Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #21
Sernade
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do you think its crazy to want Irish twins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybeth View Post
We did IVF in the Czech Republic and are now pregnant with twins. We still have 3 frozen in the Czech Republic and want to transfer all of them by the time the military moves us back to the states (3 years). It would be too cost-prohibitive to travel all the way to the Czech Republic for the FET's.
You can either have the embryos shipped or carry them yourself in a dry shipper that the clinic should be able to let you use (and you return to them after you get to the states). The shippers keep everything frozen and safe for 7 days and can go thru customs with no issue. We have researched this fully due to having 2 embryos frozen as well. We plan to have our second set of twins in about a year. I personally want to get these two potty trained before starting all over. We are military as well and did ours in CO and now live in TX.

Advertisement

Last edited by Sernade; 12-22-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Sernade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #22
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted kids really closely spaced together and would have tried for irish twins after my dd if I could of. I really wanted at least 2 under 2. I decided it was important to breastfeed at least a year without cutting back. I wasn't able to get pregnant until my dd was 16 months and looking back I am glad it worked out like that. My kids have a great relationship and play so good together and my dd got almost 2 years of breastmilk. I think she needed that time to be a baby because she was still such a baby at 1. She did so well with my ds being born at 2 and she was able to communicate with me at the time and really understood what was happening.

This time I am hoping for a similar spacing. Sure it would be cool to have kids close together but I think the breastfeeding relationship is very important to my kids especially my ds who was a high needs baby. He is still not sleeping good at a year so it would of been really difficult to have a baby right now. Kids don't need to be super close in age to get along well. With the kids I nannied for the relationship between the kids spaced 2 years apart are better than the ones spaced 1 year apart especially with opposite gender kids.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 12-22-2009 at 06:31 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #23
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IDK.. is it crazy that I want actual twins!?!? LOL but I would totally love Irish Twins too!
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #24
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lol! my kids are are 16 months apart and that felt really close... people kept asking if it was surprise but it wasn't we were trying that early on but expected it to take longer! There will be a bigger gap b/w ds and the next baby though because he's already 14 months and I'm not pregnant...
I do like the idea of the kids being close in age though as they grow up and I think I'd rather have them close together and get through the "baby stage" rather then starting over the baby stage again after a long break. My brother is almost 4 years younger than me and we are only becoming close now as adults.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #25
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Of course it's not crazy...if it were...than I would be crazy...luckily I don't think I am (others may differ.) I have always wanted my kids EXTREMELY close and I always wanted twins also. LOL. DS#1 and DS#2 are 11mo. 3wks. apart, and DS#2 and DS#3 are exactly 15mo. apart. We are trying for #4, so hopefully DS#3 and LO#4 will be around 13-14mo. apart if it happens soon which I think it will! We got preg. with DS#2 when DS#1 was 12wks. old!!!!! All preg. were not prevented but we weren't like really working on trying to get preg. just whatever happened happened. This last LO is the only one we have ever actually tried to get preg. with. I personally wouldn't have it any other way; and love the spacing I chose for my kids. I am 3/4 of the way through having kids and I am still only 21.

As far as friends go, age doesn't matter at all, it all depends on their personalities.

There are def. advantages such as: you never have to pack up any stuff, because the follwing baby will always use it right away, you never get the mode of raising an older kid and then get overwhelmed again when a new baby comes in the picture (you just stay in baby/toddler/overwhelmed mode all the time.lol ) If you have a set number of kids you want, you get those knocked out of the way and have the rest of your life to raise them. You also have the rest of your life to sleep through the night sooner and it's not interrupted like 4yrs. later by another infant. Older child might help next child walk, crawl, talk, PL, ect., earlier. Sharing, kindness, respect is like engrained it their beings from a very very young age since they are forced to show that with younger sibling. You have severel "babies" to love at one time rather one baby, one toddler, one teenager...ect. LOL. You have the rest of your life after having the number of kids desired to work on your body and try and improve what all those preg. right in a row did to it; and never have to worry about trying to loose weight and get toned just to get preg. 2yrs. later and all that go down the drain.

Also there are disadvantages: You have really got to be good at time management and not equalize your quality time spent with each kid. There is ALWAYS ALWAYS a child crying and hurt, or hungry, or needing to be changed. Atleast with twins there are growing at the same rate, Irish twins, you always have one kid a step behind in the previous stage. It's next to impossible to go anywhere, since you have to basically carry tons of "babies" by yourself. The oldest one (because he is still too young to understand) doesn't understand why you are getting onto him for something you are not getting onto his younger sibling for.Instead of one kid getting up during the night, you have several kids getting up about random things (potty, hungry, nighmare, falling out of bed....ect.) You stay pregnat or PP for multiple yrs. without any breaks. So you basically stay overweight and stretched marked with leaking boobs forever. You never have time to yourself, because although your older babies are on a set naptime schedule, your newest LO will just be an infant and you can't force that LO to nap when your others do. You learn to be as quiet as a mouse when all are sleeping so you don't risk waking them and ruining your once in a lifetime alone time...so you basically do nothing while they sleep. (unless you live in a bigger house.) Your only bath time consist of 3 little boys in the tub with you every single time!

I don't know...there are so many negatives I could list, but in the end it's all about your own personal decision. Although my disadvantages outdo my advantages, the magnitude and significance of the few advantages outdo the long list of disadavantages by a mile. Even though I have a 2 1/2 yr. old, 1 1/2yr. old and almost 5mo.old that just woke up from a nap early, I am still loving the decision I made. Next October I will probably have a 3, 2, 1 year olds and a newborn!!! Goodluck with your decision!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Am I the only one who finds the term "Irish twin" REALLY derogatory? I wish another term could be used.

As to doing it myself heck no!!!!!!!!! I know two women this backfired on and they had major health problems, neither of which can have kids again, one had an emergency hysterectomy on the delivery table, I want my body to heal and rest. BF is also super important to me and spending time enjoying my little one while they are small. Also, I know very few kids born that close in age that like each other, even with 18 months, my sister and I had serious issues, and still aren't close.

There are probably some pros but for my family, I pray it would never happen for us!!!!
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #27
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Ummm that is a bit close for me, I hate being pregnant, so I need some time to forget about it. I think 2 years is good though! I am six years older than my brother, and we aren't that close, we are from two different generations!
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #28
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernade View Post
You can either have the embryos shipped or carry them yourself in a dry shipper that the clinic should be able to let you use (and you return to them after you get to the states). The shippers keep everything frozen and safe for 7 days and can go thru customs with no issue. We have researched this fully due to having 2 embryos frozen as well. We plan to have our second set of twins in about a year. I personally want to get these two potty trained before starting all over. We are military as well and did ours in CO and now live in TX.
We thought about that. But the clinic in the Czech Republic still freezes with cryopreservation and I'm not sure if I can find a clinic stateside (that won't charge an arm and leg- I paid $250 for my clinic to store my embryos for 5 years) that still uses this technology. I believe most stateside clinics use vitrification?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #29
Saebbe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliasMum View Post
DH and I have wanted Irish Twins since DD was born. But, despite TTC from the time DD was 13 days old, it took 21 months to get pg with DS. We have been TTC since DS was 14 days old, and thus far, no pg. But, I did ovulate a few days ago, way earlier than CD 55 last month. Now it's a waiting game, LOL. I think I can link alot of my not getting pg sooner to bf'ing, and for the last almost 9 months, tandem bf'ing. Goodness knows it's NOT due to a lack of BD'ing.
I could have written this post myself. My son and daughter are 3 years 3 month apart.. and we're trying to have another ASAP! But we're BFing and I think the reason it took us so long to have Cayley was because Stryder nursed until he was 30 months. Praying though!
Emeline Claire
Saebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #30
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not crazy at all!! I wanted Irish twins but ended up with '2 under 2' and it was way stressful dealing with the 2's and a newborn. HOWEVER... now that they're 1 and almost 3 they play together all.the.time. They fight too, of course, but mostly because they're not so good at sharing but it's nice that they can eat the same stuff, sit in the same booster, use one another's carseats, wear the same size diapers, play with toys that are developmentally appropriate for both of them, and so on!

I've actually had the baby itch for about 3 months now and have had AT LEAST a dozen people ask me when we're having another, lol.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote