Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #21
Karolina
Registered Users

Re: Seriously, what is with Cailou??

I don't like that show either but Dominik loves it. Seriously that boy is so whiny.

Dominik wants us to buy him the DVD but I couldnt find them anywhere.

Advertisement

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinasBows ~ Custom Made Hair Bows
Karolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #22
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD was always into Caillou and we had picked up a couple here and then I realized (keep in mind, I'm in Korea, they were being sold OUTSIDE in plain sight, ok?) they were bootlegged copies! I about wigged! Naturally, I was NOT putting them on my computer! Hello, viruses all that stuff so DH would take DD to the PC room and they would watch Caillou there. She's into Little Einsteins though and I prefer that and as far as shows go, Caillou is NOTHING compared to Dibo the Gift Dragon. I HATE that show! It's shown here in Korea and DD wants to watch it ALL THE TIME!
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #23
j+csmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The thing that gets me is the kid is throwing a fit or whining for something and all his mom does is, "Now, Cailou" and the problem is solved. Yeah right! And I too, really want to know why this 4yo kid is still bald!! Do they shave his head, does he have alopecia, cancer?? Come on now, my 4yo has hair down her back!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
Lisa_delo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Caillou is a children's television show based on the books by Christine L'Heureux and illustrator Hélène Desputeaux. Many of the stories in the animated version begin with a grandmother (who is also the show's narrator) introducing the story to her grandchildren, then reading the story out of the book. Caillou first aired on Canada's Teletoon channel in 1998; it later made its US debut on PBS on September 4, 2000. The action of the story takes place in Canada, though that is never explicitly referenced in the dialogue.

In French, caillou usually means "pebble" or "stone", but it can also mean "bald head", which was most likely the writer's intention. The official Caillou website answers the common question "Why is Caillou bald?" by explaining that the original storybook character of Caillou was much younger than the television character, and like many very young children, had no hair.

The series was originally broadcast in French in Canada—from August 29, 1998 to November 10, 2006—and the episodes were later translated into English. The original books were also in French.

Caillou was designed primarily for toddlers aged between 2–6 years old and was created by child developmental psychologists.

Caillou books have been made since 1987 by Chouette Publishing Inc. In 1998, 65 5-minute episodes of Caillou were aired in Canada and in selected markets worldwide. In 2000 they were added with 40 30-minute episodes of the show, containing a mixture of the 5-minute episodes plus new stories, songs, real kids segment and puppets. This was followed with another 16 30-minute episodes containing all-new stories in 2003. Afterwards, the show went on hiatus for three seasons (2004-2006). Additionally, the film Caillou's Holiday Movie was released direct-to-DVD and video on 7 October 2003. On 3 April 2006 a new set of 20 episodes finally premiered after a three-year hiatus. With the new season came many changes. Caillou started attending preschool, and there were new themes and a new opening. The new episodes were animated in-houseusing Adobe Flash animation rather than the animation being outsourced to Korea, as it was in previous seasons. Caillou also has a different voice in the new season.[citation needed] Cookie Jar Entertainment has renewed Caillou for Season 5. [1]
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, my husband has to look up every show our kids fall in love with and find out about the annoying details. (gotta love wikopedia) Caillou is bald because in the original books he was not 4 - he was closer to 2 if not younger. They aged him in the show but didn't want to change his appearance from the books and it saved money on animation since they didn't have to draw in hair. The edges of the show are all fuzzy because the stories are actually a grandma telling her grandkids a story about Caillou - so it is meant to be told more like a story. I used to know what Caillou meant (it is a french name) but I've forgotten. I'm sure I know more useless info about Caillou thanks to my hubby.

Anyhow, dd#2 loves Caillou and Rosie. I don't really have a problem with the show - other than being a little unrealistic in that the 2 siblings manage to resolve every issue without raising their voices and the parents have the patience of saints. It isn't teaching dd anything I object to so I let her watch it.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #26
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Getting rid of all of our DVDs. I didn't realize how whiny he was til DH pointed it out.

Anyone want them????
Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #27
twirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD has many loves (CLIFFORD!) and luckily this isn't one of them. At the moment, I try to be willing to watch anything she watches, so if it's too whiny or annoying (Dora, I'm talkin' to you) or the characters aren't a good example, she doesn't get to watch. She does like Curious George and My Friends Tigger and Pooh, and I don't mind those.

She's also into the theme song for Gilmore Girls, but that's another post...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #28
Everywhere
Registered Users

I usually let DD watch PBS during the time that I am taking a shower and trying to get a couple chores done, and in the past hadn't really ever watched what she was watching.

I have been having problems for quite a while with her being very whiny and well.....ok bratty. Then, I started catching what she was watching here and there. I finally realized that the whining and bratty behavior is coming directly from calliou. No doubt in my mind. The phrases and the tone she uses are the EXACT same as from calliou.

Ugh. This is no longer going to be allowed as something to watch, but unfortunately I think the "damage" is done.

And I'm not kidding-- the whining my daughter does is the EXACT echo of how calliou does.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #29
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirl View Post
She does like Curious George and My Friends Tigger and Pooh, and I don't mind those.

She's also into the theme song for Gilmore Girls, but that's another post...
The song from My Friends Tigger and Pooh is ANNOYING! It's kind of whiny itself, I've noticed and that had me noticing that a lot of current songs are sung by whiny voices.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #30
twirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
The song from My Friends Tigger and Pooh is ANNOYING! It's kind of whiny itself, I've noticed and that had me noticing that a lot of current songs are sung by whiny voices.
Good thing I don't find it too whiny then, because DD enjoys it I like that they have a "tomboyish girl" in a thinking, problem-solving role.