Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Info about San Antonio please

We're moving there this spring/summer.

What are the best schools and neighborhoods? Especially with a 15 min or less commute from Wilford Hall/Lackland AFB?

Best ballet class?

Best gymnastics class?

Good preschools?

Can you recommend a realtor?

Where do you grocery shop?

Is there a produce co op? I currently get organic local produce delivered, I'd like to continue that there. What about milk delivery?

Good gardeners?

Any other info is great, including things to avoid! TIA!

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Info about San Antonio please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post

What are the best schools and neighborhoods? Especially with a 15 min or less commute from Wilford Hall/Lackland AFB?

Lackland is not on my favorite side of town so I am not there much since I got out of the military.. can't help sorry!

Best ballet class?

We never did ballet

Best gymnastics class?

As a child I went to Sunburst Gymnastics which is on the NW side (Mainland Rd. off of Bandera Rd.) - I was a competitive gymnast though, training 3x/day 7 days/wk and it was really great there.. I tried lots of gyms and this was my favorite. It was great for the tiny ones too..

Good preschools?

There are a lot of nationally known realtors - ReMax, etc.. I don't know any specifics, I know Swope is big up my way but that's about it AFAIK.

Sun Harvest (like Whole Foods) there's one on 281 @ Loop 1604, and one at I-10/410. I also use the HEB Plus.

Is there a produce co op? I currently get organic local produce delivered, I'd like to continue that there. What about milk delivery?

IDK about milk - never seen that IRL. I hear there's a coop that happens at the old Pearl Brewery occasionally but don't know details.. DH heard about it when he went into a bakery called Sol y Luna I think. You could call them and ask!

Good gardeners?
:shrug:

Sorry I can't be more useful! LOL
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

That's OK! I'll check in to the gym place, so that's really helpful. It's for my son, who is 4.5. I don't see him being competitive, because dh wants him to play baseball or football, but he also wants him in gymnastics for core strength. My dd is not the gymnastics type, she's too fearful, but she is good at ballet and enjoys it.

What neighborhoods would you recommend? Ds's Developmentalist is going to send us a list of schools that have the best special needs programs, but more info is always better! We really want a short commute. Dh will be working 100+ hours a week again, and every minute on the road is a minute he could be with us or sleeping! From the maps, it looks like there are loads of rural properties that aren't far. We're sick of subdivisions, so that would be ideal. After living in places like Wash DC and California for 10 years, Texas housing looks great! I can't believe how cheap everything is there!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Momma2Nick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post

*If you are willing to go another 10 minutes or so out, you will get into some better areas, in all directions. Wilford Hall is on the SW side of town and isn't in a great area because that is an older part of town*

Best ballet class?

*Not sure*

Best gymnastics class?

*Not sure*

Good preschools?

*I've heard of some but they are on the opposite side of town*

*My mother, she is with Bradfield Properties. She has sold all over town and up in the Hill Country. Her name is Kim Compton and her number is 210-378-2198*

*If you are into organics, which it sounds like you are, we have Sun Harvest and Whole Foods. Again, I used to live on the North and North East side (and now I'm 3 hours away, but family is there still) so I'm not sure where they are on that side of town but those are the ones that are in town.*

* I'm 3 hours away and Whole Foods delivers to us here because there is a group of Moms that do it. Soooo, I would say to talk to the grocery stores and see what you can find out that way.*

Good gardeners?

*Again, check with those in your community wherever you live.*

*I'd say check with my Mom if you want to call her. We lived on that side of town when we first moved from Houston when I was little and we stayed for 6 mo or a year and quickly moved out and that was 20+ years ago. I know they are trying to revitalize and there is a relatively new Toyota plant on the South Side so there is newer construction but you'd really have to talk to a realtor about that. Castroville is a town about 20 mins away on Hwy 90-towards where I live- and it is a cute little town and you can hop right on the HWy to head back to WH. LMK if you need anymore help!*

~Amanda
Amanda, Wife to Ray, Momma to my Nicky Bean born 12/21/07 He was the coolest Christmas Present EVER! Welcomed my Easter gift, Victoria on 4/20/11 Our Summer Sweetheart, Mason came on 7/23/13. We are sooo blessed!
Momma2Nick is offline   Reply With Quote