Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #21
laprettygurl
Registered Users

Re: Vaccine side-effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allye View Post

I am def. going to do more research into this . The only problem here is child protection does not look kindly into not getting your children vaccinated, they find it a form of child neglect...
By here you mean BC right? I had no problem in Ontario and hopefully not here in AB either.

http://www.vran.org/index.htm

http://www.vran.org/legal/legal.htm

BC doesn't need proof of vax for school so I assume daycare is the same.

Advertisement

Ebay feedback MDC feedback
Actually 53 lbs! lol
laprettygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #22
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Allye if you need help feel free to let me know, I'm in BC as well and I know the laws quite well & have an exemption incase I need it.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #23
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allye View Post

I am def. going to do more research into this . The only problem here is child protection does not look kindly into not getting your children vaccinated, they find it a form of child neglect...
Sounds like scare-mongering to me. If you have something against vaccinating, it is your constitutional right in Canada to refuse vaxes. They can't take your kids away because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laprettygurl View Post
By here you mean BC right? I had no problem in Ontario and hopefully not here in AB either.

AB doesn't even need a waiver of any sort regarding vaxes. Some health units are pita about calling to tell you you're late with vaxing, but my particular health unit is either lazy, swamped with work or else just doesn't care because I've never had a call to remind me that dd's shots or due or that ds hasn't had any. Dayhomes and daycare will ask about vax status, but you just tell them you don't vaccinate and that's the end of it.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #24
Dearonebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

When my DS got his MMR and oh darn.. the newest one.. pneumococal shots, he was aweful as far as temperment for 2 weeks or more.. when I questioned it, I saw that it was on the paper they gave us that had a list of reactions on.... Then I found out after reading farther down that they actually have a fund set up for children adversely effected by their vaccines. The year before last we had two friends get seriously ill after their flu shot and one died because of it... a natural dr. in Colorado had one of his daughters go brain dead... the way I look at it is, if the actual disease is not a killer on the norm, just an irritant then I do not think a child needs it.. so I would say they need the pneumococal, hep and polio, I am on the fence on MMR, but not the flu shot, or chickenpox (which I know several people who have had the shot then got a serious case of chickenpox, but one dr we saw said that it is actually a different strand or something.. I am sure someone here can inlighten futher about this). I hope you get more info as to what is good and bad about vaccines.....I am sure you can find legal ways around it, if you look if you decide against vaccines... maybe if gave her the ones that protect against truely life threatening disease then they wouldn't see it as neglect.... ????? I forgot to add something that may sway some opinion of whether to or not to.. I have heard that for a child to get a passport (which is going to be needed to cross Canada border now too) they have to be up to date on their shots... just something to think about when mixing it all in the brain...

Last edited by Dearonebaby; 01-24-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Dearonebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #25
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearonebaby View Post
I forgot to add something that may sway some opinion of whether to or not to.. I have heard that for a child to get a passport (which is going to be needed to cross Canada border now too) they have to be up to date on their shots... just something to think about when mixing it all in the brain...
Actually, unless the requirements for a passport have radically changed in the last year, that is NOT true. Both my kids have passports and there was not anything on the passport application regarding vaccinations.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #26
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearonebaby View Post
the way I look at it is, if the actual disease is not a killer on the norm, just an irritant then I do not think a child needs it.. so I would say they need the pneumococal, hep and polio, I am on the fence on MMR, but not the flu shot, or chickenpox

actually from my research so far you've got it kinda backwards...

POLIO - shouldnt be required at all come 2010 or so cuz they are hoping it will be eradicated worldwide at that point. In the last 30 years the only cases of polio in the US have been because of the oral vax itself, NO wild caught cases.

HEP B - its mostly contracted by sexual contact or IV drug use. The only reason its given to kids is because its easier to get to everyone as kids. the odds of a child catching it are low.

Pneumococal - not sure, havent gotten there yet in my research.

MMR - none of the diseases are usually severe in kids and the potential effects of the vax FAR outweight the risks in my opinion.

DTaP - Diptheria and Tetanus scare me, if ds gets any vax's it may be the Dt booster, but i havent researched the vax itself enough yet to make that determination, only the disease (tho the chance of getting either are rare, the fatality rates of those that do get it are high, one is like a 30% fatality rate and the other like 25%!). pertussis in my opinon isnt a huge deal.

Haemophilus Influenza B (HiB) - the majority of severe problems from this disease are not from the type B strain and thats the only one the vax "prevents"

Chicken Pox (Varicella) - stupid, its a relatively mild childhood disease that confers lifetime immunity for most, where as the vax doesnt and will leave you open to catching it later in life when more problems are more likely to happen.

Flu Shot - honestly its just a guessing game each year about what they think will be the most prevalent strain, so its a chance, and you may end up with it anyway, so why bother?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #27
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't let my child get another vaccination for a long time after a reaction like that. Scary! But I'm not vaxing right now anyways, and it will be a long time before DS gets any anyways..

Plus, no one can take your kids away because you won't vax. Unless other things were severely wrong in the home and that was the "last straw" but good parents who care for their kids and simply refuse to vaccinate because of the risks aren't charged with neglect.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #28
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

You can talk it over w/the doc and if you decide to have them done at a later time, it is considered at nurse visit, not a docs visit at most places so it would be easier or you can even get it done at the 9mth. When I took a baby in for his 4mth check up, the doc wouldn't give him his shots cuz he was sick, so we had to go back the following week for what they called a nurse visit.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 PM   #29
Dearonebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you Kezoo.... I was wondering about that one.. someone mentioned it me and I didn't think it made sense...lol...
Also, I would choose polio because my dad had it and I believe it can come back around and get us... Scarlet fever is suppose to be gone too but a year or so ago my cousin's son got it while attending daycare!! Pneumococal is for minigitus and the such so that is why I would choose that one.... as for the others I am up in the air.. honestly I once was against all vacs.. I don't like the side effects of MMR and that is for measles mumps and rubella, and well, though they can be harsh.. .so basically what you said ECORIA is about what I was thinking except the Hep.. I am sorry about that.. I was thinking A for some reason I think... thank you for the tip on that one though....and YES.. chickenpox is useless!!!...lol...
Dearonebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #30
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laprettygurl View Post

Yup I am in BC - Canada. And my daughters daycare said in order to have her enrolled they needed proof that she was up to date on her vaccines...

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote