Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,254
How can I teach her not to cry when...

This is probably one of the lamest questions I could ask lol I and probably where my inexperience shines through.

How do I get Whilder not to scream bloody murder when I take something away from her? I try substituting it with something else but she is too smart for that. She's 8 months old, crawling almost walking and into everything. She is so sensitive though, her favorite thing is to be "walked" (me holding her hands and her walking) but as soon as I stop and either let her (make her) sit down or try and pick her up she Screams and cries. This is also the case whe I take anything out of her hands that she's not suppose to have. I don't want her to be WAY spoiled (I already know she will be pretty spoiled) but I can't stand to see her crying either. I'm trying to ignore it when she cries like this for no reason but it's hard lol... any advice from experienced moms... oh god she just ate some papaer

Advertisement

__________________
Kaela
Mama to
Whilder (8)Olian (6)
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
mistylaureena's Avatar
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 6,359
My Mood:
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

I was just thinking abou thtis with MIkey tonight, he wanted Billys new cell phone soo bad & when billy wouldnt give it to him he'd scream and I dont like it, I dont want my kid to be that kid, but then I have to remember that he is only 13 months old and still learning but any advice i'd love to hear it. Oh and I do try to redirect his attention and he isnt havin that at all...
__________________
Misty--Mama to Mikey.... crossing fingers for more babies!
mistylaureena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
loni1090's Avatar
loni1090
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 753
My Mood:
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

I big way to distract their attention is say in a positive and happy voice, "look Alex, a squirrel outside, do you see it?"
I engage his attention on to something else.
even showing another toy is a positive and excited voice gets his attention and redirects his thoughts so he forgets what he was crying about
__________________
www.islapacifika.com
loni1090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
lilmama2dsndd's Avatar
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,515
My Mood:
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

first of all, a little paper won't kill her (my DD eats paper every chance she gets) and no advice but lots of My DD is a big O Drama Queen when it comes to not getting her way. Until they are old enough to reason with, they just have to cry. Or if you nurse do what I do, solve every problem with a boob
__________________
SAHM to James (5 yrs) & Alice (3.5 yrs)
0*1*2*3 4
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,254
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

That sounds like it could work. We have this dancing dog that sings "everybody loves somebody sometimes" and I was using that for a while to distract her but the darn thing stoped dancing, now it only sings and apparently that's not as entertaining
__________________
Kaela
Mama to
Whilder (8)Olian (6)
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
lilmama2dsndd's Avatar
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,515
My Mood:
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loni1090 View Post
I big way to distract their attention is say in a positive and happy voice, "look Alex, a squirrel outside, do you see it?"
I engage his attention on to something else.
even showing another toy is a positive and excited voice gets his attention and redirects his thoughts so he forgets what he was crying about
I wish something like this would work with Alice, but trying to distract her (unless witha boob) only makes her scream louder and shriller
__________________
SAHM to James (5 yrs) & Alice (3.5 yrs)
0*1*2*3 4
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
amandaev's Avatar
amandaev
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 2,185
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

The only advice I have is when she does cry...don't give in. She will NEVER stop crying if you always give in. I JUST now at 5 years old broke my son of crying when he doesnt get what he wants. It's so much more pieceful.
__________________
AMANDA, wife to Ron ~ 11-28-98, mother to Tori Paige ~ 08-15-99, Ronnie Craig ~ 7-25-01, Franklin Keith ~ 5-4-07, and Peter James ~ 1-11-09 born @ home
amandaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #8
ShayneLeMaster's Avatar
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Latitude = 35.5188, Longitude = -86.3965
Posts: 10,166
My Mood:
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

Gage does the same thing and he's 7.5m old... I HATE to hear/see him cry too... but I also know that I cant walk him around or let him literally climb up me ALL DAY long although that's pretty much what goes on anyway .. but now that he's mobile I'm hoping my letting him "tough it out"( i dont want to use CIO becuase i think there is a big difference between toughing it out and crying it out.. ) will make him realize that even though he cant suck on my new cell phone he can just crawl over to where daddy left his on the floor.. it's getting better... and Ive been " not giving in" for about a week now.. he's coming along really well.. IMO.. so maybe she will do the same thing.. good luck..
__________________
Do you like my avatar? check me out on FACEBOOK
ShayneLeMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #9
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,254
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaev View Post
The only advice I have is when she does cry...don't give in. She will NEVER stop crying if you always give in. I JUST now at 5 years old broke my son of crying when he doesnt get what he wants. It's so much more pieceful.
This is what I'm doing now, but there is a fine line between CIO and GD sometimes I guess... I'm just to guilty about letting her cry at all. Maybe I should just use the Boobie trick lol I do most of the time anyway, but for some reason DH isn't a fan of that method.
__________________
Kaela
Mama to
Whilder (8)Olian (6)
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,254
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayneLeMaster View Post
Gage does the same thing and he's 7.5m old... I HATE to hear/see him cry too... but I also know that I cant walk him around or let him literally climb up me ALL DAY long although that's pretty much what goes on anyway .. but now that he's mobile I'm hoping my letting him "tough it out"( i dont want to use CIO becuase i think there is a big difference between toughing it out and crying it out.. ) will make him realize that even though he cant suck on my new cell phone he can just crawl over to where daddy left his on the floor.. it's getting better... and Ive been " not giving in" for about a week now.. he's coming along really well.. IMO.. so maybe she will do the same thing.. good luck..
Thank you, it is encouraging to hear that.
__________________
Kaela
Mama to
Whilder (8)Olian (6)
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.