View Poll Results: Is your child in daycare? Would you put your child in daycare?
Yes my child is in daycare now. 22 16.54%
No my child is not in daycare now. 35 26.32%
Yes I would put my child in daycare in this situation. 68 51.13%
No I would not put my child in daycare in this situation. 28 21.05%
Other (b/c there might be another!) 12 9.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Daycare Questions (Please read before taking poll)

You NEED to take the Dr. seriously about not lifting for at LEAST the first 4 weeks, popped stitches is NOT something you want to deal with. My dr. told me some horror stories before I had breast surgery to remove benign tumors, but I only had to not lift stuff for two weeks.

I would defenently consider home care (in someone elses home) or daycare. Have you considered asking a friend or friend of a friend that needs some extra cash to help you out? Helping someone out in their home can be a pretty cushie job, especially if you let them bring their kids.

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

i would def take getz into consideration: putting the 2 together. this is the first time the ydd been apart from you,right??? how long would it be for?? the 6wks??? try looking for something right now and take them an hour or so so they get used to it too. your ydd might not like the drastic change
goodluck HUN!! wish i was in OH i would do it in a heartbeat david needs playmates
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
Driverdog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
I can't afford even the cheapest in-home helper I've been able to find. The cheapest is $15-20 hour. TIA
Where the heck do you live that in home care for your kids is that expensive? I wish I had chosen to nanny there instead of the east coast years ago - I would have been rich!!!

Seriously, I may be way off base here, but did you check on local listings for babysitters that could come watch the kids in the home? A mother's helper could be someone like a young girl from your area and you could supervise - especially after you are over the first week of recovery (you'd just want to make it really, really clear that you cannot lift things). What about local community colleges or universities? There are always students that are highly qualified (training for early education, etc) that literally need experience with children to fullfill their degrees.

There are sooo many options if you are going to be home and supervising, that shouldn't cost you anywhere near what you are saying, above. I'd really try to put out feelers into the community, put up ads, talk to other moms, read the local paper's classifieds... it's not that I'm against daycare, but if you have your heart set on inhome care, you should be able to work SOMETHING out.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
movaly1
Registered Users
seller

I see no problem with daycare if you have checked it out and it "feels" right to you. Make sure you talk to references.

Someone mentioned having a helper come in when you are there - do you think your kids would go with them instead of you and not keep asking you to pick you up? Please it might be nice to have some quiet time for recovery. After all, it is only for 2 months max, right? Just throwing that idea out there for you.
movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I'm actually in the process of preparing for the same surgery and I'm not sure what I'll be doing with 5 kids, 2 in school, 1 in preschool PT and 2 at home FT. Dh can take off some work unpaid (he just started working for this guy in Nov, no vaca) and I have friends who can help here and there but my parents also work FT.
Do you attend/belong to a church? If you do, maybe someone is able to help with the kiddos? Once dh is back at work I'm going to have to rely on friends and strangers for help to be honest. I personally wouldn't put my kids in daycare for this surgery, I know a few daycare providers but have just dealt w/ too many bad apples to trust someone with my baby again who can't tell me what's happening all day. That's JMO though, if you can find a suitable home daycare or SAHM who is looking to make some $ than I'd definatly do that given your option.
My paperwork states a 2-6 day hopsital stay and no heavy lifting for 6-8wks after, gradually increasing activity. I assume its going to be similar to a c/s recovery. Sometimes you have to lift your LOs and there's nothing you can do. The full recovery period may be 6-8wks but you should be feeling MUCH better by week 3.
You're in my prayers! I hope you get some help during your recovery!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #16
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driverdog View Post
Where the heck do you live that in home care for your kids is that expensive? I wish I had chosen to nanny there instead of the east coast years ago - I would have been rich!!!

Seriously, I may be way off base here, but did you check on local listings for babysitters that could come watch the kids in the home? A mother's helper could be someone like a young girl from your area and you could supervise - especially after you are over the first week of recovery (you'd just want to make it really, really clear that you cannot lift things). What about local community colleges or universities? There are always students that are highly qualified (training for early education, etc) that literally need experience with children to fullfill their degrees.

