Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
nicolewilbanks
I could not ask for more
seller

Location: Wherever the Navy takes us, but always a Southern Belle at heart
My Mood:
Coffee maker died....AGAIN

I don't know if I should post this here or elsewhere, but I need info.

We are on our second Gevalia coffee maker in a year. We did the promo of buying coffee and getting the free coffee maker. The coffee was wonderful, but the pot keeps crapping out on us. Anyone else had this problem? They sent a replacement when the first one died, but now this one has died too. It's so frustrating. Gevalia keeps telling me they have never had this problem, but yet it's happened to me twice .

I need suggestions for a new coffee pot b/c I'm done w/ Gevalia. Price is *sort* of a high priority, but since we use it daily, I can probably convince my dh to let me splurge.

Advertisement

and ISO/IHA
nicolewilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
themummafamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Coffee maker died....AGAIN

If I were you, I might try this one--it looks like a direct knockoff of my $250 coffeemaker and I am almost certain it will do reallllllly well--its design is one of the few in the world that are known to brew coffee properly, which is like 4 home models in the whole world or something crazy like that.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/cof.../458267?Page=1

check out this thread, there are links inside for where to find the unit

My second suggestion is a BUNN but get the free flow restrictor head or stick some broken toothpicks into some of the holes. Look around on that website I just referred you to and you will be in coffee wonderland.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
nicolewilbanks
I could not ask for more
seller

My Mood:

THanks mama! I looked at that link but I had a hard time finding the link for the model you listed.

Just curious about the Bunn, why do they stick broken toothpicks in the holes
and ISO/IHA
Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
FallBabies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolewilbanks View Post
I don't know if I should post this here or elsewhere, but I need info.

We are on our second Gevalia coffee maker in a year. We did the promo of buying coffee and getting the free coffee maker. The coffee was wonderful, but the pot keeps crapping out on us. Anyone else had this problem? They sent a replacement when the first one died, but now this one has died too. It's so frustrating. Gevalia keeps telling me they have never had this problem, but yet it's happened to me twice .

I need suggestions for a new coffee pot b/c I'm done w/ Gevalia. Price is *sort* of a high priority, but since we use it daily, I can probably convince my dh to let me splurge.
Wow, that was the one I was going to recommend to you! Nevermind!
I've had it for two years now (give or take; I did the promo for mine as well), and it still works like a charm. That's lousy that it keeps dying on you.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
nicolewilbanks
I could not ask for more
seller

My Mood:

I know!!! It's crazy. I've known several people that have theirs for 5 years or more. I'm thinking it's a newer model and they aren't telling me. Like maybe a new company is making them for Gevalia and are just making junk. The first one that broke quit filtering the water into the part where the grounds are. Now on the replacement they sent JUST 3 MONTHS AGO has a clock that doesn't keep the correct time and when the water does fill up the cone part, it won't drip into the caraffe! I'm so frustrated.
and ISO/IHA
Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
themummafamily
Registered Users

My Mood:

coffee has thousands of flavor compounds that, under the right circumstances, can be happily released into your cup.
Two of these circumstances are brewing temp and time the grounds are saturated. While most coffeemakers actually fail miserably at actual brewing temp, Bunn does not. It does, however, brew too quickly. If you plug up a couple of holes, time is slowed and instead of a thinner, weaker cup, you get a gorgeous, full bodied cup. The other factor is freshness of the beans, which is why I roast, not grind, roast my own. If you pm me, I could send you some fresh coffee if you like when you get your new maker. I think the link was the sams link, by the way.http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=457557

going for this one or the bunn will serve you well. very well. i am positive. if you are nervous at all, get the bunn and stuff holes. if you are not timid, try that dcm900 from delonghi cuz it has the makings of an amazing brewer. (in case you didn't notice--i am a total coffeegeek--i could tell you way more than you ever want to know!!)

bunn, tho more expensive, is a "safe" buy, but again, get the free sprayhead by calling the company or stuff pieces of toothpick into a couple of the holes. Bunn has good history while the delonghi machine is newer to the market and longevity can't be tested just yet.

oh and keep us posted!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolewilbanks View Post
THanks mama! I looked at that link but I had a hard time finding the link for the model you listed.

Just curious about the Bunn, why do they stick broken toothpicks in the holes

Last edited by themummafamily; 01-11-2010 at 12:34 AM.
themummafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
pastrymel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a cuisinart automatic grind and brew and I love it. I've had it for years and the only complaint that I have is the inside can get a little gunky from grinding but I just put it in my sink and hose it down with hot water. I think costco has them at a pretty good price if you have access to that.
pastrymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have a gevalia pot now that we like and have had for about 2 years with no problems. that being said. before the gevalia pot i had a $10 kmart coffee mate pot for about 6 years and never had a lick of trouble with it!! super cheap too!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
nicolewilbanks
I could not ask for more
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas for all of the advice! It's def helpful and I know my hubby will be very appreciative that I did my DS research
and ISO/IHA
Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
kelly_jeanie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrymel View Post
I have a cuisinart automatic grind and brew and I love it. I've had it for years and the only complaint that I have is the inside can get a little gunky from grinding but I just put it in my sink and hose it down with hot water. I think costco has them at a pretty good price if you have access to that.
I have one of these as well. I highly recommend it. We had ours for 3 years and it started to leak, and even though we were outside the warranty by a few months they replaced it anyway as a one-time favor. We are thrilled with how well it brews the coffee, and the stainless-steel carafe keeps the coffee hot all day.