Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
WasabiMommi
Banned

My Mood:
HELP! Serger stitch too loose!

I got a serger for christmas (yay!). But, no matter how much adjusting I do to any of the three dials, the stitch is wayyy too loose. I have been playing with the tension dials for hours, literally. I mean, if I sew two pieces together then turn it to the underside and tug ever so slightly, I get (what I think is called) the ladder effect. There is no way this is what it is supposed to do, lol. It is super loose and looks bad. Help!! I just want to sew some fleece! What do I do??

Advertisement

WasabiMommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
northof60
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! Serger stitch too loose!

what does your manual say, should have a troubleshoot section.

can you post a pic? not sure what is a ladder effect. with fleece, try a longer stitch length and if your machine has differential feed, i usually have it on a bigger number depending on what works. also tightening the upper looper works for me. but with tension, you need to adjust it one at a time to see what works.

good luck.
northof60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
glutenfreegirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not sure what you mean the ladder effect either..do you mean the flatlock? Its best to get used to your serger in its normal setting before doing any other stitches like the flatlock, blanket stitch, etc.

BOY do I hear your pain...the best suggestion I ever got was to thread all four spools with different colored thread. This is a pain if you have to do different projects requiring different threads but it helps get things right from the get go.

Anyways, I digress... make each cone a different color and start from 0 on each setting, and practice practice. Just keep adjusting the tensions until you get the right setting! What serger do you have. Then once you FIND the perfect setting, WRITE IT DOWN!! (boy did I feel stupid when I forgot to do that the first time!)

The tension can become off fromt ime to time, and you may have to adjust it for different type fabrics.
Yes a pic would be great Im no serger pro but I've spent many a nites cursing over it! LOL
~~Amy
glutenfreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, pics would be very helpful, especially with all different color threads like the PP suggested. Are you trying to sew a seam on the fleece or just finish an edge?

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine was doing the same thing, I found I did not have the top stitches 'locked' into the tension holder. Hold the thread above and below the tension dial for the top two stitches - now push all the way back and make sure they are locked in. At least that is how you lock the thread into my tension dial.

Hope this helps, I too spent hours playing with the tension, and found that if it doesn't sew together than it is the top two threads. I was even contemplating returning my serger thinking there was something wrong until I did that - works perfect now.
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
justlindsay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know what you mean about the ladder effect. What kind of serger do you have for starters?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
justlindsay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you take pics of the serging (back and front) I could help as well!!! I have a babylock imagine wave now which has auto tensions and is the best machine EVAH! LOL

However, I have had 3 different inexpensive models and for around 5+ yrs Ive been dealing with serger "problems". Id be happy to help!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
lilymama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't forget to have the presser foot UP when you are threading.
lilymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
WasabiMommi
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Mine was doing the same thing, I found I did not have the top stitches 'locked' into the tension holder. Hold the thread above and below the tension dial for the top two stitches - now push all the way back and make sure they are locked in. At least that is how you lock the thread into my tension dial.

Hope this helps, I too spent hours playing with the tension, and found that if it doesn't sew together than it is the top two threads. I was even contemplating returning my serger thinking there was something wrong until I did that - works perfect now.

THIS was the problem!! Thank you so much!!!! My serger is working wonderfully now
WasabiMommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
SweetSewing
Registered Users

Check if your thread is locked into the tensions...mine wasnt and nothing was working. now its great!
SweetSewing is offline   Reply With Quote