Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 2yo is making me crazy...ideas please.

I seems like she is doing all these naughty things for my attention but it's hard to give it to her when I'm busy cleaning up the messes she makes while being naughty. She finds things hidden somewhere and will dump it out. Syrup, makeup, shampoo, baby oil. Pulls pictures off the wall, rips up books, colors all over everything, dumps out my plants. I'm holding her most of the day, I rock her to sleep at night, she sleeps in my bed. I don't know what else to do. She's breaking me down.

Advertisement

Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My 2yo is making me crazy...ideas please.

I would make some things that she can dump out, pour out. Get some empty shampoo bottles or whatever, fill them with colored water or something similar, take her outside and let her dump them. Maybe go to the dollar store and get some very cheap hair gel or shaving cream and send her outside for a nice messy time.

Get some magazines that you don't care about and tell her 'we don't rip books, but you can rip these' and try to keep a stash. Catalogs, I know I get a ton in the mail.

things like that. I feel that children have legitimate needs to rip and dump and squirt. And hopefully, if you give them an avenue to do it that doesn't hurt anything, they'll get it out of their system.

but impulse control is almost nonexistent for a 2yo. so, ways to safely exercise those impulses are key.

ETA: reminds me of the photo on my friend's facebook wall this morning of her son with a ton of sugar all over himself and the stairs.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I would make some things that she can dump out, pour out. Get some empty shampoo bottles or whatever, fill them with colored water or something similar, take her outside and let her dump them. Maybe go to the dollar store and get some very cheap hair gel or shaving cream and send her outside for a nice messy time.

Get some magazines that you don't care about and tell her 'we don't rip books, but you can rip these' and try to keep a stash. Catalogs, I know I get a ton in the mail.

things like that. I feel that children have legitimate needs to rip and dump and squirt. And hopefully, if you give them an avenue to do it that doesn't hurt anything, they'll get it out of their system.

but impulse control is almost nonexistent for a 2yo. so, ways to safely exercise those impulses are key.

ETA: reminds me of the photo on my friend's facebook wall this morning of her son with a ton of sugar all over himself and the stairs.
Haha! That was her last night but it was garlic salt and the couch!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

Yes, this. My 2yo sounds just like yours and I'm 33 weeks pregnant and feel like I'm waddling around after a tornado. We do a lot of messy activities outside. Her favorite is squeeze/squirt/pour from No Time For Flashcards. Not that she doesn't still make messes inside, but it focuses her on a non-destructive activity for a while instead!
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'll have to do this in the tub. Outside isn't an option right now. Mosquitos at night and too hot during the day! You know, I bet that's the problem! Not enough outside time!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I'll have to do this in the tub. Outside isn't an option right now. Mosquitos at night and too hot during the day! You know, I bet that's the problem! Not enough outside time!
yes, outdoor time is SO important

bathtubs are good for messy play too. Or if you have a walmart that still has the cheap plastic pools. In that case, maybe she'll start understanding that messes have to be in the pool
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ideas:
- finger paints (on lots of newspaper/garbage bags)
- soapy water/bubbles in the sink
- any indoor nature centers near you? I love to take the kid there.
- home made play dough
- and lots of childproof cabinet locks!

Good luck!!!!! I have a two year old too. Hug.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoonchi
Ideas:
- finger paints (on lots of newspaper/garbage bags)
- soapy water/bubbles in the sink
- any indoor nature centers near you? I love to take the kid there.
- home made play dough
- and lots of childproof cabinet locks!

Good luck!!!!! I have a two year old too. Hug.
The funny thing is, we have locks on every single cabinet! I don't know where she gets half this stuff. It must be the littles leaving it out?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
toys2teach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is almost 4 and she still does this. She is way worst then my 2.5 year old actually. I really do think some children just feel that need for ripping, dumping and pouring. Just yesterday she painted her brother's comforter with fingernail polish, dumped regular paint on my husband's keyboard, poured out the entire bag of shredded cheese and covered herself in mud both while playing outside and while at soccer practice for her brother. The thing is she is never unsupervised for more than a few minutes while I switch over laundry or clean up one of her various other messes. I can't offer much advice but I feel you on this one! My daughter does LOVE to play in the tub with lotion and shaving cream. Totally worth a couple of dollars at the $1 store. It doesn't keep her from getting into other things, but it is nice to be able to encourage the mess instead of getting mad about a mess she is making for a change!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2teach
My daughter is almost 4 and she still does this. She is way worst then my 2.5 year old actually. I really do think some children just feel that need for ripping, dumping and pouring. Just yesterday she painted her brother's comforter with fingernail polish, dumped regular paint on my husband's keyboard, poured out the entire bag of shredded cheese and covered herself in mud both while playing outside and while at soccer practice for her brother. The thing is she is never unsupervised for more than a few minutes while I switch over laundry or clean up one of her various other messes. I can't offer much advice but I feel you on this one! My daughter does LOVE to play in the tub with lotion and shaving cream. Totally worth a couple of dollars at the $1 store. It doesn't keep her from getting into other things, but it is nice to be able to encourage the mess instead of getting mad about a mess she is making for a change!
Wow! My life!