Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Tina5834's Avatar
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 11,370
My Mood:
My 2yo is making me crazy...ideas please.

I seems like she is doing all these naughty things for my attention but it's hard to give it to her when I'm busy cleaning up the messes she makes while being naughty. She finds things hidden somewhere and will dump it out. Syrup, makeup, shampoo, baby oil. Pulls pictures off the wall, rips up books, colors all over everything, dumps out my plants. I'm holding her most of the day, I rock her to sleep at night, she sleeps in my bed. I don't know what else to do. She's breaking me down.

Advertisement

Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange's Avatar
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mountain Home, ID
Posts: 7,418
My Mood:
Re: My 2yo is making me crazy...ideas please.

I would make some things that she can dump out, pour out. Get some empty shampoo bottles or whatever, fill them with colored water or something similar, take her outside and let her dump them. Maybe go to the dollar store and get some very cheap hair gel or shaving cream and send her outside for a nice messy time.

Get some magazines that you don't care about and tell her 'we don't rip books, but you can rip these' and try to keep a stash. Catalogs, I know I get a ton in the mail.

things like that. I feel that children have legitimate needs to rip and dump and squirt. And hopefully, if you give them an avenue to do it that doesn't hurt anything, they'll get it out of their system.

but impulse control is almost nonexistent for a 2yo. so, ways to safely exercise those impulses are key.

ETA: reminds me of the photo on my friend's facebook wall this morning of her son with a ton of sugar all over himself and the stairs.
__________________
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Tina5834's Avatar
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 11,370
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I would make some things that she can dump out, pour out. Get some empty shampoo bottles or whatever, fill them with colored water or something similar, take her outside and let her dump them. Maybe go to the dollar store and get some very cheap hair gel or shaving cream and send her outside for a nice messy time.

Get some magazines that you don't care about and tell her 'we don't rip books, but you can rip these' and try to keep a stash. Catalogs, I know I get a ton in the mail.

things like that. I feel that children have legitimate needs to rip and dump and squirt. And hopefully, if you give them an avenue to do it that doesn't hurt anything, they'll get it out of their system.

but impulse control is almost nonexistent for a 2yo. so, ways to safely exercise those impulses are key.

ETA: reminds me of the photo on my friend's facebook wall this morning of her son with a ton of sugar all over himself and the stairs.
Haha! That was her last night but it was garlic salt and the couch!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
kangasox's Avatar
kangasox
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southeastern US
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I would make some things that she can dump out, pour out. Get some empty shampoo bottles or whatever, fill them with colored water or something similar, take her outside and let her dump them. Maybe go to the dollar store and get some very cheap hair gel or shaving cream and send her outside for a nice messy time.

Get some magazines that you don't care about and tell her 'we don't rip books, but you can rip these' and try to keep a stash. Catalogs, I know I get a ton in the mail.

things like that. I feel that children have legitimate needs to rip and dump and squirt. And hopefully, if you give them an avenue to do it that doesn't hurt anything, they'll get it out of their system.

but impulse control is almost nonexistent for a 2yo. so, ways to safely exercise those impulses are key.

ETA: reminds me of the photo on my friend's facebook wall this morning of her son with a ton of sugar all over himself and the stairs.
Yes, this. My 2yo sounds just like yours and I'm 33 weeks pregnant and feel like I'm waddling around after a tornado. We do a lot of messy activities outside. Her favorite is squeeze/squirt/pour from No Time For Flashcards. Not that she doesn't still make messes inside, but it focuses her on a non-destructive activity for a while instead!
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Tina5834's Avatar
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 11,370
My Mood:
I'll have to do this in the tub. Outside isn't an option right now. Mosquitos at night and too hot during the day! You know, I bet that's the problem! Not enough outside time!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange's Avatar
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mountain Home, ID
Posts: 7,418
My Mood:
Re: My 2yo is making me crazy...ideas please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I'll have to do this in the tub. Outside isn't an option right now. Mosquitos at night and too hot during the day! You know, I bet that's the problem! Not enough outside time!
yes, outdoor time is SO important

bathtubs are good for messy play too. Or if you have a walmart that still has the cheap plastic pools. In that case, maybe she'll start understanding that messes have to be in the pool
__________________
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
hokoonchi's Avatar
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,679
My Mood:
Ideas:
- finger paints (on lots of newspaper/garbage bags)
- soapy water/bubbles in the sink
- any indoor nature centers near you? I love to take the kid there.
- home made play dough
- and lots of childproof cabinet locks!

Good luck!!!!! I have a two year old too. Hug.
__________________
Camilla. Mom to Sam (9.13.10) and partner to Eric (6.16.07). Currently living the best years of my life. Focusing on health in 2012.
hokoonchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Tina5834's Avatar
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 11,370
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoonchi
Ideas:
- finger paints (on lots of newspaper/garbage bags)
- soapy water/bubbles in the sink
- any indoor nature centers near you? I love to take the kid there.
- home made play dough
- and lots of childproof cabinet locks!

Good luck!!!!! I have a two year old too. Hug.
The funny thing is, we have locks on every single cabinet! I don't know where she gets half this stuff. It must be the littles leaving it out?
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
toys2teach's Avatar
toys2teach
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,257
My Mood:
Re: My 2yo is making me crazy...ideas please.

My daughter is almost 4 and she still does this. She is way worst then my 2.5 year old actually. I really do think some children just feel that need for ripping, dumping and pouring. Just yesterday she painted her brother's comforter with fingernail polish, dumped regular paint on my husband's keyboard, poured out the entire bag of shredded cheese and covered herself in mud both while playing outside and while at soccer practice for her brother. The thing is she is never unsupervised for more than a few minutes while I switch over laundry or clean up one of her various other messes. I can't offer much advice but I feel you on this one! My daughter does LOVE to play in the tub with lotion and shaving cream. Totally worth a couple of dollars at the $1 store. It doesn't keep her from getting into other things, but it is nice to be able to encourage the mess instead of getting mad about a mess she is making for a change!
__________________
Montessori/Waldorf inspired toys. Kid friendly nativity sets,educational games,stacking puzzles,matching/sorting/counting games and more!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/made4munchkins?ref=si_shop
toys2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Tina5834's Avatar
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 11,370
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2teach
My daughter is almost 4 and she still does this. She is way worst then my 2.5 year old actually. I really do think some children just feel that need for ripping, dumping and pouring. Just yesterday she painted her brother's comforter with fingernail polish, dumped regular paint on my husband's keyboard, poured out the entire bag of shredded cheese and covered herself in mud both while playing outside and while at soccer practice for her brother. The thing is she is never unsupervised for more than a few minutes while I switch over laundry or clean up one of her various other messes. I can't offer much advice but I feel you on this one! My daughter does LOVE to play in the tub with lotion and shaving cream. Totally worth a couple of dollars at the $1 store. It doesn't keep her from getting into other things, but it is nice to be able to encourage the mess instead of getting mad about a mess she is making for a change!
Wow! My life!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.