Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

How can I teach her not to cry when...

This is probably one of the lamest questions I could ask lol I and probably where my inexperience shines through.

How do I get Whilder not to scream bloody murder when I take something away from her? I try substituting it with something else but she is too smart for that. She's 8 months old, crawling almost walking and into everything. She is so sensitive though, her favorite thing is to be "walked" (me holding her hands and her walking) but as soon as I stop and either let her (make her) sit down or try and pick her up she Screams and cries. This is also the case whe I take anything out of her hands that she's not suppose to have. I don't want her to be WAY spoiled (I already know she will be pretty spoiled) but I can't stand to see her crying either. I'm trying to ignore it when she cries like this for no reason but it's hard lol... any advice from experienced moms... oh god she just ate some papaer

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I teach her not to cry when...

I was just thinking abou thtis with MIkey tonight, he wanted Billys new cell phone soo bad & when billy wouldnt give it to him he'd scream and I dont like it, I dont want my kid to be that kid, but then I have to remember that he is only 13 months old and still learning but any advice i'd love to hear it. Oh and I do try to redirect his attention and he isnt havin that at all...
Old 01-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I big way to distract their attention is say in a positive and happy voice, "look Alex, a squirrel outside, do you see it?"
I engage his attention on to something else.
even showing another toy is a positive and excited voice gets his attention and redirects his thoughts so he forgets what he was crying about
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

first of all, a little paper won't kill her (my DD eats paper every chance she gets) and no advice but lots of My DD is a big O Drama Queen when it comes to not getting her way. Until they are old enough to reason with, they just have to cry. Or if you nurse do what I do, solve every problem with a boob
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

That sounds like it could work. We have this dancing dog that sings "everybody loves somebody sometimes" and I was using that for a while to distract her but the darn thing stoped dancing, now it only sings and apparently that's not as entertaining
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loni1090 View Post
I big way to distract their attention is say in a positive and happy voice, "look Alex, a squirrel outside, do you see it?"
I engage his attention on to something else.
even showing another toy is a positive and excited voice gets his attention and redirects his thoughts so he forgets what he was crying about
I wish something like this would work with Alice, but trying to distract her (unless witha boob) only makes her scream louder and shriller
Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

The only advice I have is when she does cry...don't give in. She will NEVER stop crying if you always give in. I JUST now at 5 years old broke my son of crying when he doesnt get what he wants. It's so much more pieceful.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #8
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

Gage does the same thing and he's 7.5m old... I HATE to hear/see him cry too... but I also know that I cant walk him around or let him literally climb up me ALL DAY long although that's pretty much what goes on anyway .. but now that he's mobile I'm hoping my letting him "tough it out"( i dont want to use CIO becuase i think there is a big difference between toughing it out and crying it out.. ) will make him realize that even though he cant suck on my new cell phone he can just crawl over to where daddy left his on the floor.. it's getting better... and Ive been " not giving in" for about a week now.. he's coming along really well.. IMO.. so maybe she will do the same thing.. good luck..
Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #9
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaev View Post
The only advice I have is when she does cry...don't give in. She will NEVER stop crying if you always give in. I JUST now at 5 years old broke my son of crying when he doesnt get what he wants. It's so much more pieceful.
This is what I'm doing now, but there is a fine line between CIO and GD sometimes I guess... I'm just to guilty about letting her cry at all. Maybe I should just use the Boobie trick lol I do most of the time anyway, but for some reason DH isn't a fan of that method.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayneLeMaster View Post
Gage does the same thing and he's 7.5m old... I HATE to hear/see him cry too... but I also know that I cant walk him around or let him literally climb up me ALL DAY long although that's pretty much what goes on anyway .. but now that he's mobile I'm hoping my letting him "tough it out"( i dont want to use CIO becuase i think there is a big difference between toughing it out and crying it out.. ) will make him realize that even though he cant suck on my new cell phone he can just crawl over to where daddy left his on the floor.. it's getting better... and Ive been " not giving in" for about a week now.. he's coming along really well.. IMO.. so maybe she will do the same thing.. good luck..
Thank you, it is encouraging to hear that.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!