Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:
I need help from those who's DC is allergic to cow's milk

Uggghhh I feel like I'm running in circles here, and not getting anywhere. We've been dealing w/ear infections that won't go away w/numerous rounds of meds, and I got a copy of DD's records to review them. I'm sick of the meds, and truely have lost faith in the dr at this point. I'm trying natural remedies to try and boost her immune system, and get rid of this cold.

Well, when I nursed her I couldn't drink milk, and these issues started after she started drinking cow's milk. This is the only link I can find to her getting cold type symptoms, and nothing helping relive them - and the oncoming of ear infections.

So, I need to know what do you feed your child. Everything has milk, or lactose in it. I'm guessing I need to stay away from lactose too? Plus, almost all of hyland's products seem to have lactose/milk base products in them. What natural remedies do you give your DC? I've started giving her soy milk (which I'm not too happy about), but I've read that she could be allergic to this also. What other souce of milk (with all the good stuff in it) can I give her if both these, and goats milk are out? I've read that rice milk doesn't have the things their bodies need in it.

I'm at a loss all the way around, and our insurance won't cover a dr. visit to an allergy dr. - so for the time being that's out until we get extra $. DD is 18 months. Thanks so much for any help you can give!!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help from those who's DC is allergic to cow's milk

Hey Dena-
Okay, first thing is that your dd is probably not ALLERGIC to milk, but has a sensitivity to milk (they are different things, and a true allergy to milk is rare). Sensitivity to milk protein is different than lactose intolerance. Not sure which your dd has, as you didn't say what her symptoms are. Sounds like the sensitity to milk protein, as you mentioned ongoing illness (lactose intolerance would present as diarrhea, upset tummy, gassy, etc.). If she is not LI, then giving her things (like Hylands) with lactose in them is not a problem. FYI, you naturally have lactose in your breast milk. So, for the milk senstivity (whey protein, for example), we went through this same thing w/ dd. She was covered head to toe w/ one huge eczema rash at about 6 months - ped said to cut dairy, I did, and dd's skin was beautiful & baby soft within about 3 days! Awesome! We had recently switched to raw (unpasteurized) milk at home, so I put that back in my diet while continuing to avoid pasteurized dairy products (like yogurt, cheese, etc.) ... no reaction from dd at all! Now, at 19 months, she drinks raw milk without any reaction at all. She does still get the occasional eczema patch, which results from me cheating a bit and having something w/ pasteurized dairy in it. Many, many people have problems w/ pasteurized dairy and don't know it. Check out www.realmilk.org for tons of info. I *highly* recommend trying her on real milk - it is an actual health food if the fragile milk proteins are not damaged by pasteurization. My whole family is better since we started on raw milk a year or so ago (dh's asthma is better, ds' occasional eczema patches are non-existant, and dd is pretty much eczema free and is sleeping soooo much better!). If you want more info, feel free to pm me!

Last edited by kezoo; 01-24-2007 at 01:30 PM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and I wanted to add that I am lactose intolerant, but I can drink raw milk without needing Lactaid or anything like that. The active enzymes and good cultures in the milk actually aid in digestion of the lactose! Yea -I can drink milk again and enjoy it. And, I have to say that raw milk tastes *waaaaaay* better than past. milk, too.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

Kerry - that is exactly what the problem is. When I researched this when I was nuring DD it was that she was allergic to the protien in the cow's milk. Okay - so where do I get raw milk from? Health food store? I'm gonna ck out that site - thanks so much!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
RedSoxFan1
Banned
seller

Okay, mama, deep breaths. We went through this as well. In the end, it took dd1 3 years to outgrow this sensitivity, but she did.

One of the easiest ways to tell if something has dairy in it (even dairy byproducts, like casein, sodium caseinate, and whey) is to look for either a "vegan" mark on the label or a kosher marking. There are many kosher markings, but the easiest and most common ones are: a U with an O around it; a K with an O around it; a K that looks like it has a half moon attached to its backside; a K with a star around it. On some bread products, it will look like a K, V, H superimposed on each other.

If these markings have a "d" next to them, it means there is some form of dairy in them or they have been processed on dairy machinery. If they have a "pareve" next to them, or nothing else, then there is no dairy in the product and it has not been processed on dairy machinery (i.e. machinery used to process other dairy-containing foods).

For those who have dairy sensitivities, this is a great method. If you want more info, I'd be happy to help you out. People who keep kosher cannot consume dairy products alongside or in foods containing meat, so we have to be absolutely sure that foods contain no dairy or byproducts whatsoever.

Lots and lots of mainstream grocery products have kosher markings, you just have to know where and what to look for on the label.

As an aside, about 30% of children with dairy protein sensitivities are also sensitive to soy protein, so this is something to keep in mind as well.

