Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
mamajulestotwo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sick kids/ Cold prevention/ HELP ME!

This is getting to be ridiculous! My kids used to get maybe one cold a year.....that is until DS! started preschool this year. Dh has been keeping count and we are up to EIGHT, yes 8 colds since Sept! I don't know what else to do. Ds is good about washing his hands before they have snack, we wash his hands immediately when he gets home. When we are out on the town we have become almost TOO conscious of what we are touching and keeping our hands clean. I just can't win!

So, now I am wondering what I can do to better boost their immune systems? They do take a daily multivitamin (the one the dr prescribes). The are eating more fruits and veggies (when I can get them to) and I am trying to just avoid large gatherings and such.

What else can I do? My little ones are 4, 2.5 and 10mos.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sick kids/ Cold prevention/ HELP ME!

Unfortunately, being in preschool he is more apt to get sick. Something we do here is going to the chiropractor to make sure my kids neck is aligned. Their neck and ears, nose, throat are all connected.

Also, you can get Herbs for Kids at Whole Foods or online. You put it in their drink. You can get echinacea(sp) and Eyebright w/echinacea. The eyebright is good for their sinuses. Something else that is good is getting a toothpaste that is from Spry. It has xylitol in it. Try www.xlear.com. That should give you some info on xylitol. It helps with teeth but also good for respiratory health.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Unfortunately, we have had to take my 4 year old out of our church pre-k co-op for that exact reason (my 3 year old has severe (life threatening) asthma triggered by even a simple cold). Now this is just my personal experience but at our co-op sick children were brought to school so no matter how much the teachers were good about handwashing and cleaning etc. it didn't matter. I will give one of many specific examples, our co-op requires parent involvement so when I was the "mommy helper" another mom made the comment that she "had to bring little Johnny to the nursery at the co-op" but "don't worry he is just a little sniffy" as green snot and a hacking cough lit up the room. A few minutes later, another mom (a friend of hers) came in and said "Oh hi! I am surprised you were able to come today. How is Angie's strep throat? Did she get out of the hospital already?" What??? My 3 year old and 2 year old were in that nursery too.....my DD ended up in the PICU.

To answer your question...some things we were advised by our physician to do to boost immunity for our kids include (maybe you could ask your physician?):
zinc 15 (chewables)
probiotic and/or pre-biotics
lots of fresh fruits and vegetables

P.S. Some moms report good use with alcohol free elderberry juice. We have only used it as adults and not with the children but it may be worth researching too.

Last edited by maureen73; 01-12-2010 at 07:07 AM.
maureen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
groovybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probiotics for prevention of the gastro-ickies and Vitamin D to help promote overall immunity. My oldest went through the same thing when he started preschool at 3, sick at least once a month (two times really bad). I ended up taking him out of school a month early at the end of the year just because I felt he needed a break, so we started summer a month ahead. The only upside to all that has been that DS has yet to be sick this year - I guess all that illness really boosted his immunity.
groovybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
luckymum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a huge fan of Juice Plus (its fruits and veggies in capsule form). My family is hardly ever sick. My DS is in school and my DD is out and about town with me all day. I never use hand sanitizer. I will send you a PM and if anyone is interested please let me know I would be happy to help.

AND I also think everyone should get checked by a Chiropractor too!!!!!!!!
luckymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
mamajulestotwo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mommies. this one seems to be a short-lived cold but i am going to make a trip to our health food store when all is well. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
mamajulestotwo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok.....bumping this up....the two little ones are sick AGAIN!!!! I am losing my mind!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sadly, it take awhile to build the system up so you don't get it all the time. I have worked in Preschool/Pre-k for over 10 yrs and it took about 1 year for me not to be sick all the time.

Reese started last Feb and is finally not sick monthly. She is sick right now . . . but think tat is the Museum we went to on Fridays fault.

All the ideas the other Mamas have might help. Give it a try.

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried airing out your house? Is there a time when your kids arent around and you can open the windows for about 15 mins? Airing out your house can help get rid of yuckies in the house. I am about to do this soon here.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We do probiotics, vitamin d, vitamin c, multivitamin, and fish oil when we have it. My ds started pre-k this year and got sick at the beginning of the year.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote