View Poll Results: Is your child in daycare? Would you put your child in daycare?
Yes my child is in daycare now. 22 16.54%
No my child is not in daycare now. 35 26.32%
Yes I would put my child in daycare in this situation. 68 51.13%
No I would not put my child in daycare in this situation. 28 21.05%
Other (b/c there might be another!) 12 9.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Daycare Questions Updated at bottom

For those of you that have kids in daycare - it's simple - YES or NO - are they in daycare?

For those of you that don't -YES or NO - Would you ever put them in daycare if you didn't have any family or friends to help you?

Situation: Having a full hysterectomy & bladder repair surgery. DH is military & can only get very limited time off of work. Basically the time I'm in the hospital & maybe a week or so afterwords. I've looked very hard into hiring someone in the home to help me. I can't afford even the cheapest in-home helper I've been able to find. The cheapest is $15-20 hour. That's beaucoup $ a week. Per week that's what I was looking to spend the entire time max. I could probably pay daycare the entire time KWIM? (sigh).

Or maybe if you've had these types of surgeries you now something that I don't?! Maybe all of this can be avoided? The doc told me absolutely no lifting my 25 lb 1 yo for 6-8 weeks. My 3yo is already in preschool & the director already offered to keep him in both morning & afternoon sessions at no charge so I don't have to worry about finding him a place to be. & DH can work day schedule instead of his crazy gone 3 days home 1-2 days so he will be here nights to take care of the kiddies & help.

Having a hard time with this decision. FB appreciated.

TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by CMamma; 01-25-2007 at 04:06 PM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
kugrinic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daycare Questions (Please read before taking poll)

I would look into some home day care, that is what we do and to be honest my son LOVES it! It gives him a chance to play and interact with some other children. I think that if the Dr is strict with lifting etc...healing is needed then you need to find an option; and home day care is super IMO; but you'll have to look around, we went to one that was nice; but we would have clashed LOL..

GOOD LUCK And lots of hugs to you
Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

instead of hiring someone to come in and help you could you pay for one of your parents to come visit and help out?? is that an option??
If i were in your situation that is what I would have done.
I had surgery last month (it was just a hernia repair so it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as a hysterectomy) and DH took a week off and it was still very difficult not to lift my dd and so forth. it took me longer to recover because "stuff" just came up and DH had to go into the office a couple times unexpected (he is military too).
I told him in hind sight we would have been better off buying my mom a ticket and having her stay for 2 weeks.
So, if that is at all something that would work for you and you were comfortable with that would be what i consider.

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugrinic View Post
I would look into some home day care, that is what we do and to be honest my son LOVES it! It gives him a chance to play and interact with some other children. I think that if the Dr is strict with lifting etc...healing is needed then you need to find an option; and home day care is super IMO; but you'll have to look around, we went to one that was nice; but we would have clashed LOL..

GOOD LUCK And lots of hugs to you
Like an in-home provider not a center you mean?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
kugrinic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes Hey were in Ohio are you? I am in Mentor East of Cleveland.
There are some good websites to help, let me know if there is anything I can do OK?

Oh and yes in home providers
Old 01-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningdiva View Post
instead of hiring someone to come in and help you could you pay for one of your parents to come visit and help out?? is that an option??
If i were in your situation that is what I would have done.
I had surgery last month (it was just a hernia repair so it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as a hysterectomy) and DH took a week off and it was still very difficult not to lift my dd and so forth. it took me longer to recover because "stuff" just came up and DH had to go into the office a couple times unexpected (he is military too).
I told him in hind sight we would have been better off buying my mom a ticket and having her stay for 2 weeks.
So, if that is at all something that would work for you and you were comfortable with that would be what i consider.

My mom & dad both work full time. My mom has already tried but can't get time off. She just started working in the past year. She was always a SAHM w/me & my brother & since he is now 18 & leaving for military she started working as a teacher. She used all her vacation time over the last year whens DS was born & then for a surgery I already had a year ago so she can't leave again. I already tried putting the surgery off for either spring break or summer vacation but the doc said it must be done in the next 2-4 weeks so it wasn't an option. DH's mom works FT too & even if she didn't she wouldn't help, just how she is.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugrinic View Post
Yes Hey were in Ohio are you? I am in Mentor East of Cleveland.
There are some good websites to help, let me know if there is anything I can do OK?

Oh and yes in home providers
Oak Harbor. I'm like 45 mins from Cleveland (West).
Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

krystyna, yougot no other option it seems, your parents cant ake time off.
does dh have leave accumulated then?? or no??? i would ask the commander if they could get for anemergency situation--can he later pay it off?? not sure , iremember for basic training we could as many didnt have the 2wk for the christmas break and had to get it. (am i making sense)
if that is not poossible, yes seems that is the only way. but i would get someone on base (you on base,right) close toyour home too so its walking distance--can you drive her around???
goodluck!!! how sad youc ant wait til spring or summer vacation though? maybe talk to the doc and tell him the problem and maybe he could wait alittle
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyG View Post
krystyna, yougot no other option it seems, your parents cant ake time off.
does dh have leave accumulated then?? or no??? i would ask the commander if they could get for anemergency situation--can he later pay it off?? not sure , iremember for basic training we could as many didnt have the 2wk for the christmas break and had to get it. (am i making sense)
if that is not poossible, yes seems that is the only way. but i would get someone on base (you on base,right) close toyour home too so its walking distance--can you drive her around???
goodluck!!! how sad youc ant wait til spring or summer vacation though? maybe talk to the doc and tell him the problem and maybe he could wait alittle

There is no base here. He is Coast Guard. There are only like 30 people here so it's a station. Anyway is CO is only a WO. They are only giving him the week that I'm in the hospital & another 1-2 weeks off. He can't pay it off. You only get 30 days max per year, that's it.

As for the doc holding off, due to the medical necesitty, it can't be put off. I don't want to go into even more details of it than I have in the past b/c I don't want to throw myself more pitty parties on the forum but something was found & about 2 weeks ago my doctor said the longest I could wait to have the hyst done was 2-4 weeks... absolutely no longer. This isn't a matter of elective surgery as I previously thought due to the bleeding. There are other issues there. And I also need my bladder fixed as well. I wanted to put it off & talked to him about that but quickly found out that was a
Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a SAHM but would put my kids in daycare in your situation. Would the 1 yr old be ok being away from his sibling all day? Would it be better to send the 3 yr old to the sitters for 1/2 day for the younger ones' sake?

I think a SAHM who wants to make a few extra $ would be a good situation. Many of them would be ok w/ a short term job. I have advertised to baby sit on craigslist and found some good families to work for. I only take in 1 family so the kids can have a lot of personal attention. If the sitter had kids near your kids' ages they probably would have a blast!