Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:
Five movies you absolutely expect your kids to watch before leaving home.

This came up in another group I'm in. They can be either kids movies or more grown up and ones you have already or ones you plan to get. I've already gotten DD some of them already:

1. Annie
2. Pippi Longstocking
3. Land Before Time
4. Sound of Music
5. Neverending Story

I know we can all come up with more than this so if you want to put down more, go ahead. I think definitely think of a couple more myself:

6. The Wizard of Oz (DH and I aren't quite in agreement about this one but it's one of MY childhood favorites, used to playact the part of the witch keeping Dorothy up in the tower)
7. Princess Bride (when DD is a little older but I remember seeing it around 7 back when Robin Wright was still on Santa Barbara)

Advertisement

My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Five movies you absolutely expect your kids to watch before leaving home.

We have all boys so none of the movies I loved as a kid will go over very well here! But I am sure these movies will be seen if my dh has anything to say about it

1: Star Wars (all of them)
2: Lord of the Rings (again, all of them)
3: Dragon Heart

I am sure there are more but my brain hasn't woken up yet. I know my dh will get my boys into comics as well. DC or Marvel. Preferably DC comics.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

1. Princess Bride
2. Goonies
3. Serenity
4. Never Ending Story
5. All Dogs Go to Heaven
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. Lord of the Rings (all of them)
2. Princess Bride

They have already seen 1. Sound of music (it was my ds's favorite when he was 2 and 3-- he loved the do ray me song and the puppet show, my oldest dd saw it when she was two and bawled her eyes out when the little girl sat on the steps and sang goodnight-- apparently she thought that was the saddest thing!!!)
2. It's a Wonderful life
Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just couldn't narrow it down to 5 and I felt like sharing WHY I think the stories are important. All of these are done well with good music, etc in addition to the wonderful things taught in the stories themselves. The last 3 are for older children.

1. Wizard of Oz- Good vs evil, overcoming fears, things aren't always what they seem.
2. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas- Speaks to the spirit of Christmas across religious lines
3. The Lorax- Take care of our environment
4. Mary Poppins- The family is what really matters.
5. Bambi-Nature, man's potential to be nature's enemy, importance of family, importance of love (there is so much in this one movie!)
6. Miracle on 34th Street- Speaks to the spirit of Christmas
7. Annie- Love, trust, hope, friendship, children are valued, adoption, the underdog.
8. The Sound of Music- The historical backdrop is great for learning about WWII along with the many lessons about life and love actually IN the story.
9. The Fox and the Hound- Friendship has no boundaries, good hunting vs. bad hunting, great way to relate to segregation/racism
10. The Prince and the Pauper- No matter how much money and power you have or don't have, you will have your own personal struggles.
11. 1776- This is for middle school and high school (there's some cursing and sexual implications between Jefferson and his wife) and shows a lot of background about the writing of the Declaration of Independence and gave the stuffy, dusty historical figures some depth of character.
12. The 10 Commandments- Soooo much Biblical history right in this one!
13. The King and I- Women's rights, culture differences, politics, witnessing, teaching, corporal punishment, history, and because Brenner is HOT.

Whew! I think that's it.

Last edited by mcpforever; 01-16-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling error I just couldn't let slide!
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I just couldn't narrow it down to 5 and I felt like sharing WHY I think the stories are important. All of these are done well with good musice, etc in addition to the wonderful things taught in the stories themselves. The last 3 are for older children.

1. Wizard of Oz- Good vs evil, overcoming fears, things aren't always what they seem.
2. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas- Speaks to the spirit of Christmas across religious lines
5. Bambi-Nature, man's potential to be nature's enemy, importance of family, importance of love (there is so much in this one movie!)
7. Annie- Love, trust, hope, friendship, children are valued, adoption, the underdog.
8. The Sound of Music- The historical backdrop is great for learning about WWII along with the many lessons about life and love actually IN the story.
9. The Fox and the Hound- Friendship has no boundaries, good hunting vs. bad hunting, great way to relate to segregation/racism
10. The Prince and the Pauper- No matter how much money and power you have or don't have, you will have your own personal struggles.
11. 1776- This is for middle school and high school (there's some cursing and sexual implications between Jefferson and his wife) and shows a lot of background about the writing of the Declaration of Independence and gave the stuffy, dusty historical figures some depth of character.
13. The King and I- Women's rights, culture differences, politics, witnessing, teaching, corporal punishment, history, and because Brenner is HOT.

Whew! I think that's it.
Great list and I like that you added the reasons why You listed movies I never thought about. I will have to add some of them to our netflix queue.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
lesliek0211
Registered Users
seller

1. The Diary of Anne Frank
2. Schindler's List
(Obviously I intend for her to see these when she is much older)
Those two movies influenced my life greatly and helped lead me to my career.
And, on a side note Miep just died at the age of 100!
lesliek0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I just couldn't narrow it down to 5 and I felt like sharing WHY I think the stories are important. All of these are done well with good music, etc in addition to the wonderful things taught in the stories themselves. The last 3 are for older children.

Whew! I think that's it.
Ooh, some of those are good that I didn't think of like 1776 (that's a good one) and I'm sure DH will have DD watching some of the Biblical movies. lol No Christmas movies here though however, I've always been a sucker for Muppet's Christmas Carol. There is another one that I saw once called An American Christmas Carol with Henry Winkler and that same year I saw the Fourth Wiseman which had both Charlie Sheen and Martin Sheen.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. all Harry Potter movies
2. Repo!: The Genetic Opera
3. Religulous
4. Alice in Wonderland and most other Disney movies
5. Spirited Away

The only one of these movies that I don't own yet is Spirited Away. Lucius has seen all of the other movies already; but I expect he will see them several more times in his life, including when he's old enough to truly enjoy and comprehend them.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

1) Schindler's List (obviously when they're older, but everyone should see this movie)

2) How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the OLD cartoon version, not the Jim Carrey version)

3) RENT

4) Never Ending Story

5) The 10 commandments
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote