Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #11
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: did your dc sleep in a swing past the newborn period?

Both of my boys loved the swing. Kearnan used it because he had such sever reflux. The angle on the fisher price cradle swing was just perfect to keep his acide moving down instead of up, and it was the only place he could be comfortable for the first 6 months of his life. After his reflux eased up he just didn't seem to need it any more. He didn't actually get too heavy for it until well after his first b-day, but he stopped using it around 7 months and started just napping in the bed at that point. Tharen used the swing for naps and even part of the night (he went to bed about 2 hours before the rest of us for a while) when he was little. With his big brother around a nice dark room with the noise of the swing helped him actually get a bit of sleep, and I had a little one on one time with my oldest. Unfortunately Tharen was a big baby, and the swing stopped being able to swing him at around 5 months. I moved him to a baby hamock after that, but he never really liked it as well (it didn't swing or make sound) and he took to crawling out of it so I had to hang it close to the floor. We eventually just gave up. He doesn't sleep well at all now, and he has to nap either in the car or in my arms. It is very hard to get anything done these days. I wish they made a swing for bigger kids.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
pottymomma
Registered Users
seller

I didn't have a chance to read all the replies, but we used an amby and I recommend them! It was AWESOME! My littlest slept in it until he was 10 mo. old.

http://pottymomma.blogspot.com
pottymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

My dd slept in the swing. Eventually they just grow out of it. At least mine did. As long as it's not "night time sleep" all night long. It's fine. it's not like their gonna be 10 years old sleeping in it. They just eventually "grow out of it". My dd just lost interest after she turned aobut 1 year old.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #14
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, you said past the newborn stage (duh!). Mine didn't, but I know plenty of kids who slept in the swing for months. No long term damage down!
Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 AM   #15
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

I just sold her swing because it was going through batteries like crazy (I was changing them every other day) That said, she spent the night in that swing many nights because her reflux was so bad. She would be laying in a puddle of puke with in minutes if we tried to lay her down anywhere else. She's 9 mos old now and does well in either our bed or propped up on the couch. I'm thinking of getting rid of the crib and just getting a twin bed for her. She absolutely will not sleep in her crib. I have to lie down with her at nap time to get her to sleep with a pacifer. All told, it takes about 15 mins to get her down for a nap (she still naps twice a day). Same thing at bedtime. It just took a little patience and trial and error to figure out how to replace that peaceful sleep she got in the swing. Like someone else said, they won't still be sleeping in the swing when they are 10...or even when they start school for that matter. They are only little once which is why I don't mind giving up 45 mins of my day to cuddle with her and help her get to sleep. I promise you, my 8-almost-9 yo certainly doesn't need me to get to sleep anymore and I did the same things with him when he was a baby.

Good luck

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
triscuitsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tobias still goes into his if he comes out of the car and is still asleep. I won't put him into it awake anymore (to fall asleep) though I did when he was younger because he's so big and getting really mobile.

If it's working... YAY!!! LOL... Sleep is sooo important, for them and you... whatever it takes lol
Old 02-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #17
inspiredbyfinn
Registered Users
Formerly: korourke
seller

Hi Mama!

I accidently got my son hooked on preferring the swing for sleep as a newborn. Our transition to the crib began when he was about 3 months old.

At this age he went through a really fussy period of 3-4 days where he fussed, cried, and fought sleep every time we put him down no matter where we put him down - so I figured we might as well put him down in the crib! He got used to it fairly easily and I was pleasantly surprised! For about the next month, he still napped in the swing maybe once a day - I used it when he was harder to put down than other times.

Good luck! May your transition be as easy as mine!
inspiredbyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #18
RobinOK
Registered Users
seller

DS#2 has been in the swing all week since he is sick.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
orteggleston
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest hated the swing...but he was a very spirited baby (high needs) who only liked to be held and only certain ways

My 8 month old loved his swing for about 3 months...swaddled and swinging he would take an hour nap and sleep for a good 4 hours in the late evenings.

Then all of a sudden he wanted nothing to do with it.

ISO: Luxe Baby Wool
orteggleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #20
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please be very careful with babies sleeping in an upright or semi upright position, if unattended. They can slip down and cut off their airway. Keep them buckled securely, so they stay in proper position. Kids as old as a year have died from sleeping in an upright position.

Zane slept in his swing, car seat and FP rocker, but only if we were awke to watch him.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote