Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do you think its crazy to want Irish twins?

My girls are 12months and 12days apart and I am that by the time they are older they are friends(as of right now at 2 and 1 that is not the case ). My 2nd was not exactly planned, however I wouldn't wish the first 3months on my worst enemy, the sleepless night and the enormous amount of loneliness that I felt since I was stuck inside for almost all of it. My DD1 was just a baby when I found out I was PG and I felt an enormous amount of guilt that I was denying her the babyhood she deserved. I was also put on bed rest at 20weeks due to my cervix still being weak from DD1's birth.

Not that I would ever give DD2 up for the world I just wish I had had some time in between so that my body could heal and DD1 could have had more babyhood without her Mama on bed rest for most of it. My girls are my world but I am waiting awhile so that my girls are a little older next time.

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

No, I have no desire for Irish twins. I would be completely shocked and overwhelmed at the thought of 2 babies born the same year. I would feel that I was taking from the older baby to give to the younger...I am sure all would work out just fine but I would feel that my older didn't get their full babyhood time because I was pregnant and preparing for the second.

HOWEVER, I'm sure there are other women that could handle the stress better than I could and would be able to give to both children so that neither was lacking in attention or care.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Sernade
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have twins, so Irish twins would be ez compared to two BFing on me at the same time. \ I kinda roll my eyes when folks like to tell me that they had Irish twins so they understand what it is to have twins. That's not what this thread is about though!

My twins are 2 years old now and they do play with each other alot, giving me more free time than ever to post on here. A year ago I was doing good to simply check my emails. Will this hold true as they get older? I don't know, I am guessing not since they are totally different in personality and my DD already gets annoyed with my DS. My brother and I are Irish twins and we were not close growing up. As young kids, under school age, we played well I am told, but from the time I can remember he and I always butted heads. We were totally different people with nothing in common. I played much more with my cousin who was 2 years young than I did with my brother. I love my brother but to this day we are not close (I'm 38 and he's 39). My sister, who is 8 years older than I am is my best friend and has been since I was a teenager. She and I would be friends regardless of our family ties.

There are reason's IMO to have them close in age. If you want to get everyone out of diapers within a few years of each other, go for it. If you are planning a very large family, go for it. But don't do it so they can be BFFs.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I have 5 kids and my oldest is turning 5 in 2 months. They have different spacing, some just 20 days why of being Irish twins, and to be honest..the ones closer together were easier for me then the ones farther apart. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We had Irish twins. They are 11 and 12 now, both girls. They have never ever gotten along. They argue all day long and now that they are older, they can be quite mean to each other. I do catch them in their room being nice to each other on occasion, but I think it was hard on them being so close in age.

BUT..........

As far as having 2 babies at once, it was pretty easy. Even though I was 17 and had NO idea what I was doing! I prefer the 14-16 month age gap though, just because it makes for better friends...

Now I am 30 and have 6 children. 5 of which are girls. If we do have another baby I would like 18 months apart.

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, love hearing all the reasons and ideas! I just hope that my brothers and i get closer, I am married with kids and 26, the rest are in college and or high school to elementary school. So the age and stages of life are far and I wish we were in the process of it together. Iam sure in the next 10 yrs it will all change though!

Oh and twins and Irish twins are WAYYYYY differ in my opinion. I think it would be difficult to have twins, but also difficult to be preggo so quickly after having a baby and to chase a crawling infant while the newborn needs nursed. BOth would be an experience that I would love to have!! We are wanting a large family which is why we like them close together. Either way we want to stop having children by the time we are 30 so that is another reason why we are trying to have them close!
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i thought it would be fun...im sure it might be...

but when i got pregnant again when ocean was 7 months old, i was so upset. i cried and cried thinking about how he'd miss out on being the baby too soon...

of course i had a chemical pregnancy, and then another miscarriage before becoming pregnant and staying so on his first birthday...so now i have two 21 months apart...and its definitely giving me a run for my money...so much so that i've decided that i dont want to get pregnant again until pearl is at least a year and a half old...

but then again, its all a personal thing. i personally dont have the energy or patience to handle the two babies and a teenager w/o feeling completely spent...so i am still questioning my heart's desire to have another one...lol. i just want one...even if i am crazy trying to keep up w/ the ones i have already.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Well....we're not really "wanting" them, but we may end up pregnant with 5 kids within the next 3 years.

We did IVF in the Czech Republic and are now pregnant with twins. We still have 3 frozen in the Czech Republic and want to transfer all of them by the time the military moves us back to the states (3 years). It would be too cost-prohibitive to travel all the way to the Czech Republic for the FET's.

So are we crazy for pursuing Irish quintuplets?

ETA: Our next FET would be with two (hopefully) thawed embryos. And then right before we leave Europe, we'll transfer the remaining thawed (hopefully) embryo.

Last edited by Wanderlust; 12-22-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybeth View Post
Well....we're not really "wanting" them, but we may end up pregnant with 5 kids within the next 3 years.

We did IVF in the Czech Republic and are now pregnant with twins. We still have 3 frozen in the Czech Republic and want to transfer all of them by the time the military moves us back to the states (3 years). It would be too cost-prohibitive to travel all the way to the Czech Republic for the FET's.

So are we crazy for pursuing Irish quintuplets?
Wow!! Many blessings to you!!! I have a friend that had 3 in 2 yrs, she kept going to her 6 wk check ups preggo...But her kids are AMAZINGLY close and its so fun to see them together! So i am sure the first few yrs willbe streessful but awesome if you had 5!!
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
SophT
Registered Users
seller

As an Irish twin myself with a brother 11 months younger than me, I was actually closer to my sisters who are 18 months older and 2.5 years younger than I was to my "Irish twin" brother. I think it had more to do with gender and personality than with age. From my experience anything within two and half years can provide the same friendship sets if the personalities are right. My brothers that were four years plus younger were more cute little brothers to me than friends, though.
SophT is offline   Reply With Quote