Good luck!
Nicole
RedSoxFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS also has an allergy to lactose so we have him on soy milk. I personally don't have an problem with it, he tolerates SMALL amounts of dairy, like cheese IN foods, but not straight dairy. He typically breaks out in a rash on his face, back and tushie until it gets out of his system (about 48-72hrs) and then he's fine. I thought we were having rash issues for awhile b/c of CDs but I've noticed it just miraculously goes away! It also causes eczema for him. My DS#3 has eczema also but not an allergy to lactose and dh's family has issues with IBS & lactose sensitivity and my family just has lactose & all sorts of random allergy issues.
Anyway, if your DS is also allergic to soy you can try things like Lactaid milk or acidophilus milk. Its tough at first, but you get used to reading labels and finding the allergen pretty quickly. I had no idea a lot of baby foods had milk in them but when we looked at some of the meal (veggies & meats) or desserts they all have milk. Good luck!!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
My DS also has an allergy to lactose so we have him on soy milk. I personally don't have an problem with it, he tolerates SMALL amounts of dairy, like cheese IN foods, but not straight dairy. He typically breaks out in a rash on his face, back and tushie until it gets out of his system (about 48-72hrs) and then he's fine. I thought we were having rash issues for awhile b/c of CDs but I've noticed it just miraculously goes away! It also causes eczema for him. My DS#3 has eczema also but not an allergy to lactose and dh's family has issues with IBS & lactose sensitivity and my family just has lactose & all sorts of random allergy issues.
Anyway, if your DS is also allergic to soy you can try things like Lactaid milk or acidophilus milk. Its tough at first, but you get used to reading labels and finding the allergen pretty quickly. I had no idea a lot of baby foods had milk in them but when we looked at some of the meal (veggies & meats) or desserts they all have milk. Good luck!!
Hey mama - not sure if a doc told you that your kids have a "lactose allergy" but being lactose intolerant is different than having a problem w/ milk proteins (more commonly considered an allergy). Lactose intolerance is just not making the enzyme lactase which digests the lactose sugar. LI usually shows up as diarrhea, etc. Milk protein sensitivity (or allergies) usually show up as bum rashes, eczema, etc, which sounds like what you are describing in your post! If it is a milk protein intolerance, then Lactaid or Lactose-free milk/dairy will NOT help (because the milk proteins are still there). I said a lot of the same things in my first post, so I won't repeat here.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

My son was (I beleive) allergic to my own milk. I never tried cutting out dairies. He just had chronic post nasil drip. He had a hacking caugh that made people stare when we were out in public. As soon as I put him on soy milk (10 months.) It went away. Knowing what I know today, I would have cut out dairy all together (in my diet) and after weaning him, I would have put him on rice milk. I personally feel like rice milk is better than soy. Anyhow, I was lucky his pediatritian never tried any drugs on him. Sometimes I feel like they just give out drugs to mask the problem (dairy) b/c most people could never imagine cutting dairy out. They rather over medicate their child. Anyways, good luck to you. Hope it get's all taken care of. I would definatly continue to research dairy free for your little one.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

VERY interesting! Thanks for the link! I know people to pass it on to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Hey Dena-
Okay, first thing is that your dd is probably not ALLERGIC to milk, but has a sensitivity to milk (they are different things, and a true allergy to milk is rare). Sensitivity to milk protein is different than lactose intolerance. Not sure which your dd has, as you didn't say what her symptoms are. Sounds like the sensitity to milk protein, as you mentioned ongoing illness (lactose intolerance would present as diarrhea, upset tummy, gassy, etc.). If she is not LI, then giving her things (like Hylands) with lactose in them is not a problem. FYI, you naturally have lactose in your breast milk. So, for the milk senstivity (whey protein, for example), we went through this same thing w/ dd. She was covered head to toe w/ one huge eczema rash at about 6 months - ped said to cut dairy, I did, and dd's skin was beautiful & baby soft within about 3 days! Awesome! We had recently switched to raw (unpasteurized) milk at home, so I put that back in my diet while continuing to avoid pasteurized dairy products (like yogurt, cheese, etc.) ... no reaction from dd at all! Now, at 19 months, she drinks raw milk without any reaction at all. She does still get the occasional eczema patch, which results from me cheating a bit and having something w/ pasteurized dairy in it. Many, many people have problems w/ pasteurized dairy and don't know it. Check out www.realmilk.org for tons of info. I *highly* recommend trying her on real milk - it is an actual health food if the fragile milk proteins are not damaged by pasteurization. My whole family is better since we started on raw milk a year or so ago (dh's asthma is better, ds' occasional eczema patches are non-existant, and dd is pretty much eczema free and is sleeping soooo much better!). If you want more info, feel free to pm me!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

I didn't know exzema was related to dairy "issues". That explains why ds had it on his back when he was a baby. The Dr. told me it was hereditary. I thought he got it from me, cuz I had it as a teen. My niece has exzema, drinks almost a gallon of milk a day, and her ped. gave her a $200 Rx cream that insurance wont cover to make it go away.