on your plate or in your mouth", then giving HUGE smiles and praise if he either:

1. Puts the food he was holding over the ground back on his plate or
2. Eats it

He's 19 months, and it's helping, but I'm still cleaning every night.

Is there anything he DOESN'T throw? My son eats eggs, and all his eggs, every time. Just feed him that only for a few days (seriously!) and see if you can start a new habit.

I know it's frustrating... If I added up the cost of all that wasted food... SIGH. Good luck!
TeganFlannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This sound's just like my ds! He would throw his bowl or plate at EVERY meal, he did it from the time he was about 14monthes to around 20monthes. Nothing I did seemed to make any difference. He also started to get skinny and was trying to just nurse instead of eat. I told him, if you throw your food, then you are done and would take him down from his chair. I tried to concentate on giving him filling foods that he liked, he loved oatmeal, eggs, and banana's. When he asked to nurse, I would offer a drink and healthy snack and nurse him after. I don't know what changed, but he did quit throwing his food and now loves to eat a wide variety of food. I think maybe the key is to be consistant? Just know that he will come through this stage, and you don't have to wean him (unless you want to)!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another thing that I did to help myself with all the cleanup, was to just put little bits of food on his plate or in his bowl and give him more if he finished it! He also seemed proud when he finished it and liked to say "MORE!" Less waste, less cleanup!!