Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
ms_mcnann
formerly t***_m**_r*****
seller

Thirfty Vacuums?

Ok deal shopping mamas. My vacuum went to the crapper. I am wanting to buy a new one tomorrow and want to keep it under $100. We have three girls in the house who shed and four cats so one that does not clog easily would be great. Any recommendations?

Advertisement

ms_mcnann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
SchatziB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thirfty Vacuums?

We just bought a Hoover Windtunnel for $99 at Target two or three days ago. Might not be the BEST deal out there but could be picked up quick!

Well here we go again!
SchatziB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

I couldn't help but laugh that you typed yor 3 girls shed LOL I haven't bought a vacuum in awhile so I can't help.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an Oreck and I love it! Maybe you could buy a nicer quality vacuum used on ebay or Craigslist?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
jessandkaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i bought a bagged cheapy from Walmart. A bissell. It was $39. It works great. You can get the bags at Walmart (more expensive than online but still not bad) or online for $9.99 (from the manufacturer-free shipping and no tax) for 12 bags. I had a dirt devil bagless and I loved it at first but the filters were $20 and I was having to replace them at least every 6 months. It was crazy expensive for a $45 vacuum. If you do go with a bagless, definitely check the cost of filters before you buy. That was my mistake when I bought the bagless.

For us, even with the 2 cats, 1 dog, 2 kids and 2 adults, a bagged vacuum was the better route for now. Eventually I want to get a good vacuum (like a dyson or a kirby or something along those lines) but for $39 and another $10 in bags (which should last close to a year or longer because I will empty them out once and reuse them if I have better quality bags. I don't with the cheaper bags.). I am pretty happy. It cleans well and the attachments are easy to use.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did CRAZY amounts of research to select the best vacuum for my most recent purchase.

Consumer reports lists these as the best vacuums for under $100:
Hoover Tempo Widepath U5140-900, Hoover EmPower U5262-910, Eureka Altima 2961, Bissell PowerForce Turbo 6585

Bissell Healthy Home is $200 to $250 but apparently worth the price difference. Fantastic reviews all around.

(We ended up getting a great deal on a Dyson DC17. My husband does all the vacuuming now because he loves it so much, so it was the BEST thing we ever splurged on!)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
mommavi1181
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite View Post
I did CRAZY amounts of research to select the best vacuum for my most recent purchase.

Consumer reports lists these as the best vacuums for under $100:
Hoover Tempo Widepath U5140-900, Hoover EmPower U5262-910, Eureka Altima 2961, Bissell PowerForce Turbo 6585

Bissell Healthy Home is $200 to $250 but apparently worth the price difference. Fantastic reviews all around.

(We ended up getting a great deal on a Dyson DC17. My husband does all the vacuuming now because he loves it so much, so it was the BEST thing we ever splurged on!)
We are in the market for a new vacuum too. Thanks for your suggestions, I am going to check into these.

My parents have an Oreck that I borrowed one time and man did that thing clean my rugs...I have a rug that stuff sticks too and it got every little speck that other vacuums usually miss.
mommavi1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommavi1181 View Post
We are in the market for a new vacuum too. Thanks for your suggestions, I am going to check into these.

My parents have an Oreck that I borrowed one time and man did that thing clean my rugs...I have a rug that stuff sticks too and it got every little speck that other vacuums usually miss.
Happy to help! My husband and I are clean freaks. It's amazing what that Dyson picked up. I had bought a less expensive vacuum from Target and vacuumed the floors. I thought it did a good job, but it wasn't self propelled so I felt like I had been lifting weights all day! I returned it and we bought the Dyson. My husband vacuumed the first floor of our house (just two regular sized rooms) and had to empty the filter because it sucked up SO MUCH STUFF that the other brand-new $80 vacuum left behind. I've never used the Dyson because my husband HOGS it! He looooves vacuuming now and says it is "satisfying" and "cathartic." (He also won't let me do laundry because it's "cathartic" for him. No, he's not for sale!)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
alicia+2boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just bought a new vacuum today. We got this cheapie ($43) at Target. It's cheap, light weight and has a lot of suction. After 5 years I couldn't take my bagless any more. I hated all the dust, the expensive filters and cleaning out the canister. The bags are actually cheaper for a year than replacing filters. I know everyone raves about a dyson, but they are sooo expensive. I can buy a new cheap vacuum every year for the next 7 and still play $100 less than a dyson.

If we would have had more money I would have bought the hoover that the previous poster mentioned. However, you can't find it ANYWHERE in my major metropolitan area. I checked target, walmart, sears, kmart, and best buy. I'd hate to spend the money buying online to not like it.

http://www.target.com/s/178-3109529-...k=target104545
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
ms_mcnann
formerly t***_m**_r*****
seller

Thanks ladies.
ms_mcnann is offline   Reply With Quote