Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
washing issues- funky rash- need help

I am in a wash predicament and a rash predicament...

I use purex free and clear- wash either medium or hot then rince cold and sometimes will either do a prewash or an extra rinse.

I strip all used dipes when I get them.

so about 3 weeks ago ds had horrible teething poo and thus got a bit of a diaper rash- bright red bottom no sores. After a week of this on and off he did develop two smallish sore spots- I treated with some neosporin.

about 2 weeks before this we switched from BG AIO during the day and fitteds at night to just fitteds, MEOS to be specific. Again this was before the teething poo and rash.

After the bad week of poo he had some residual sore spot on his bum. Also I noticed that his dipes were stinking as soon as they were peed in and horrible amonia in the morning.

I added vinegar to my wash and then some baking soda as well.- no change noted. But his rash suddly got worse- more small raw spots popping up...

So I stripped again and stopped using the free and clear and the vinegar and the baking soda- just using a bit of dawn.

No longer have a smell when dipe is peed in but do still have major amonia after naps/night- and I just DW stripped three days ago.

Also the rash went from bright red bottom- to 2 little sores- to now these weird sores breaking out. They are kinda rough- like poison oak when it is drying- but they are nor oozy or gooey- just rough. The two original spots though did get raw enough for neosporin which I noted earlier- they are no longer that raw but they are still there. He is not getting them anywhere else on his body.

I have put lotrim on it, monistat 7, some neosporin on the ones that did break open= those were the first two.

believe it or not desitin creamy seems to be the only thing that is keeping it from getting worse but not getting rid of it.

His boody is kind of a science expierment right now- lol one little spot gets treated with one thing one with another- just to see if there is any change.

I have NEVER had any rash on one of my kids that Lotrim didn't knock out- until now.

the two original spot are on his actual bum- the other spots have shown up on the abover his parts- just about bikini underwhere line and a few tiny spot on his parts.

Is it because of something not right in my wash- what do you all think. Any washing suggestions- bottom suggestions?? He doesn't seem to be in any pain but it bothers me. I have been trying to let him get some good open air time too to help out...
And I will probably get a different detergent the next time I go to walmart- inthe meantime the dawn is working alright...

So what do you think, what would you do??

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: washing issues- funky rash- need help

I'll be watching this bc my dd has one sore spot left that doesn't seem to be getting better no matter what I put on it. It doesn't bother her,but it bothers me. I have stripped everything and rinsed, rinsed, rinsed.. sorry I'm no help.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i have heard some kids break out in awful rashes from both dawn and baking soda.

as far as this "believe it or not desitin creamy seems to be the only thing that is keeping it from getting worse but not getting rid of it." that would be because it has petrolatum (also called petroleum, aka vaseline) creates a barrier that nothing can break through...actually including the zinc in the desitin. unfortunately b/c of this, the rash can't heal b/c whatever is causing the rash is being held against his skin since it can't break through either.

do you think it could possibly be staph? or just that you need a new wash routine?

personally, i would go back to the purex f&c. also try a new wash routine, if you are only occasionaly doing a pre-rinse or pre wash it's not getting all the poo out, as well as only washing in warm won't do any good either. also always do an extra rinse. my routine i'm sure is not perfect to others, but as a suggestion here is what works for me right now

clear cold wash or cold rinse (depends on how many number of poopies)
HOT wash with 1/3 rec amount of purex f & c
clear HOT wash or extra rinse (again depends on amount of poopies)

it hasn't failed us yet, we also do a preventative strip about once every 5 - 6 weeks, when we do this we do a cold wash before hand with 1 or 2 capfuls (about 1 - 2 tablespoons) of bleach.

as far as the rash goes, i would just give him as much air time as you can and stop any kind of treatment, see what happens. you may be over treating it and thus the body isn't kicking in itself to heal the problem. remember, sometimes air heals all

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw View Post
i have heard some kids break out in awful rashes from both dawn and baking soda.

as far as this "believe it or not desitin creamy seems to be the only thing that is keeping it from getting worse but not getting rid of it." that would be because it has petrolatum (also called petroleum, aka vaseline) creates a barrier that nothing can break through...actually including the zinc in the desitin. unfortunately b/c of this, the rash can't heal b/c whatever is causing the rash is being held against his skin since it can't break through either.

do you think it could possibly be staph? or just that you need a new wash routine?

personally, i would go back to the purex f&c. also try a new wash routine, if you are only occasionaly doing a pre-rinse or pre wash it's not getting all the poo out, as well as only washing in warm won't do any good either. also always do an extra rinse. my routine i'm sure is not perfect to others, but as a suggestion here is what works for me right now

clear cold wash or cold rinse (depends on how many number of poopies)
HOT wash with 1/3 rec amount of purex f & c
clear HOT wash or extra rinse (again depends on amount of poopies)

it hasn't failed us yet, we also do a preventative strip about once every 5 - 6 weeks, when we do this we do a cold wash before hand with 1 or 2 capfuls (about 1 - 2 tablespoons) of bleach.

as far as the rash goes, i would just give him as much air time as you can and stop any kind of treatment, see what happens. you may be over treating it and thus the body isn't kicking in itself to heal the problem. remember, sometimes air heals all
whats funny is that I just looked at this thread after several days of not and I am actually pretty close to your advice!

I knew that about the desitin but needed to get to the store to get a different anti fungal- so atleast that was keeping it at bay!

it has been 24 hours now since our errand day and he is doing much better- I got a big ole tube of generic lotrim and am giving him lots of air time and then when I put a dipe on I smear a whole bunch on- it is no longer spreading and is going away.

I did consider staph but relooked up the rash and it didn't look like nor was it following staphs usual characteristics- nor has anyone else gotten it. Soooo I was pretty sure that it was some bacteria fungal crud.

Also I definately agree with the baking soda!!! It really poped up after I had done that! Since then everything was stripped again. I have not noticed any difference in using dawn or in the Purex- so am back to just the purex.

On my wash routine I am doing a combo of something I read on another thread and what you just said

I do a cold prewash
then I fill on hot and add my detergent- letthe machine agitate for a minute and then stop the machine so it can soak in the hot water.
Next I leave it for abot 45 min- an hour or when I finally remember it lol.
after the soak I let it resume washing but before it drains and rinses I set it back to agitate a bit longer (without having to refill the machine again) so it "washes" for twice as long.
last I let it finish its cycle and that incluses a cold rinse.

My dipes have been comming out nice and clean! And with no residual smell eminating from the dipe when peed in

So we are happy now!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i am so glad mama!!!!! yes, i couldn't see the rash and just with all the staph seeming to pop up thought it was worth looking into lol. i'm very glad it wasn't and that some good ol air helped clear the bum up!!!!! i'm so happy for you as i know how frustrating dang ol rashes can be!!!!!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw View Post
i am so glad mama!!!!! yes, i couldn't see the rash and just with all the staph seeming to pop up thought it was worth looking into lol. i'm very glad it wasn't and that some good ol air helped clear the bum up!!!!! i'm so happy for you as i know how frustrating dang ol rashes can be!!!!!
Thanks ! I wasn't too very worried about staph I bleach all new items and it had been a while so if it was then we got it from somewhere else but its not- praise the lord!
I am also thankful that he doesn't seem too bothered by it- it just bother me because I couldn't "name that funk" kwim-lol.

Thanks for the washing advice too- I was glad when I read it a minute ago since it is pretty close to what I am doing! I love DS with all you helpful mamas