Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 06:20 AM   #11
ce&E
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 328
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

I don't know anything about the military's policy regarding travel but I just got my son a passport and the only thing we needed was a birth certificate and both parents signatures. There were no questions about vaxs at all.

Advertisement

__________________
~Cynthia~
Loving wife to Eric and SAHM to Egan (11/05) and Oliver (12/07)
ce&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #12
CMamma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,580
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Having worked in the headquarters buildings for "the big man" where the orders come in & out in Okinawa, Japan I can tell you a couple of things (ETA: When I said "the big man" I was referring to my Commanding General & my smaller big man the Col)

1. No, they can NOT force you to vax your children

2. Yes, not vaxing CAN possibly keep the military from sponsoring your family.

What does #2 mean?
That means that they may not pay to move your family overseas. The military does have certain rules/protocal that they require in order to move a family overseas & part of that is that all family members are able to pass a physical including dental & medical screening & be up to date on all vaccinations. If they are not in compliance, they don't get approved to move overseas. This means that they will not pay for you flight, housing, etc. They can send your DH alone, however (& yes for years).

Can you still move over there & has that happened? Yes at your own expense

If you do so will you be entitled to base priveledges & medical coverage?
No
you will not.

Will your DH lose his housing allowance for you back in the US if you choose to move overseas if he goes over on an unaccompanied tour? Yes he will, if anyone finds out if you are there (and chances are that word will spread that you are there & it will spread by the jealous DH's that are there w/their families left back in the US. Jealousy breeds tattles). Not only that but according to the housing regulations if you are absent from your address for more than 30 w/o special circumstances days you lose your housing allowance or base housing priveledges. And this type of thing can be monitored/tracked.

Can your DH get into trouble for you being over there if he is unaccompanied
? Yes & no - sort of a case by case scenario, but as a general rule it won't go unpunished. Especially b/c the military NEEDS to be accountable for its people. If something went "down" over there, the military takes care of the families too - they would not technically know you where there/be accountable for you. You would not be on their roster. They'd be ticked at him for bringing you there for that (being one of several) reasons.

Would you need a Visa (not talking about a CC)? Yes.

Can your children attend school? Not DOD school, but Japanese school & it costs. ETA - To be clear on this I wasn't saying that your children can't attend a DOD school w/o vax. I was saying that if you are not command sponsored that they can't attend a DOD school. Sorry if I have confused!

*****All this being said things may vary from military branch to branch & I just know what happened from stamping orders approved or denied. I know a PP had better news that me. So hopefully you will have better luck. We specifically had 2 cases denied through my Commanding General in the USMC b/c they refused to vax (one incident was specifically the wife & another was the children). It had to do with a specific Japanese vaccination - & the name is on the tip of my tongue at the moment. Anyway, perhaps their is a waiver process or something that I am unaware of or didn't see during the couple years that I worked in the office. By all means things may have changed since my tour there. It has been since 11/04 so a few years. Don't mean to sound pessamistic. I was just giving my knowledge.

GL!!!

ETA: It was Japanese encephalitis that someone refused. Just remembered! But for the record, the country itself requires no vaccines.
__________________
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand

Last edited by CMamma; 01-25-2007 at 07:23 AM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:40 AM   #13
desertblossom79's Avatar
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 375
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce&E View Post
I don't know anything about the military's policy regarding travel but I just got my son a passport and the only thing we needed was a birth certificate and both parents signatures. There were no questions about vaxs at all.
Yup, birth certificates and marriage certificates are all that are needed along with photos and the application (which doesn't ask about vaxes at all) and the application fee or if you're military applying for a no-fee passport, I can't remember the DD Form # right now but it's one extra piece of paper.
__________________


Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #14
CMamma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,580
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblossom79 View Post
Yup, birth certificates and marriage certificates are all that are needed along with photos and the application (which doesn't ask about vaxes at all) and the application fee or if you're military applying for a no-fee passport, I can't remember the DD Form # right now but it's one extra piece of paper.
You'll need a social when you apply for a passport as well. I actually just saw this on the news when I was watching a story about how soon you'll need a passport to enter the US from any country (even Mexico & Canada). I think they have the extra form that you're talking about at the PO.
__________________
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #15
tillers72's Avatar
tillers72
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,744
My Mood:
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambered View Post
I have a ? for you. If your dh gets orders overseas, what do you do? We're in HI right now, and dh may get orders to Okinawa. Have any of you dealt with this? I don't think ds can go without vaxes, right? Don't you have to have them for a passport? Would they end up sending dh unaccompanied instead? TIA ladies! -Amber
I was going to tell you that we did not have to have the vaccination record for ods to get his passport...that being said, he was fully vaxed when we moved to Germany. I understand that all of the countries have thier own rules and regs and if it's possible, as CottonMama says, to have him leave you unaccompanied and you are willing to do that for however long (generally at least 3 years) then it's not a big deal. If you want to spend the time with him that he's overseas I'd suggest finding out what vaxes Japan requires and perhaps suck it up for the military's sake and selectively vax with those particular ones. Some of the things are out of our control when it comes to military presence in other countries, so if it were me, and the choice of being with dh or not, I'd go ahead and vax the kids! Good luck and definately let us know how things work out for you
__________________
Chantily~wife to my soul mate and sahm to 3 lively boys! A-6 J-3 S-1, 1 min pin, Buster and 1 kitty, Bob

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #16
CMamma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,580
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillers72 View Post
I was going to tell you that we did not have to have the vaccination record for ods to get his passport...that being said, he was fully vaxed when we moved to Germany. I understand that all of the countries have thier own rules and regs and if it's possible, as CottonMama says, to have him leave you unaccompanied and you are willing to do that for however long (generally at least 3 years) then it's not a big deal. If you want to spend the time with him that he's overseas I'd suggest finding out what vaxes Japan requires and perhaps suck it up for the military's sake and selectively vax with those particular ones. Some of the things are out of our control when it comes to military presence in other countries, so if it were me, and the choice of being with dh or not, I'd go ahead and vax the kids! Good luck and definately let us know how things work out for you

Japan itself suggests but does not require any vaccines to enter the country.

I would talk more with Jenni if you are adament about no vax. If she's done it & she's in Oki, then I'm sure it can be done.

I gave you only the info that I know of & from the Gen that I worked under. Commands change, etc & it's been going on 3 years since I left. Jenni got there around the same time I was leaving so things may be totally diff now & I had also not worked in that office for a bit as I was going through all my classes to get out of the USMC for my injury.

I apoligize if my response sounded gruff or matter-o-fact. That's just my nature at times, esp when it comes to military related items. It's the Marine in me. I respond how & to what I know - try to give the facts & that's it. I gave you the facts that I know. That doesn't mean that's the bottom line.

And there are always waivers. Don't give up, hon. If non-vaxing is a serious issue for your, stand your ground & if being with your husband is a must stand your ground as well. Don't start making comrpomises until you find out that you have no other options, KWIM?

OBTW Oki is an AMAZING place so I would move there in a heartbeat. You'll just love it.
__________________
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand

Last edited by CMamma; 01-25-2007 at 07:34 AM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #17
desertblossom79's Avatar
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 375
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
You'll need a social when you apply for a passport as well. I actually just saw this on the news when I was watching a story about how soon you'll need a passport to enter the US from any country (even Mexico & Canada). I think they have the extra form that you're talking about at the PO.
Hmmm...I wonder how that will work for babies born overseas who apply for
US citizenship? Because to get a passport, you have to have the Birth Abroad certificate and to get a social you have to have a passport. I'm just glad we are DONE with all that with my little one that was born here. Getting her birth certificate, passport and ssn was a royal PITA. The no fee passport form I'm thinking of has to be had from the passport office in MPF because they fill it out and sign it and assemble your package to be sent to the special issuance agency in DC if you live in the states or the nearest embassy if you live overseas. You can't apply for a no-fee passport on your own.
__________________


Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #18
CMamma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,580
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblossom79 View Post
Hmmm...I wonder how that will work for babies born overseas who apply for
US citizenship? Because to get a passport, you have to have the Birth Abroad certificate and to get a social you have to have a passport. I'm just glad we are DONE with all that with my little one that was born here. Getting her birth certificate, passport and ssn was a royal PITA. The no fee passport form I'm thinking of has to be had from the passport office in MPF because they fill it out and sign it and assemble your package to be sent to the special issuance agency in DC if you live in the states or the nearest embassy if you live overseas. You can't apply for a no-fee passport on your own.
DS was born overseas. While we were in the hospital they actually took his photo for the passport. They came right upstairs to my room & did the photo while I held him in the bed. They sent his paperwork all together for the passport, social, etc to the embassy in mainland & we got it all back together at the same time. We didn't really have to deal w/any of it. Of course, we didn't get a no-fee passport b/c he was un-accompanied b/c me & DH were both overseas on unaccompanied orders & just happen to get married while were were there... it was a headache. How dumb is that? I got pregnant namybe 7 mos after we got married & the command refused to sponsor him b/c we were on unaccompanied orders & they refused to do a tour conversion even though we remained there for 3 more years (total of 4.5 years - longer than a standard accompanied tour). They said they didn't authorize us to have dependants so they wouldn't sponsor him. Gotta love the USMC sometimes!

(Sorry to hijack!)
__________________
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand

Last edited by CMamma; 01-25-2007 at 08:00 AM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #19
desertblossom79's Avatar
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 375
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
DS was born overseas. While we were in the hospital they actually took his photo for the passport. They came right upstairs to my room & did the photo while I held him in the bed. They sent his paperwork all together for the passport, social, etc to the embassy in mainland & we got it all back together at the same time. We didn't really have to deal w/any of it. Of course, we didn't get a no-fee passport b/c he was un-accompanied b/c me & DH were both overseas on unaccompanied orders & just happen to get married while were were there... it was a headache. How dumb is that? I got pregnant namybe 7 mos after we got married & the command refused to sponsor him b/c we were on unaccompanied orders & they refused to do a tour conversion even though we remained there for 3 more years (total of 4.5 years - longer than a standard accompanied tour). They said they didn't authorize us to have dependants so they wouldn't sponsor him. Gotta love the USMC sometimes!

(Sorry to hijack!)
Oh that's gotten alot more "fun" since you left too. They absolutely do not do passport photos in the hospital anymore. You have to make an appt with birth registration when you are discharged from the hospital, they give you an envelope FULL of paperwork to fill out and check lists to complete, you have to get this piece of paper from BR to give to MPF who in turn gives you another piece of paper to take to the multimedia center to have the baby's picture taken (they absolutely will not take the pics without this piece of paper from MPF) and after collecting about half a dozen more documents you make another appt with BR and do the oath and they send off for your CRBA and passport. When you get that, you have to make copies of the passport and mail that and the ssn application to Guam. Now add to that the fact that it takes 3 - 4 weeks to get an appt with BR in the first place and the lines you have to wait in to chase these paper trails and then you still have to get the kid command sponsored?!?! Can we say mind numbing headache?

ETA: Yeah, we've noticed that the USMC seems to have a more "if we wanted you to have dependents we would have issued them to you" type attitude than the other branches. That's just crazy about your son and the command sponsorship.

ETA: Now that I think about it, things must have changed alot because in order to apply for her command sponsorship, we had to submit her no-fee passport and CRBA as part of the sponsorship package. We couldn't even get her sponsored until we had her passport in hand. Like you said though, that's the military for you.



sorry about that.

Jeni
__________________


Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)

Last edited by desertblossom79; 01-25-2007 at 08:30 AM.
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #20
CMamma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,580
Re: Non Vaxing Military Wife/Mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblossom79 View Post
Oh that's gotten alot more "fun" since you left too. They absolutely do not do passport photos in the hospital anymore. You have to make an appt with birth registration when you are discharged from the hospital, they give you an envelope FULL of paperwork to fill out and check lists to complete, you have to get this piece of paper from BR to give to MPF who in turn gives you another piece of paper to take to the multimedia center to have the baby's picture taken (they absolutely will not take the pics without this piece of paper from MPF) and after collecting about half a dozen more documents you make another appt with BR and do the oath and they send off for your CRBA and passport. When you get that, you have to make copies of the passport and mail that and the ssn application to Guam. Now add to that the fact that it takes 3 - 4 weeks to get an appt with BR in the first place and the lines you have to wait in to chase these paper trails and then you still have to get the kid command sponsored?!?! Can we say mind numbing headache?

ETA: Yeah, we've noticed that the USMC seems to have a more "if we wanted you to have dependents we would have issued them to you" type attitude than the other branches. That's just crazy about your son and the command sponsorship.

ETA: Now that I think about it, things must have changed alot because in order to apply for her command sponsorship, we had to submit her no-fee passport and CRBA as part of the sponsorship package. We couldn't even get her sponsored until we had her passport in hand. Like you said though, that's the military for you.



sorry about that.

Jeni

__________________
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.