Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
ourjewel
Registered Users

composting question

I do an organic garden every year and have decided I am finally ready to start a compost pile in the spring. So my question is about how to store food scraps in my kitchen so I can take them out once a week or so instead of going outside every meal. How do you store your scraps and how long do you keep them before adding to the pile? I am not sure if I can just buy a plastic tote from the store and use that...or tupperware? Also, does it need to have air holes in it? I am just unsure of exactly how the process goes w. that. I plan on making the pile w/ 4ft. welded wire fence connected w/ twist ties. After a pile is finished I will just untwist the ties and move the pen to a new spot. It will be passive and small. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by ourjewel; 01-05-2010 at 09:51 AM.
ourjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Cindyh
Registered Users
seller

Re: composting question

They do make these terribly cute little countertop compost buckets. With that said, we usually just have a big pile built up in a random bowl on our counter. When it gets too big or ugly, we bring it out and dump it. The only problem with this comes in the summer when the fruit flies arrive. Having a lid is useful at that point.

I'm sure there will be lots more good advice coming on this one!
Cindyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just use a plastic icecream bucket. It has a lid so no problem with fruit flies.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a little bucket that has latches to hook onto the cupboard door. I use compostable bags in it to make it cleaner and easier to dump. I usually empty several times a week. Even with the lid and the bags those fruit flies are tricky buggers and nothing grosses me out more than fruit flies!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
ourjewel
Registered Users

ice cream bucket sounds great! thnks
ourjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

We use one similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

We take it out every other day or so, it has holes but comes with filters so there is never any smell, and it looks nice too You can also get them in ceramic.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
k8secondo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just take it out every day. It's usually in a random bowl or a colander. Although we don't have a huge yard, so it's not far to go.

k8secondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

I use a big kitty litter bucket with a lid and handle. I think it's a 40 pound bucket. We keep it under the sink, next to the trash can. It's perfect for us.

It's great b/c DH only needs to take it outside about once a week (more often in summer or if gnats appear). He usually does this on the weekends, and rinses the bucket out and leaves it outside to dry. When it gets too dirty we use a new one. I also use these big kitty litter buckets to hold paper for recycling and to store toys.

This way also allows me to reuse my kitty litter buckets. If you know anyone with cats, they would be happy to give you their empty buckets.

We are a family of 4 and other things I used in the past were just too small and required taking outside too often.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found an old glass cookie jar at Goodwill with an airtight seal. We take it out about two times/week. The jar is dark red glass so you can't see any icky stuff on the inside and it is quite large (maybe 2-3 gallons?) so it works for our family of 6.
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used to use a cottage cheese container with no lid, but the fruit flies became a big problem. We now use a ceramic jar with a lid and don't have any issues. My neighbor uses a composting ceramic jar, but it allows air to circulate, so fruit flies live in it. Taking it out once a week may not be often enough. It's going to get moldy and gross. We take ours out about every other day. But our bins are just outside out garage door, not a far hike to get to.
You said you are going to use 4ft fencing... is that 4ft high? Unless you are putting all your grass clippings and leaves in it, that's too big. We have two that are a foot high and 2x2 wide. We use one at a time (one "cooks" while we fill the other) and they never get close to being full.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote