Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
sienna
Registered Users

did your dc sleep in a swing past the newborn period?

did anyone do this just because it worked? and then what did you do when the dc got too big for the swing? how didyou transition?

S

Advertisement

sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: did your dc sleep in a swing past the newborn period?

My youngest *loved* his swing...we used it until the day I saw him leaning forward in it. I swear I thought he was gonna flip right out of it! When we took the swing away it took him awhile to 'recover'.

Granted he was a very fussy baby and that was the only way I could put him down....otherwise he cried. I did find that he was okay with a vibrating bouncy seat for short periods of time...and then once he was big enough he liked the exersaucer (sp?) But there were still times where he REALLY wanted his swing and so I would cradle him and make a rocking/swinging motion myself and that would work. HTH
Old 01-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

yup we actually talked to our ped about this during a loooooooong and cranky sleep strike with our son. she said that there is absolutely nothing wrong with us finding a comfortable spot for him to sleep in. our swing doesn't even have batteries in it, so it is still motionless sleep (technically better than motion-full sleep).

he takes naps in there occasionally (maybe once every week or two?) when he just does not want to go down for a nap in his bed. it saves his sleep, my sanity, and we don't have to do things like CIO to get him to sleep.

now to answer your question, i don't know what we'll do when he outgrows it, i guess we'll just have to find another method, maybe rocking him will work better then? i believe the weight limit of our swing is 25 pounds, and our son is nearly that, yikes.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Elliott is *still* in the swing for most naps. At, um, 10 months. Eeek!

I'm squeezing every last minute out of the wonder-napper! I expect transitioning to involve my laying down with him to nurse, so I'm hoping to stretch out using the sling until he's down to one nap a day, and then busying DS1 with books or naptime of his own in order to have that time to get DS2 off to sleep. Or, if we can wait until summer, maybe I can time a nice walk with him in the Mei Tai.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
ce&E
Registered Users

Yes, for sure! Our son was a very fussy newborn and a tough sleeper and the swing was often the only thing that would calm him down and let him sleep so we used it well! Like the pp said I don't think there is anything wrong with finding a place that works for sleep. Ds usually wouldn't go to sleep without the motion of the swing but would stay sleeping long after it stopped moving. He also loved being held tight in a sling so I think that tightness really helped him sleep. As far as transitioning him out of the swing it has happened very slowly but naturally. For a long time I thought he would be taking it to college with him, lol, but then he started taking some naps in his crib and he started using it less and less. At first I would sling him or nurse him and then lay him down in the crib and then very slowly I would put him in the crib earlier and earlier. Now I lay him down in the crib and just sit next to it until he goes to sleep but he often still needs some pats and the like to fall asleep.
Also, we cosleep after he wakes up in the middle of the night and sometimes when he is really restless we still put him in the swing in the wee morning hours (although I don't think we've done that in several weeks). Ds is 14 months old but just 20 pounds so we are lucky that he can still go in there when he needs to. Sorry this was so long but hope it helps some.

Last edited by ce&E; 01-25-2007 at 01:17 PM.
ce&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is gonna sound crazy but DD napped in the swing until she was 22 months old (and 25 lbs.). I stopped turning it on when she was a little over a year but she still liked sleeping there. She now naps on the couch. I have to lay down with her and pretend to sleep until she falls asleep.

She has never used her crib. We co-sleep at night.
laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneylue+2 View Post
This is gonna sound crazy but DD napped in the swing until she was 22 months old (and 25 lbs.). I stopped turning it on when she was a little over a year but she still liked sleeping there. She now naps on the couch. I have to lay down with her and pretend to sleep until she falls asleep.

She has never used her crib. We co-sleep at night.
Yay, this totally makes me feel better! Thanks!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah! He slept in the swing, in the infant bucket, or with me. I say wherever a newborn will sleep, let him!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
CakeMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz View Post
Oh yeah! He slept in the swing, in the infant bucket, or with me. I say wherever a newborn will sleep, let him!
amen sista!
CakeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
BellaRia
Registered Users

My son kind of did... lol... We had an Amby bed that he slept in until her was like 6 months... then we tried the crib and it worked out alright. I highly recommend the Amby bed, it was nice for our colicy, little man with Reflux.

http://www.ambybaby.com/

EDD:09.22.07 1****5****10***15****20****25****30****35****40 think pink!
BellaRia is offline   Reply With Quote