Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
wfiles
Registered Users
seller

Flip vs. Grobaby vs. Cover and prefold

Ok...so I haven't been buying diapers in a while since we are pretty happy with our current stash but I keep seeing everyone posting RAVES about BG Flips.
What makes them so great!?
What makes them different than just a cover and prefold? Isn't it more $$?
How are they different from Grobaby which people seemed excited about a few months ago??

I am only looking into the options because after a recent trip to visit family which lasted over 8 days I am looking for a less laundry intenive traveling option. Two in cloth on the road was a little stinky and overwhelming.

Please help us decide if we want to try one of these other options. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flip vs. Grobaby vs. Cover and prefold

I love gro baby and those make most of my stash.
I like the fact that I can use the snap in soaker at home and the disposable option to go out. The soakers are super absorbent.
I got one flip but did not liked the fit and have read threads about not so good fit in the smaller stages but also mamas comment on how absorbent and trim they are.
You can buy a trial kit on both before you decide, I did, and liked the gro baby better.
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I love my flips because both of the cloth options are super absorbent. The organic insert is nightworthy for us. The fit is amazing too,it's very stretchy and trim.
I am able to alternate 2 covers all day and just switch out inserts,so my laundry loads are much smaller then when I was using pockets.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love the stretchy tabs. I love that it has the choice of a stay dry microfiber insert or an organic insert or a disposable. I use the stay dry so grow baby wouldn't work there. I also can't do velcro with my ds, since he's a little escape artist. lol

Now, I also use the Flip cover-which is pretty on par with most other covers and since it's one size, its actually cheaper than say, Bummis (which I don't happen to like), Thirsties, etc-with infant prefolds when I feel like it. I have the prefolds for my baby on the way but they still need a little prepping so I throw those in there once or twice a day. I figure I might as well actually get some use out of them while I prep them, haha. Anyway, this works really well too and if I didn't like the stay dry part, I wouldn't mind using prefolds in the covers most of the time. Having said that, the stay dry inserts are more trim and absorb a lot more than the infant prefolds. (Though, if I were using it on the largest setting I'd need a larger prefolds anyway and it'd absorb more as a result...but also probably make it even less trim)

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Mama2Too
Registered Users

For us Grobaby wins for sure. The Flip had the worst fit on both of our boys. The grobaby has a trim fit and I like that the soaker pads snap in. I also love the cute colors and prints.

We did just score one of the new testers from Gro Baby and I am thrilled with them.

Haven't tried Softbums because I don't think the way the size adjustment works would be good for two different size babies both using the same diaper.
Mama2Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like flips for a few reasons:
1. A lay-in system which is my and DS's favorite system
2. Inserts can be used in my g's or duo wraps
3. Covers in BG colors that I LOVE
4. Finally an all night CD that works for us after 10 months of trying to find a dry overnight solution!
5. The stay dry inserts are pretty darn trim
6. I can use other inserts/pf's in the covers (but rarely do
7. I can't stand icky velcro and love snaps, and these have a pretty good range of fit for snaps
8. I'm into adjustable rise PUL covers

So I guess ultimately I like the colors and the compatibility with what we already use, ease and fit of the cover, and the absorbency of the inserts.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

I have a few of both grobaby and flips, and I prefer the fit of the flip cover, and also find the organic insert softer and more absorbent than the grobaby (I have, but haven't tried, the stay dry insert yet). Honestly the flip covers fit DS (who is a ~13 lb 9 week old) better than any other cover we've tried, save our crat and covered caboose wool covers (which fit beautifully, but aren't nearly as trim). I've been using the flip covers with all our fitteds since I bought them (and we only have 2, so I need to buy a few more!) I wish these had been out when I started putting together my stash -- I'd have far more (and not a stash of unused Gdiapers sitting around!)
mrosehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
lamamaloca
Registered Users
seller

I have a few Flips and Grobabys. Yes, a Flip is basically just a cover and prefold (or insert) system. However, this has to be one of the most dependable covers I've found, and the organic insert is super absorbent. Basically, for my baby at least, it fits and works much better than the prefolds and covers that I have, and it is easily the most reliable diaper I have.

Now, Grobaby is more like an AI2 system, since the insert snaps in you can put the diaper on in one step. Flip isn't quite this convenient, the flaps help the insert stay in place but it definitely still works like a two part system. However, I find that you can't really reuse the Grobaby shells as the cover holds on to odors. The Flip just doesn't hold on to odors, I can use it over and over and over and it still doesn't smell of urine. That certainly isn't true for my Bummis Super Whisper Wraps.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

That is so true,we usually only have to use 2 covers a day. Because we're just changing inserts out the diaper laundry has been greatly reduced for us,which I love
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamamaloca View Post
The Flip just doesn't hold on to odors, I can use it over and over and over and it still doesn't smell of urine. That certainly isn't true for my Bummis Super Whisper Wraps.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
frebyrds1
Registered Users

I'm about to try the flip diaper as we are not happy with grobaby's. I'll be selling those off to someone who loves them since we hate them. They do not wick well and both of my little boys want them off instantly. I have never had an issue with diaper rash in cloth until I got the grobaby diapers. The fabric just doesn't cut it. They need to come up with a different insert all together. I too haven't used the stay dry insert but I"m too unhappy with them to bother. I'll stick with my BG's, fitteds and prefolds.
frebyrds1 is offline   Reply With Quote