Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
turn-n-burn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
homemade yogurt

I have a yogurt maker that I just got and I made yogurt in it yesterday and tasted it this morning. I spooned out about 7 oz and flavored it with a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of strawberry jello powder. Tasted o.k. but it's still a little too thin for my taste and definitely for my DH. Plus the jello was just a tad gritty I think if I dissolve the jello some and then add to yogurt. How do I get homemade yogurt really thick like the stuff you buy? I've read that if you strain it for a few hours that works but you also lose half of your yogurt. I've also read that if you put in some unflavored gelatin when you heating up your milk that helps too. My husband is VERY picky when it comes to yogurt, but I really want to make homemade for the savings aspect of it. Help!

Advertisement

turn-n-burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
905_derry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: homemade yogurt

I know geliton can help (my friend does this) but I have never used it. I don't have a yogurt maker though we use the crock pot method or stove top method. I find if u let it sit longer just a bit ;like an extra hour and the put it straight into the back of the fridge and leave it over night it thickens up A LOT more! I also only make it with HOMO milk 3% bc it works best. I';m picky when it comes to yogurt as well... it will never be QUITE the same as store bought but ours is VERY close and I love it.. I add honey as sweetener and blend up berrys from frozen so yummy
905_derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have two recipes on my blog, for a yogurt maker and oven (actually stove top with towel too but not listed) search yogurt and maybe you can stir in jams or jelly
http://www.pleasegivepeasachance.blogspot.com/
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
SRUEDU
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use this recipe.

http://www.blessyourfamily.net/2009/...rt-recipe.html

I have a Yogourmet yogurt maker, 2qt. I've got 6 kiddos and 4 of them eat yogurt. Mostly I make it into smoothies, b/c I can get a full amount of fruits into it that they don't normally like.

I also use 2/3 a cup of powdered milk instead of the 1/3 cup that it calls for. I don't use the gelatin at all and it has a much better flavor to it. I know the gelatin is unflavored but you're right it leaves a gritty type taste in your mouth. The powdered milk makes it much thicker. The only thing I don't like is that unless I blend it up after making it, it's thick but not "smooth", almost chunky once you disturb it. Kwim? But if I use less powdered milk, it's too thin for my smoothies...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
NavyHSwife
Registered Users

My Mood:

i make yogurt in the crockpot. but regardless, you can draining the whey from the yogurt to any desired thickness you desire... from soupy to a more "cream cheese" consistency merely by allowing it to sit longer & drain. I've never used any gelatin nor powdered milk-- just regular 2%milk.

I drain our yogurt in my regular colander that i've lined with a few paper coffee filters. (however, i have a piece of muslin fabric that i've cut to size, too, for this use-- just haven't made a batch of yogurt since... this will be much eaiser & cost effective, though coffee filters sure aren't expensive) I put the colander in a larger bowl to catch the whey and let it drain till it is as thick as i want.

I save the whey to use in place of buttermilk (like for pancakes or artisian bread, for instance)

HTH
~~~ Angi--due with #4 April 2013!!!
wife to a SUPER FINE Navy Chief; Homeschooling mama to 15yoDD, mama & pal to 3yoDD, mom to 21yoDS.

NavyHSwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
blackannis
Registered Users

My Mood:

I make mine with whole milk, and like one of the PPs, use powdered milk as a thickener. I also drain the yogurt so that it gets thicker--you don't actually lose too much yogurt, really, just some of the whey. For sweeteners/flavorings, I'd recommend using jam or jelly--they don't really add any liquid, but they will add both flavor and sweetness. Sometimes I add honey to mine as well . . . there are very few things tastier than drained full-fat yogurt with a bit of honey in . . . mmm. Need to make yogurt tomorrow while I'm making bread . . . speaking of which, yogurt cheese (drained yogurt) and jam sandwiches make an AWESOME change-up from PBJ.
blackannis is offline   Reply With Quote