Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Mammas that set a family menu... tips?

I'm going to echo a lot of what was said above--I go through (mentally or literally) the fridge and freezer, figure out what we have and what I can do with it. Maybe we have frozen salmon that I bought on sale, okay, we'll do broiled salmon; we like broccoli and rice with that, so I'll need to buy broccoli (we always have rice on hand). Sometimes I'm craving something; sometimes hubby requests something; sometimes I flip through my recipe box until something catches my eye. I make a list of five dinners and stick in on the fridge, but I don't assign meals to specific nights, and sometimes we eat out, or have canned soup for dinner, or whatever.

When I have too many stray bits and bobs of veggies and beans and such, I make a big pot of soup. If we aren't eating it fast enough, I'll freeze that in gallon-size Ziplocs for later, too.

Advertisement

Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

Re: Mammas that set a family menu... tips?

What I do is make a list of every dinner I make. From that list, I look to see what's on sale that week. I only go to the store once every week or two.

I don't make a set meal to day commitment. If it's been a long day, I'm not going to whip up something involved, you know? I just write down the dinners on a whiteboard and erase them as we eat them. It's worked so far!
Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote