Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sippy Cups

My son is now 11 months. Nuses and eats regular food. Never would take a bottle so I'm not sure how to do the sippy thing. How in the world to I teach him to take a sippy? This isn't my first child so you would think I would know how to do this, but this is the longest I've breastfed and the girls took bottles as well. Does he need to be drinking water from a sippy? Is he behind or something? My mother watched him for me yesterday so me and the hubs could go shopping. My step-father was like "he doesn't take a bottle?" "you should get him to take one" LOL no I am not gonna try a bottle this late in the game. I might as well go straight to a cup right? What kinds should I try? I hate a million parts to clean. All he does is blow on it, can't figure out how to suck on it to get anything. If I take the valve out, he will get some but it's way too much coming out.
Also how much does a baby normally nurse at 1 year? He still nurses a TON. He is wicked attached to the b00b. How long is this gonna last? lol

Advertisement

mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Linney
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sippy Cups

My DD never took a bottle. I introduced a sippy with water around 10-11 months. It took a little experimenting to find a sippy she liked. I ended up with those take and toss ones from NUBY, they have no valve so it was super easy for her. I didn't really have to teach her, I just kept offering it and holding it up to her mouth and eventually she just tried it and loved it. Getting her to drink milk out of one on the other hand took a bit more work, when I finally had to wean her for medical reasons at 16 months. But she never took a bottle. She wants a different sippy for milk, a NUBY one witha soft silicone spout, more like a breast maybe? I don't think your behind... but introducing some water ina sippy can't hurt... especially if you are going to have someone mind him on occasion.

hope that helped...

Last edited by Linney; 01-05-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
luvmyanklebiters
Registered Users

my DD uses a straw cup..she took to it no prob and never liked bottles either.
luvmyanklebiters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

I've never tried bottles but DD loves her sippy. We have a munchkin sippy with a soft spout and handles on the sides. In fact, she loves it too much.. so I don't give it to her often!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Goinatural
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little man drinks from a sigg and loves it! He is 7 1/2 months. HE takes a bottle at daycare tho about three days a week. A big eater too.
Goinatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
BeckysBabyMakes6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ODD never took a bottle, but I introduced a cup at like 5 months and she never had a problem with it.

This DD, though, had NO interest in drinking from anything but the tap (me)! LOL I tried and tried and tried every cup that I have had from previous kids and every new cup on the market! She wouldn't take ANYTHING! Finally, at 14 months a friend gave me her straw sippies and Lily DRANK from them for the first time ever! For the next 6 months she would ONLY drink from a straw sippy and finally, around 20 months, she figured out the whole tipping the cup thing and now she will drink out of ANY sippy cup! But we HAD to start with the straw. If you think about it, it's more similar to nursing since it's the same sucking motion. Also, the straws on the cups I linked have a wide end to them, more like the size of a nipple. ALSO, drinking from a straw is actually better for mouth development and speech than a sippy cup! So, try a straw sippy!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

we are in the same boat trying to introduce a sippy
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote