Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
ebentrup24
Registered Users

Out of crib + new sibling

Okay, so we'll be having a baby right after DS turns 2. (Hooray!! ) The thing is, Babycenter says that any big changes like taking the kid out of the crib should be done way before the baby comes. He SO won't be ready to be in his big boy bed. Our original plan was to move him out of the crib when new baby is out of the bassinet (3-4 months). Will our plan work or will DS freak because the baby's taking his crib? (Yes, I realize we have to do what we have to do, but it makes me feel better to ask others )

Advertisement

Compounding Interests
ebentrup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
2Pinks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Out of crib + new sibling

DD1 was only 16 months old when baby #2 arrived so she really wasn't ready to leave her crib yet. We bit the bullet and bought a second crib. The girls shared a room so having them in two cribs was really handy since they take up so much less space than twin beds. We had the cribs that 'convert' to toddler beds by just taking off the side rail. They stayed in those cribs until my oldest was 4 and the younger one was 3. Now they are both in twin mattresses straight on the floor.

We didn't have to deal with any regression or jealousy. Best $80 we ever spent! :-)

~*~ My Biz ~*~
2Pinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Birbitt
Registered Users

My oldest two boys are 16 months apart, and we did just what you are describing. I moved my older boy out of the crib when the baby was out of the bassinet. The oldest boy never cared, he loved his new toddler bed too much (I made sure to get one that he would like and let him pick out the bedding). Though he would sometimes climb into the crib so he could "be nice to baby"
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am dealing with the exact same tjing right now. DS1 turned two two weeks after DS2 was born. DS2 is two months now, and I need him to be out of my room (I can't sleep well when a baby is right beside me. I just can't). We have a full bed for the two year old, but I'm not sure he's ready for it.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Rodeo Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read somewhere that if you wait till baby is 4+ months old it usually doesn't cause issues. DS was a little over 2 and DD was around 6 months, I think, when we switched DS into his big kid bed and he didn't have any trouble.
Amanda, wife to Andrew, mama to Dale , Olivia , Wyatt and Nora . Baby #5 due in late April.
Rodeo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We moved DS at around 20 months and three months later DS2 came along but didn't use his crib for at least 4 months.

If you have a pack n play then the new baby can sleep there after outgrowing the bassinet and before DS is ready to give up his crib.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't move Jonathan until after the baby arrived, and now he goes to his own bed at naptime and bedtime. He'd been in the crib prior part-time - full time the week my MIL stayed with him while I was at the hospital. He'd fully coslept with us for 15 months.

Really, you know your child better than any book, advise anyone can give you, or doctor reccommendation.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
loveskitten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was wondering this, too...hmm, doesn't seem like too many people experience problems
Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I think you should just go with what you feel would work for your kids regardless of an article's advice. I would however, have a back up plan in mind such as the baby sleeping in a pack n play or purchasing a second crib. Perhaps there is a family member or friend that could lend one to you for just a few months while you transition?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We moved DS1 out of the crib just before he turned 2, when I was 8 months pregnant. It was a seamless transition. We started with just a mattress on the floor. As soon as we set it up, he refused to back to the crib!!!
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote