View Poll Results: What to do with the other kids?
Let them run feral in the park and pick up the survivor(s) aftereward 8 21.62%
lower my expectations to "enough supervision to keep alive" and post an ad on craigslist 3 8.11%
have secret "unplanned" homebirth and drive to hospital after the birth 5 13.51%
give them enough nyquyl to knock them out until I can send The Hubby back for them 6 16.22%
other. Because there's always an other 12 32.43%
why are you asking this? 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question What do you do with the older children when you go to the hospital?

For those of you who've given birth away from your families and have other children as well, what have you done with the other kids? The four families that we're most comfortable with and that we trust with the kids are all PCSing in the month before my due date and there's no one else that we know enough to trust with our kids. A homebirth is not an option for us and the hospital policy is that the baby has to stay for a minimum of 24 hours after birth (so depending on when I go to the hospital I could be looking at staying around two nights since I won't leave without my baby). I have no idea what to do with the other two kids, I could send The Hubby to be with them as soon as Cletus makes his appearance but I need someone to watch them for at least the time that I'm birthing.

Advertisement

Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you do with the older children when you go to the hospital?

The reason a homebirth is not an option for us is because not only is it not allowed on base housing, but both boys were born with the cord wrapped around their necks and Ducky needed oxygen and a lot of help to breathe when he was born. No way we could handle that if it happened again and it was very scary.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
Old 11-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nyquil

Sorry, I have no real ideas Hopefully someone else does!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't hospitals have a family waiting room? You could bring some electronics snacks for them, that would not be my first option. The first option would be to see if a family member could come for that day? How old is your oldest? Could leave them with a sitter say a girl with references from the local high school? with maybe a neighbor checking in?
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

ugh all your options suck. There has to be someone you know that would take good money to watch them for at least the time you are giving birth. A wife of your husband's coworker? Anyone who has kids and you know isn't a psycho. I would rather leave them with a friend of a friend over a random internet person.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My very first thought was the trunk.... Better to say it was for birthing another baby than going to a concert.

Seriously though, could you look for a sitter or fly family in?

~~~~~~~
Don't worry, it's autocorrect, I know how to type in English. ;p

Last edited by JeDeeLenae; 11-13-2011 at 12:35 PM.
JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The oldest just turned six and they can't be in the family waiting room unless there's an adult there with them. With both boys I ended up going to the hospital in the middle of the night so whoever watches them has to be able to do an overnight at either my place or theirs. Bringing in family won't work, it'll be over 1k in plane tickets alone and we don't have that kind of money. And the only people who don't work and could come and spend time like that at our house would either demand we also pay for tickets for another person so they don't have to fly alone (my mom) or treat the whole thing as a vacation and expect me to cater to their every whim while making snide remarks about everything they find not to their liking (MIL).

And if I do have a secret homebirth I'd have to drive myself to the hospital since the one I'm delivering at is an hour from our house and the other ones that are closer are not very mom/baby friendly. And on top of all that, there is the very real possibility that they'll send The Hubby to a training thing that is three weeks long (that is set to start sometime around first or second week in Feb which means depending on when Cletus makes his appearance he might not be here to even watch the boys himself)

All my options suck big fat monkey butt

Last edited by sourpatch_babe; 11-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

We are flying my mom to be here a couple days before my C-section date. If baby comes earlier though, we have a couple of somewhat casual friends who have offered to help out. A neighbor has also said she would be willing to come over to be with DS if I go into labor early. We would contact my inlaws at the same time and they would start driving up to take over and be with DS. Most likely there would be about 5 hours before they got here. We also talked to a teacher at ds' school who has babysat him a few times & although I dnt like the idea of having to pay $100 for someone to watch him, it would be worth it to know he is with someone safe and that he is comfortable with u til the inlaws arrive.

I would either talk to some of the other families you know and see if they could help you out, or if you have someone who has babysat your kids before talk to them. We felt most comfortable have g a couple layers of possible plans in place since when it happens friends may be out of town, etc.

Blame the typos on the iPad!

Last edited by ho11yb; 11-13-2011 at 12:34 PM.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Babysitting service? That was our plan but my in laws just moved 4 hours away. If they still miss it our plan is to take DD to the hospital and pawn her off on someone while I push this baby out. Hopefully DH will look frantic enough.

Sent from my LG Ally using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lock them in the car?
j/k id start asking around now. ask friends at church, neighbors, parents of the kids friends....
we typically have my mom and sis watch ours. now mom cant bc she is FT caregiver for my grandmother(dad watches her on sundays and wednesdays when mom goes to church). sis now lives with us so while she is closer....i dont feel comfortable leaving her with all 7 kids so im not sure what we are going to do. the girls have never spent the night away from us(other than being in their house while we have the next one lol) so ill probably be alone most of the time after the birth and have dh stay with sis and the kids as much as i dont need him not that bad bc he usually goes back and forth anyways. BUT my bff will be back from australia by then so she may be an option...
seriously, make some friends quick. moms groups, sunday school whatever you have to do.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote