Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ground beef and rice recipe. Anyone have a YUMMY one????

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacim View Post
Pickins are a little slim in the kitchen and I would love to fix something with ground beef and rice for dinner tonight (no crockpot recipes, not enough time). Something with veggies and/or cheese in it would be great.

Anyone have a recipe they love? Fairly simple and not too time intensive -- I'm not much in a cookin' mood today.

TIA!
I brown some ground beef (crumbled or patties) and season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, then put it in some cooked rice and put gravy in it. Cheapo Deapo dinner and my son LOVES it.

Advertisement

mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
jdsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I brown the ground beef with seasoning salt and garlic salt... mix in a can of cream of mushroom soup, some white wine if i have it, and serve over the rice! One of my faves and its cheap!
jdsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #13
driftymaer
Registered Users
seller

I just made that with the cream of mushroom soup the other night-only I love it with mashed potatoes. On the back of the Bisquick box there is a recipe for Cheeseburger pie-I just brown the beef with some onion and garlic in my big skillet and toss everything else on top and bake it in the oven right in the skillet. One pan and only a little mess.
driftymaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
Tobinnicole
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacim View Post
That sounds simple and yummy, but we didn't have any tortillas either. LOL! Like I said, slim pickin's around here. Guess I need to go shopping. We ended up making fried rice. Not my favorite (I like bacon fried rice better), but it was still good.
Tortilla Recipe:

3 Cups flour - not packed
1/2 cup crisco
1cup hot water
1/2 tsp salt

cut shortening and salt into flour until course, add hot tap water and mix well by hand or if you have a stand mixer, I use the paddle attachement on my kitchen aid if Im feeling lazy. Any way separate into 14 uniform balls about 1oz each and roll out on a floured surface to desired thinness, approx 9'', and then fry in a frying pan over medium to medium high heat. I have a newer range so I set it to 6. fry one onside for 30 sec to a min, until large bubbles form and flip and then half that time for the second side. Hope this helps! Oh and store in a ziplock bag at room temp NOT in the fridge.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
cgs189
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can brown the beef then add about 3/4 cup of rice with 1 1/2 cups of water and some taco seasoning. If your out of the seasoning you can make your own. Then let it cook covered for 15 minutes. Add some corn or black beans and some cheese.

Or make a beef flavored rice , like rice a roni.

1 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
1/4 cup of broken vermicelli pasta pieces (broken into pieces)
2 tbls dried parsley flakes
3 tablespoons instant beef boullion
1 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

Saute the rice and vermicelli in a bit of oil, or leave some grease from the beef. If you dont have vermicelli its fine, leave it out. Then add back the beef, the seasoning, and 2 1/4 cups of water. Bring to boil and then coover and simmer 15-20 min. Then you can add some corn or something to it.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobinnicole View Post
Tortilla Recipe:

3 Cups flour - not packed
1/2 cup crisco
1cup hot water
1/2 tsp salt

cut shortening and salt into flour until course, add hot tap water and mix well by hand or if you have a stand mixer, I use the paddle attachement on my kitchen aid if Im feeling lazy. Any way separate into 14 uniform balls about 1oz each and roll out on a floured surface to desired thinness, approx 9'', and then fry in a frying pan over medium to medium high heat. I have a newer range so I set it to 6. fry one onside for 30 sec to a min, until large bubbles form and flip and then half that time for the second side. Hope this helps! Oh and store in a ziplock bag at room temp NOT in the fridge.

Thanks for the tortilla recipe! We are currently working additives out of our diet, so this will be useful. I'll have to try that on a day when I feel like cooking. I usually enjoy it, but right now . . . I'm in a rut.
stacim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, all!!! These are some great sounding recipes. I will have to add these to my stash so I have them around in a pinch.
stacim is offline   Reply With Quote