There are sooo many options if you are going to be home and supervising, that shouldn't cost you anywhere near what you are saying, above. I'd really try to put out feelers into the community, put up ads, talk to other moms, read the local paper's classifieds... it's not that I'm against daycare, but if you have your heart set on inhome care, you should be able to work SOMETHING out.

Good luck!
This is some good info!! I'm in CA and paid a couple different nannies $250/wk to stay here w/ 4 kids almost FT. They were a friend and a friend of my old DCP and they both were able to stay at my home w/ their own DC and take care of mine as well.
ITA that you should be able to get someone for less than $15-20/hr if you're home and able to do SOME stuff.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #17
lindz660
Registered Users

Has your DH asked at work to see whether any co-workers SOs would be willing to come over and help with chores/watching the kids? I know that in my DH's unit if someone's DW has surgery or anything like that they try to send meals/help with childcare/chores so that the DH can just spend time with the kids while the DW recovers. With such a tight-knit group (I would assume with just 30 people) I'm sure you'd be able to find a few people to help.
But, if not, I would definetly not feel guilty about sending my DKs to daycare so that I can heal well... just check out the daycare/care provider before you send them
Old 01-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #18
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Well I'm actually in the process of preparing for the same surgery and I'm not sure what I'll be doing with 5 kids, 2 in school, 1 in preschool PT and 2 at home FT. Dh can take off some work unpaid (he just started working for this guy in Nov, no vaca) and I have friends who can help here and there but my parents also work FT.
Do you attend/belong to a church? If you do, maybe someone is able to help with the kiddos? Once dh is back at work I'm going to have to rely on friends and strangers for help to be honest. I personally wouldn't put my kids in daycare for this surgery, I know a few daycare providers but have just dealt w/ too many bad apples to trust someone with my baby again who can't tell me what's happening all day. That's JMO though, if you can find a suitable home daycare or SAHM who is looking to make some $ than I'd definatly do that given your option.
My paperwork states a 2-6 day hopsital stay and no heavy lifting for 6-8wks after, gradually increasing activity. I assume its going to be similar to a c/s recovery. Sometimes you have to lift your LOs and there's nothing you can do. The full recovery period may be 6-8wks but you should be feeling MUCH better by week 3.
You're in my prayers! I hope you get some help during your recovery!

No fun for you too! Are you having the other stuff done too? Bladder, etc? I guess the doc said it's similiar recovery to a c-section but intensified & he told me b/c of my bladder & a couple other things I'm having done it makes it that much more important that I "play by the rules." Ugh... meanie. LOL

Wow, you have your hands much more full than mine! Sorry you have to deal w/the same surgery. At least you'll be all better though! I'm finally realizing that myself. They told me I'd be recovering in the PP ward & I had a dream last night that the nurse asked me how my new baby was & I told them I didn't have one - I had a hyst. They said "Would you like one?" & they sent me home w/a new baby. Crazy dreams!

OBTW, yes I'm a member of a church. I've had offers for help for things like cooking meals, etc so that's wonderful - but not for childcare, etc. I have a lady from a childcare center in town & I have called around to some in home providers but haven't gotten any warm & fuzzies from them. Like the one that said "I have a job right now but I'll quit if I can make more $ from you." & the other that was telling that she had "a nice deck that your baby could play on outside that was right on the water. "uhm, this is OH & today it's 27 degrees outside.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #19
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

I voted YES, go for the daycare. My older boys spent 6 years in daycare before I became a SAHM. I would never want them to have to go back to daycare permanently. But for a temporary period of time, I bet your 1 year old will LOVE it!
ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #20
mom3girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well not sure how it works down there for healthcare but I know in Canada you can get homecare help , like a nurse or a PSW for help after surgery's if you have no one else there to help you.

see if you have any community living organizations and call them they mey be able to help

Otherwise yes if I had no one else I would use a daycare or a home daycare, you could even contact your local college to see if any nursing or ece students would be interested in helping out sometimes they need hours for there diploma or have co-op hours to fufill.

good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
mom3girls is offline   Reply With Quote