Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
MT_ranch_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Belly to sleep?

Belly sleepers from day 1 here for both of our kiddos. Our ped recommended it for DD1 who had such bad reflux. DD2 just followed suit, although she didn't have spit up issues.

Advertisement

MT_ranch_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Both of my LOs were belly sleepers from the start. I PERSONALLY feel that while the medical world has made some connection between tummy sleeping and SIDS that there is still a lot of mystery surrounding SIDS deaths and there is no ONE cause (that they've found yet). I PERSONALLY feel that a baby being exposed to second hand smoke is a higher risk factor for SIDS than tummy sleeping. (No, I don't have numbers or stats to back that up, it's just a personal feeling.) If I were concerned about my LOs ability to move their head from side to side, or worried about their breathing patterns, I would reconsider putting them on their belly to sleep. At this point both of my LOs are older and SIDS is no longer a concern (it never worried me much as it was). I think it's one of those "calculated risk" things that all parents have to choose... right along with vaxing, co-sleeping, etc.
This. My son has been a belly sleeper since he was 1 month and he moved him from our bed to his crib. You obviously have been thinking about it and know what the risks are. You do what you feel like you need to do. All of us mamas would die if something happened to our kids, but we still put them in the car, send them on the bus, send them to school, take them swimming, let them stay at a friend's house, etc. These are ALL risks we take. (Okay, so I know some people homeschool and don't do some or all of these things, but it is an example...no flames, please.) We can only do so much as parents to protect our children. Do what you feel is right.
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

all three of my girls slept on their bellies from day 1. My oldest was rolling over at 8 days(not just a weird thing, it happened over and over). My middle child was on an apnea monitor to alert us if she stopped breathing. And my last child was always close-by in a pack-n-play or I was wearing her and we did it safely with no blankets or stuffed animals and checked on her frequently. The second two were preemies and they were placed on their bellies in the nicu so by the time they came home, they were used to it and wouldnt' sleep any other way. So it was a survival method for me to let them keep doing it. We've not had any issues.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_booger View Post
I would be nervous to put my babies on their bellies, especially all night long. I actually posted almost this same comment on a recent thread of the same subject. I read that babies sleep more soundly on their belly, which is proabably why it's tempting to let them sleep that way... but when they sleep more soundly the risk increases for the brain to mess up the breathing signals, and they can just stop breathing for no "real" reason. I don't know how big of a risk it is in numbers or anything though. Have you tried putting him on his side? Maybe you could try out a few different "get your baby to sleep" techniques, and then see how he does on his back. My kids were swaddled for months, but in the beginning they resisted it, you may have to be persistent about it. I'd recommend the Baby Whisperer, it had some suggestions that worked well for me... and my kids have slept wonderfully ever since! Now I'll admit they never had issues sleeping on their backs, so I didn't have the same struggles as you. If he's wiggly enough that he can roll on to his stomach himself, then I wouldn't really worry... I stopped worrying about how they slept once they could roll, I figured it didn't make sense to actually put them back on their backs if they could roll around. But in the beginning I would not put a baby on their tummy to sleep if they couldn't roll to their back. Hope that helps! Don't beat yourself up though, I hope you find a way that works well for you that you feel safe doing

This is what I was told by my ped too because I was doing it when we were all up and we'd put baby on the couch next to us and she said "please don't" and told me this very same thing. They can stop breathing for no reason very quickly and you won't notice it. They don't choke or gag or anything they just stop!

I didn't worry about it once they could roll over on their own, but at that young I wouldn't. Both my boys resisted swaddling for the first 3 weeks of life, but I just kept doing it. Eventually they gave up. They would cry for a good 2 min or so but I would just rock them until they stopped and they would be out!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Boys are at risk for SIDS til I think 15 mos! Girls are like 6 or 8 mos I forget which. I would get that monitor that will let you know if the baby stops breathing and use that.
As for doing it I wouldn't. Have you tried side sleeping? My DD loved it. I will never put a baby on their back that is mine. Long sad story that isn't all to uncommon and I just don't want to risk it.
My niece slept on her belly..made me nervous but she is fine.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
elvenmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried putting my baby to sleep on his back for the first 3 weeks and he always woke up after 15 minutes. Then I tried putting him on his tummy and he slept way longer. It was worth it to have a sane mama.
I was a little worried at first too, but that is what we needed to do to get our baby some sleep.
Also I don't vax at all and my baby is doing fine!! He's almost 6 months. He got the H1N1 very mildly (I got it worse than he did) - it was hardly a fever, just a slight cough. Other than that he hasn't been sick at all. BFing helps I think! If I wasn't bfing I would be worried.
elvenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Im sure I'll get slammed but I eventually put all 4 of my babies to sleep on their stomachs. They slept better that way. They are all BF and none of them get vaxed so for me that put them in the safety zone.

Truth be told, just about every member of my family has always put their babys to sleep on their stomachs.

BTW I am aware of all the stats, numbers, risks, ect ect ect. I am not afraid of my child dying in their sleep.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #18
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was a tummy sleeper. I never worried about her because she spent more time in bed with me than in her crib anyways. DS slept on his sides more than his back. He was an early mover so he wound up on his tummy during the night on his own.

It seems there is a risk with everything. Co-sleeping is dangerous, tummy sleeping is dangerous, back sleeping is dangerous. Just do what works for you.

Last edited by daisy0306; 01-12-2010 at 11:58 PM.
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

I did Side to sleep no swaddle until this week. Braxton finally started rolling front to back and will go to tummy on his own to sleep so now I let him sleep on his tummy. The risks start to drop at the time that they can roll back to front on their own. All of my kids have been tummy sleepers once they can get there by themselves.

My LO will be 6 months on the 17th
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kaydncolt View Post
Oh and my babies had super good head control straight out of the womb - and I'm not making that up.
My newest baby was that way. He could lift and turn his head from day one. I would lay him on me on his tummy and he would turn his head side to side right from day one.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote