Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is your favorite cookbook?

I'd really like a great one with lots of variety, but also explains phrases and details that may be taken for granted in other cookbooks. I am not a great cook, nor am I really good at improvising either. But I really want to be. I want to make great, tasty homecooked meals that my kids will remember and have good thoughts thinking about the fun we had making it. I know that sounds corny but I want to be good at it for myself, my kids, and my dh. He is so understanding when I say we're having top ramen for dinner Anyways, thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
mayasmom23
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What is your favorite cookbook?

I recommend anything by Taste of Home or Gooseberry Patch. I didn't cook well when I was first married, until I was gifted with some of these.
mayasmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
themummafamily
Registered Users

My Mood:

You sound like me. Please pardon the long post. Just hope to help:

Joy of Cooking--cookbook that will tell you EVERYTHING including how to choose your produce for each recipe--this book is so good, I have never liked another cookbook, as it was my first. http://books.google.com/books?id=C4_...ts&f=falseLook at it here:

Cook's Illustrated--magazine (19.99?) or online subscription $35/year. They have a 14 day free trial & will send you a sample magazine.I would suggest doing that or going on ebay and buying a few magazines.

This stuff is like homeschool culinary class! I use this every day at least twice a day on average--I would literally rather fast 15 days a year than not have this resource!!!

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/default.asp?howWeTest=y

these two-three items will take you from beginner to chef mom. You probably would not need another resource for 10 years

I like watching Gordon Ramsay cooking clips on youtube and doing what he does--there are lots:

I have to shut up now--ya got me started--but pm me and I will help you with ANYTHING I can and i would be excited to share or help!!

ETA: cooks illustrated also does taste tests and equipment reviews to tell you which stuff really tastes good and works the best--you will truly be amazed. AND PLEASE PARDON THE LONG POST

Last edited by themummafamily; 01-05-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: cut out a bunch of drivel
themummafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman is a good reference I think.

Mostly I google, look at a few recipes and then improvise from there. Some fantastic recipes are posted here on this board too. Or I love the community style cookbooks with recipes from members of the community that created it. I also agree w PP that Joy of Cooking is a great one.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
deedeezee
Registered Users
seller

Like PP, I highly recommend How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. It is the first reference I check - from how to cook popcorn on the stove to making chicken for dinner to my once a year pumpkin seed roasting!
deedeezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would go to the library and look over a few too.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For published ones it's one of the Best of Betty Crocker's not sure the year.

But my most favorite that I have is one from a recipe swap group I was in about 10 years ago. I was in college and my sister signed me up trying to get me to cook more foods and not eat out. At the end they bound the book of all the recipes we tried out. It's got so many great family friendly recipes.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
mfnusz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i really really *heart* "the pioneer woman cooks". i read her blog and reference her cooking section all.the.time. she is real and funny and down to earth and she includes easy step-by-step instructions on all her recipes....and my family loves the results!
mfnusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
allybc
Registered Users

i loooooove my More with Less... it along with Joy with Cokking are my two favs
allybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary cookbook for things like breads/rolls/pizza/cookies. For everyday cooking I still like the old Betty Crocker Picture cookbook (my copy is a vintage 1950's edition) you can still find some of them at garage sales or used book stores. Many times I just look up stuff on allrecipes.com it is a great site to find new recipes to try.