Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you think its crazy to want Irish twins?

(Irish twins are children born LESS THAN 12 months apart)

I have 2 brothers that are 10.5 months apart and another set of brothers that are 11.5 months apart. My mom was VERY stressed and tells everyone NO WAY NEVER DO IT. However, I watch my brothers now as college age and such that are THE BEST OF FRIENDS.. i really want to have my kids this close together but I can't get them closer than 18 months because of nursing (my mom never full time nursed)

Its hard for me because I am 6 yrs older than the closest and can't stand the distance....

Anyone else have a desire for Irish twins?

Advertisement

Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you think its crazy to want Irish twins?

Yes... I did. But mine will be pretty much exactly 2 years apart and now i'm glad i had the chance to spend so much time with my DD as she's grown up. The best time is between 1-2 years, it's just so much fun! I now wouldn't have liked to have had another one at the same time because i feel like both she and I would have missed out on so much great bonding. I was never on birth control either from when she was born, but it seriously didn't happen until she was 15 months, and I think that's just nature's way- it's better for your body, better for the baby. Better for the older child too! My milk supply drastically dropped, although DD is still nursing now, but I would have hated that to happen with a 4 or 5 month old baby, and am so glad that i didn't fall pregnant earlier now! Also because she kind of understands what is happening with the new baby coming, it's more exciting and it's really fun to talk about it with her. I hope I can get a slightly closer age gap too next time, but i am hoping more for around 18 months... would be nice if they could be close really for selfish reasons but i think overall it's nature's plan!

My DH and his brother are 11 months apart and they DO NOT get along at all... just totally different personalities and his brother was very competitive growing up. Whereas my sisters and I are 18 months, 3 yrs and 3 yrs apart... and we all get along really well, despite their being 8 years total between all of us. I think it totally depends on the personality and also on how much emphasis your family puts on staying together and on being friends.

Last edited by jeebee; 12-21-2009 at 07:49 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

I thought I wanted them - until my friend had her children 10 months apart! Watching her, I knew I never could have handled it! Now, I have a 2 month old and an almost 3 year old and it is ROUGH!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I think of this all the time right now. We are always open to what ever God's sends our way, but secretly (well, DH knows- ) I'm hoping I get pregnant within the next few months. We are not preventing, but of coarse I'm nursing, so The closest of mine are 26m.
I think you are use to whatever you have. So, I have 5 children atm and ppl always say,
"Wow, how do you do it?" Personally, I don't think it's hard. I love it and it just seems like it's the way things should be for our family.It woiuld be weird toonly have 1 or 2 for me. I think everyone has there rough days whether you have 1 or 10 kids and whether they are Irish twins or 10yrs apart in age.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I had Irish twins. There are advantages and disadvantages. I would never want to endure births that close together nor the first year of them together again without a massive support team in place. It was chaotic, stressful and exhausting. I had PPD after Riley's birth because I struggled to handle two babies after only being a mama for a year. I honestly don't remember a lot from Riley's first year of life and I regret that more than anything. I missed out on a lot of firsts and learning their little personalities because I was so focused on surviving two babies.

With that said, they are very close most of the time but they tend to butt heads. They are so close, they DO share a lot, more than they would prefer a lot of the time. It's tough for them to maintain their sense of self and individuality because they function as and are viewed as a pair. They also play well together, and rely on one another as twins would. They're very close, which is wonderful but I see them exclude Daniel a lot because of it. What I'm getting at is that it's a catch 22. There's a lot of positive and a lot of negative as well. It's something that you would have to really be prepared for.

My second son was born two days before his older brother's first birthday, btw.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
BreaMarie
Registered Users

One good thing I've observed from kids I've taken care of is that when they're closer in age, they're more equally matched opponents. Kids are gonna fight, so it's nice when they're close to the same size so one doesn't have a huge advantage over the other .
BreaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH and I have wanted Irish Twins since DD was born. But, despite TTC from the time DD was 13 days old, it took 21 months to get pg with DS. We have been TTC since DS was 14 days old, and thus far, no pg. But, I did ovulate a few days ago, way earlier than CD 55 last month. Now it's a waiting game, LOL. I think I can link alot of my not getting pg sooner to bf'ing, and for the last almost 9 months, tandem bf'ing. Goodness knows it's NOT due to a lack of BD'ing.
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only reason I would say no is because of BFing. I would want to make sure that baby #1 gets all the mama milk they could get. When you would get pg with #2, it would be difficult to maintain the milk supply needed for #1.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:54 AM   #9
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes, i think it's nuts...lol. But my dd was a nighmare baby (throug about 16months) and i couldn' thave handled pregnancy and another baby right away. That being said, i know people who have kids who just sleep and eat and in that case, why not? But you don't know what type the second will be or what types of problems he/she could have...and it would break my heart to have missed out on one on one time with my dd. Best wishes...it is a hard decision and really out of our control anyway. My younger sister is 9 years younger and older is 4...so i too have noone close.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 AM   #10
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05 View Post
The only reason I would say no is because of BFing. I would want to make sure that baby #1 gets all the mama milk they could get. When you would get pg with #2, it would be difficult to maintain the milk supply needed for #1.
im with you on this. i want my children to get 18 months of uninterupted by pregnancy nursing time. we EBF for the first year here-no solids-and we refuse to use formula-so getting pregnant before my child was a year old would make me really sad.. of course we would welcome any child with open arms, but it would make me sad that one child recieve such a short nursing relationship, or they didnt get a 100% milk supply. ive had it go both ways. one weaned when i was pregnant and the other nursed through and tandemed. (both were over a year old though.)
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote