Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
Kahlan
Registered Users

Re: I need help from those who's DC is allergic to cow's milk

my ds also cannot have cows milk. he has a sensitivity to the protein I believe and it causes exema (which also meant that while nursing him, I couldn't have any dairy).

We switched to goats milk - and it cleared right up. goats milk is the most similar to human milk, but most importantly the protein is different and easier for them to digest. definitely worth a try imo

*hugs* I know it is hard to figure all this stuff out, my son couldn't have soy milk, rice milk, almond milk or any home made nut milks as they all gave him digestive problems. Goats milk is the ONLY one that doesn't seem to cause him a problem

Advertisement

Kahlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

We switched to goats milk - and it cleared right up. goats milk is the most similar to human milk, but most importantly the protein is different and easier for them to digest. definitely worth a try imo

*hugs* I know it is hard to figure all this stuff out, my son couldn't have soy milk, rice milk, almond milk or any home made nut milks as they all gave him digestive problems. Goats milk is the ONLY one that doesn't seem to cause him a problem[/QUOTE]

ok - I wondered about this (goats milk), but I thought that they did have the same protien . Oh my - there's just so much info., and my poor little one can't have sooooo much now . She had a little soy and a little rice milk today, and I think they're both no good. She had 3 poopies today - which is not normal at all, and 2 were runny (TMI I know). They have organic goats milk at my grocery store - I'm gonna try it I guess.

I'm mostly just afraid that she's not going to get the vit D and calcium she needs from milk products -what can be given in a substitute of this? She already takes a multi, but it doesn't have extra of these in it...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:56 AM   #13
Kahlan
Registered Users

Hello there, it is still called ceisin - because it is that type of protein. but it is a more simplified protein than the cows ceisin.

like I said we have had huge issues with cows milk with ds. we had to cut out all dairy for a while. he seems to be outgrowing his sensitivity and can now have small amounts of yogurt and cheese.. but a glass of cows milk is still a recipe for disaster.

you can use the liquid vitamin D (D-vi-sol), you can even add it into a drink if you want, although ds took it on its own just fine. the goats milk does have calcium, it just isn't fortified with vit D.

soy and rice milk definitely gave ds poop issues, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what you are encountering now *hugs*
Kahlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Miranda was a Soy baby for the first 2 years of her life. At around 2 I started introducing Normal milk again and she's been fine with it. (thankfully, Soymilk is COSTLY)

Miranda could also handle very small amounts of Dairy prouducts without being a poopy gassy monster for what seemed like forever afterwards.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
weddell
Registered Users
seller

My dd is allergic to milk (and eggs and sesame). She has been diagnosed by an allergist. She breaks out in hives with any contact with dairy and her throat could swell shut if she eats any. I carry an epi pen in case she accidently eats any of her allergens. People with a dairy ALLERGY are allergic to milk protein so something like lactose free milk will NOT help. We have to get products that are casein free. Some people with milk allergies have a less severe reaction. DD also has eczema. Sometimes eczema is the result of a food allergy, but often there is no obvious cause. Removing all dairy from her diet and mine has not improved her skin.

I give dd soymilk, but she is still breastfeeding at 16 months old and gets most of her extra vitamins and fat from that. Rice milk is another good alternative. We mostly buy vegan products for her from the health food store. They are dairy and egg free. I also just bought a vegan cookbook for recipes ideas that she can eat. There is a vegan cupcake cookbook that is supposed to be really good, but I haven't tried it yet.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
taraleigh
Registered Users
seller

Oh Hugs!! We went through the same thing with dd. I lost a ton of weight when I was dairy free with her

I haven't read all the other responses, but while going dairy free isn't easy, it is definitely TOTALLY do-able. Check out www.godairyfree.org for lots of good info, including grocery lists. We were able to eat a WIDE variety of foods, and I made lots of substitutions.

We used rice milk for drinking, oat and almond for cooking, and occasionally another sweet nut for baking (like almond or hazelnut). Rice is very reasonably priced, so she'd drink that daily for the calcium. I continued nursing her, as well.

Here are a few examples:
Breakfast - oatmeal made w/almond milk, Whole Foods or some other vegan waffle, cereal w/rice milk

Lunch: tortillas w/just about anything - tortillas are dairy free, so they were my substitute for bread unless I baked it or bought vegan bread, clubs with turkey and bacon; sub mayo or ranch or some other dressing for cheese - very tasty!

DD loves pasta dishes, so I'd make pasta w/red sauce a lot; we also did a lot of baked meats (meatloaf, pork chops, chicken) with sides, such as rice or pasta w/butter; I added good fats to her diet in many ways, including olive or flaxseed oil, avacados, meats, and some soy protien. I use Earth's Balance margerine, which is vegan AND has no transfats.

Also, we ate macaroni and chreeze, which we got at Whole Foods. It isn't bad! I'd buy vegan cheese for dd. She liked it, but I couldn't stand it! I also made smoothies out of frozen fruit and goat's milk yogurt. It was a nice treat. Lots of snacks are diary free, such as graham crackers, animal crackers/cookies, etc.

She will outgrow it! She will!! It just takes time, and she'll be much healthier for it. She probably does have an intolerance to the milk protien, not necessarily an allergy. Similar, but not the same.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #17
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we went through it too, and we did goats milk first and then we did raw milk, and the raw milk is GREAT!! although it is illegal in our state to buy (don't get me started.... it is soo annoying and stupid and senseless) but we found a loophole and get it from a local organic dairy farmer. it is illegal in a few states... so you have to find out if you are one! the best way is to get it direct from a farmer. and yeah yummo it is really good!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #18
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

I have been really looking into raw milk. It is "illegal" here also but I know a place to get it from.

I am not sure what it is with Sage. I haven't researched it beyond what to give her to make up for it. She can not drink straight cow's milk or she has a bleeding diaper rash within and hour. However she has yogurt, keifer, and cheese daily without issues.

She is still nursing but I work full time. at the sitters she drinks 12 ounces of Rice Milk and 8 ounces of Keifer everyday. In addition she has a whole milk yogurt with wheat Germ or Ground Flax seed added for lunch everyday. She also get 1/2 of the dose of a great children's liquid vitamin/butritional supp. that I get from teh Chiropractor. It has everything you could think of including Vit D and Calcium.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

tara- My bro and sil are vegan, they have a great cookie cokbook that has muffins and cakes too (I am pretty sure that is what she said) It is called Vegan Cookies Take Over the World The things I have had that she made from there are super yummy
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #20
mimid
Registered Users
seller

I'm LI and my mom figured that out with gas and bloating and runs and upset tummy as a baby. She used juice in place of milk for most things. I would also recommend using rice or almond milk instead of the soy.

GL!
mimid is offline   Reply With Quote