Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trader Joes Faves/recipe ideas

Mmmm... the Belgian Chocolate pudding is very yummy- I agree! We do a lot of staples from there too. Produce is mixed for us- some has been great and some not so great. They also have some fancy chocolate dessert things in the frozen section that are on the small side, but perfect for a little treat after the baby goes to be. I have to get more next time I am there.

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love getting the six pack of orange or root beer sodas. They are made with cane sugar instead of HFCS. SO good! We also like the frozen pot stickers.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

dh makes awesome pizza with their whole wheat pizza dough, 1/3 jar pizza sauce, 1/3 package mozzarrella (shredded), some of the canned black olives, mushroom, jarred roasted red peppers and some fresh garlic.

we just tried the panang curry & rice and it was awesome, and the paneer tikka masala which really tasted like it was from a restaurant. their samosas are good in the toaster oven, and i love the tomato chutney. the korma simmer sauce (hven't seen it recently) is good with tofu & vegetables.

we buy nuts there b/c they taste freshest & are priced well. i use the soy protein powder (vanilla), frozen pineapple and low fat yogurt for smoothies, sometimes adding banana or blue agave nectar and flaxseed.

i love their sea salt pita chips, and their everything bagel chips, but i can eat a bag in one sitting so i can't buy them! also their microwave popcorn. and whole grain pretzels. the light kettle corn is awesome for a tv snack. tried the wasabi sesame oil drizzle sauce with the veg egg rolls (heated in toaster oven) and that was good.

i like the roasted red pepper & tomato soup SO MUCH & am not normally a tomato soup fan.

the whole wheat spaghetti is good & we use their olive oil. i like the arabiatta pasta sauce. their shredded parmesan is made with microbial rennet and really yummy. i like the bagged caesar salad.

the frozen asian vegetables with sauce is good--we add some frozen shelled edamame, some chili oil and serve with tofu, brown rice, and their unsalted blister peanuts.

whole wheat tortilla + lite mexican cheese blend + olive + green chilies (canned) + mushroom (fresh) + handful of bagged spinach = yummy quesadilla. i am ADDICTED to their salsa autentico, both red & green. mmmmmm.

i like the blood orange soda.

the sipping chocolate around holiday time is tdf. dd likes the spiced cider.

can you tell we are regulars????

i love this thread.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #14
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love love the pumpkin bread and beer bread mix. I make the pumpkin bread into mini muffins for the kids and I add groud flax seed.

The dried tortellini with a jar of pasta sauce is perfect for DS's lunch box for school.

I get butternut squash there in season too bake and puree and add to TJ's Mac and Cheese or pasta sauce or anywhere else I think I can sneak it in.

DS also love TJ's hummus. I try to make it at home but he strongly prefers theirs.

And of course, Mama needs the Bear's Lair Merlot. This is one of the best wines in the place for the price.

I have to drive 45 minutes but I go stock up when I can.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish the liquor stores weren't controlled by the state so we could get their wine!! I loved their simmer sauces and frozen veggies. We all loved their bagels and their veggie corn dogs. I love the apple spiced cider and their coffee of all varieties. I need to go there since they opened up the easy way to get there again.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
mamajudd
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Trader Joe's Swiss Chocolate bars (the hot pink ones by the check out) are the best! I love me some yummy chocolate, but now I'm spoiled on these and can't handle Hershey's anymore, lol!

We also love the dried fruit and nuts!

This is one of our favorite stores!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hearing about the Salt Pitas reminded me of more favorites. Their Fritos and Pirate's booty are both great! And I love the Peach Salsa, could eat it by the spoon!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery View Post
Hearing about the Salt Pitas reminded me of more favorites. Their Fritos and Pirate's booty are both great! And I love the Peach Salsa, could eat it by the spoon!
ooo be careful with their fritos!!!! Im sure it was a freak accident but I bit one that was like a rock and it shattered the tooth right out of my head!
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow....I may have to think twice on those...
Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
WiggleBean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love their dried fruits and nuts. I stuffed DH's stocking (over)full of things from that aisle at Christmas. I am a fan of their premade pizza doughs when in a hurry. They bake a little funny for me sometimes, so I have to be careful with it...or it ends up soggy -- even in a calzone. Their sauces are yummy, and I recently found *real* pickles there (NO HFCS, no preservatives...my doula was very excited too). I like their frozen veggie mixes, and try to keep the 3 pepper blend on hand as it's cheap and fresh peppers are so much $ most of the year.

The green curry sauce + chicken in the slow cooker for several hours served over rice= delicious!

All the wine and beer I've ever tried from there was wonderful as well -- though it's been forever since I've had any, so which ones were especial favs is lost to me right now.

Like pretty much everyone else, I don't buy much of their produce. Unless I'm going to use it that day, and it looks good *that day* it is always nasty.

I also really like their bulgogi beef. I cook it in the oven and serve it with a spicy sauce I make (soy, red pepper paste, some sugar, garlic, and I think that's it). Serve over any variety of asian noodles with broccoli.

I buy the giant chocolate bar too, but in dark chocolate. I think the current one I have is like 6 months old lol!
WiggleBean is offline   Reply With Quote