Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Registered Users
suggestions needed for my 2 1/2 year old!!

how well does your 2-2 1/2 year old talk?

I'm just wondering because my oldest dd WHINES ALLLLLLL THE TIME!! She seems to be picking up words a little more but the majority of the time she whines and crys till she gets her way. I feel like I'm seriously starting to loose it. I don't even know what to do to deal this this behavior. How can I get her to start communicating more? Any ideas? I do work with her throughout the day with reading, puzzles, singing, etc... tia for imput mamas!

Last edited by lovemygirls; 01-23-2007 at 02:44 PM.
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: suggestions needed for my 2 1/2 year old!!

Oh my God, we are going through the SAME thing with our DD who is 2 years and 3 months!! Isn't it wearing? Don't you just want to bang your head against the wall sometimes? lol. Parenting our DD is starting to require a little more ingenuity than before, for sure. I don't have a lot of advice, since I'm also in the throngs of this, myself. But, I can tell you what we are trying when she is whining. So far anyway, I am happy to say that it helps and we've noticed a reduction in the whining.

I'm starting to realize that whining is just a really bad habit, sort of a holdover from her preverbal days, when she really couldn't find a better way to get her way immediately. So, it's a matter of reminding her that she can do something other than whine when she wants something. So, we tell her that we are not going to respond to whining. If she wants something, she has to use her words and say it with a little voice. We will remind her a time or two and then we really will ignore her.

Right in line with that, we are also reinforcing that we want to hear "please" when she wants something. My DH and I were starting to think that she was getting a little too demanding. So, I let her know that I don't respond to demands, either. If she wants something, she can use her words (I'll give her an example) and say please. Once she started seeing that she really wasn't going to get her way by demanding things, she has started to accept this and is now asking with a please even without prompting some of the time.

My latest issue with her that has just started to crop up, is very overblown emotional reactions to every little thing! I want to validate her feelings, but I just can't stand 30 minute crying jags because she saw a brown dog and wanted to pet it... Ah, the joys of parenting!
Staying home with my DD and DS and loving it!:
Driverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Registered Users

with my 20 month old, I tell her to use her words. I will point at things and say what they are. My daughter can say what she wants for the most part. She hasn't started the whining yet... When my son would whine (every once in a while still does) we would tell him we couldn't hear him when he whined and that he needed to use his words. It worked good. Course then my hubby would also say he was going to call the waaaaaaahhhhmmbulance. (he was 2.5 at the time) this would make him laugh and calm down, then we would repeat that we couldn't understand the whining.
*crossing my fingers that this continues to work* I can't stand whining! It's one of those things like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. lol

Good luck!!!
Mommy to RJ, Donna, and Mackenzie
tresal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
e and d
Registered Users

I just read The Baby Whisperer for Toddlers and liked it alot; she addresses whining in a couple different places. Basically, she says that she tells the child they need to talk in their "best voice," and to be sure that the child doesn't get what he or she wants when whining. If they are whining for an apple, for ex., they can't have it until they stop whining. There's more in the book but that's what it boils down to.

I hate whining!!
Thrilled to be mom to my two beautiful boys!
Leo Abraham, 11.26.05
Max Lawrence, 3.20.11
e and d is offline   Reply With Quote