Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
kristenb423
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

HELP- Thrush/mastitis and need advice!

Please help me! I am nursing my 4 week old DD right now. After birth, she required a 1 week stay in the hospital due to jaundice and an unknown infection that required high dose IV antibiotics. The day before she left the hospital, we noticed that she had thrush so she was started on Nystatin and I also started with the topical Nystatin for my nipples. I will admit that we are not good about remembering every dose for either of us. I have also had Mastitis twice so far (once in each side) so I have been on antibiotics alot. We can not get rid of the thrush and I feel like it is getting worse instead of better. My left nipple is so sore that I can only pump on that side since I can't tolerate the intense pain of nursing. I'm having lots of shooting pains in both breasts both with nursing and without. I need advice! I don't know why I get Mastitis so often (had it 4-5 times while nursing DS for 10 months). Is there other things I should do to get rid of the thrush. I don't want to quit nursing but I am starting to get frustrated that it's not going smoothly. I would love any advice!

Advertisement

kristenb423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
brendanandhadleysmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP- Thrush/mastitis and need advice!

I used gentian violet on both my nipples and inside baby's mouth. I have 3 children and had horrible thrush with all three. Gentian Violet stains anything it touches so I recommend wearing nursing pads and putting a bib on the baby. I diluted the GV to half strength with water and swabbed the inside of the babies mouth with a q-tip. You can do this once daily to yourself (full strength right on the nipple) and diluted in baby's mouth for 3 days. If that doesn't work I would recommend getting a prescription for Diflucan from the Dr. I sometime had to use this if I waited too long and the GV didn't clear things up. You can get the Gentian Violet (GV) at a pharmacy though they sometimes have to order it. My pediatrician used to actually use it in his office before he would try anything else. Also taking probiotics and/or eating yogurt daily can help restore the normal flora killed off by the antibiotics. I think the only way to get rid of mastitis is antiobiotics. I would make sure you wear a good fitting bra because clogged ducts from an ill fitting bra can lead to mastitis. Also if you start feeling a tender spot in your breast, try nursing in strange positions, preferably with the tender spot facing baby's chin. I actually would lay my newborn on a blanket and hang my breast directly over her, it usually worked like a charm to clear out any clogged ducts. Moist heat works well for clogged ducts and firm massage as well. Also make sure your hands are clean when you touch your breasts, and if your spouse touches them sometimes that can cause mastitis (I don't think that is common but it happened to my mom everytime her spouse put his mouth on them). Sorry if that seems weird, but I have alot of experience with both so I wanted to cover everything. If you have thrush you shouldn't put lanolin on until it is cleared up, it feeds yeast. Also exposing yourself to air throughout the day helps keep your skin dry, kinda like giving a rashy baby diaper free time. You may have a ductal yeast infection, so you may just want to go straight to the Diflucan, those kind of infections can cause shooting pains as well. Mastitis is usually but not always accompanied by fever and chills, possible red streaks in the breast.if you are just having pain and tenderness it could just be clogged ducts and those are easier to remedy. I also recommend looking at the q & a pages at llli.org, it has a wealth of info. I hope this helps, your baby appreciates all your hard work, it will get better soon!

Last edited by brendanandhadleysmom; 01-15-2010 at 05:00 PM.
brendanandhadleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
momo5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The op had great advice. I had great success this time with grapefruit seed extract Dilute it three drops to one teaspoon and swab baby's mouth several times a day. It really worked wonders. I used it diluted on my nipples too, or olive oil on nipples it has antimicrobials, and moistens. If your breasts are hurting you may have it in breasts and the Diflucan will work wonders! Usually achy breasts without the fever is yeast.

The bra fit is very important on the mastitis as the OP said. Also, I have found that if I feed baby then when finished pump and make sure you are empty! Also, I take garlic, echinecea and vitamin C for the mastitis to avoid antibiotics. Take the recomended dose 3 times per day. (all three at once and not goldenseal echinecea my MW told me this with baby #2 and I have not had antibiotics with one since!) It takes a full 24 to 48 hrs but works and wont feed the thrush. Plus babies usually like the flavor garlic so they nurse more which is good for emptying.

Mama I am so sorry for you, both can make you feel so bad. Hang in there! Your LO will appreciate it so much. And when it gets better for you you too will be glad you did.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
rosepeck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also recently had mastitis (including the fever, aches, and chills) and was able to knock it out in less than 24 hours. This is what I did, based on my midwives, friends, and kellymom.

REST as much as possible. Like, literally, get into bed and don't get out unless you absolutely have to.
Take: grapefruit seed extract 3x/day, vitamin C 2x/day, raw garlic (I chopped it up small and swallowed like a pill) 2x/day. I also took phytolacca homeopathic remedy and red root tincture.
Massage the sore area as much as possible, and apply heat nearly non-stop.

Personally, every time I take antibiotics I end up with a yeast infection. I am prone to them. With both mastitis and yeast (thrush), the more you get them, the more likely you are to get them again. It sounds like you are in a cycle with antibiotics leading to thrush. My advice would be to do everything you can to get your clogged ducts/mastitis cleared up without taking antibiotics, or if you need to (sick more than 24 hours), do major pro-biotics at the same time to try to avoid the thrush. Also, like pp said, loose bras, go topless when you can, and keep nipples clean.

Good luck! It sounds like you have been through a really rough time, I am really impressed with you for sticking with it!
Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
kristenb423
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Thank you so much for the detailed responses. I am going to take all of the advice and do as much as I possibly can. From all of the reading that I have been doing too, it sounds like the thrush is now in my milk ducts which is why I am hurting so much. I really think I am going to need the Diflucan to treat this one. Of course, now it's Saturday so I think I will be forced to deal with this all weekend. I have been working on getting the mastitis/clogged ducts better and I think that has been successful now. I just want nursing to be comfortable like I know it can be but I am getting so frustrated. Since I haven't been able to nurse on my left side due to pain (have been pumping), now my right side is getting really sore too.
kristenb423 is offline   Reply With Quote