Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can anybody help me with soaking grains and soured raw milk?

I am new to soaking grains. If the recipe uses water, just mix the flour with the water, add a small amount of acidic agent like whey, ACV, lemon juice or yogurt, leave overnight, then add the rest of ingredients and cook in the morning, right? But, what if my recipe uses milk for the liquid? Is it ok to do the flour and milk and acid and leave it out? If I am using raw milk does it still need the acid agent? If I am using naturally soured raw milk does it still need the acid agent? I guess I am confused also about the acid as some of them are just acidic (ACV and lemon juice) and some of them are cultured dairy (whey, yogurt). So a cultured acid is best because you get the acidifying to reduce phytates and also beneficial culturing enzymes? But, the ACV or lemon juice can be subbed to at least reduce the phytates? Is that right? And is buttermilk the same as naturally soured milk? Because in a lot of places it says you can use whey, ACV or buttermilk.. but the only way I know to get buttermilk is to go buy some from the store that has been pasturized and then re-cultured or to make butter from cream and save the buttermilk. But, I don't make butter and I don't want to go buy pasturized buttermilk. So if I have raw milk that has been around too long and is getting sour, will that do? For just the acid agent or for all the liquid? I haven't done anything with it so far, but I know it should be used for something and not just thrown out. Am I making any sense?? Trying to sort this all out. Thank you, thank you if anyone can straighten me out!

Advertisement

sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can anybody help me with soaking grains and soured raw milk?

I know your post has been here for a while, but I thought I'd point you in the direction of someone who could help you There's an awesome blog I read, and the woman who writes it is pretty skilled at all the soaking and raw milk stuff. http://passionatehomemaking.com

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote