Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about 3 on 1

DH goes back to work Monday. So it'll be 3 on 1

My kids are (almost) 5, 2 and 1 week.

The 5 and 2 year old have been sort of off since baby came home. The 5 year old whines...non-stop. The 2 year old is just being naughty. Quite frankly I can deal with the naughtyness a LOT better than the whining.

So tell me how you do it. How do you keep the house from dipping into "OMG someone call CPS." territory? How do you feed everyone? How do you find time to do anything?

Thankfully I don't have to add grocery shopping or errands onto my plate since we only have 1 vehicle so we're always home

I'm skeered...

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about 3 on 1

It was hard to go from 2 to 3. My boys were a little older at 8 and 4. I think you could make your 5 year old feel really important by having a talk with him/her about how much you need his/her help. I did this with my son who was 4 and he really stepped up and helped me out. You can make them have jobs like getting diapers or playing nicely with the 2 year old while you feed the baby. Newborns sleep so much in the crib or if you do a sling your hands will be free. Lack of sleep was a little hard, but maybe the 2 year old and newborn can nap at the same time. You could nap on the couch and have the 5 year old lay with you with a movie or tv.
Just worry about the 3 children and feeding them, forget about cleaning house for awhile. If you focus on survival and try to find time to play with the older 2 than its easier.
south5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
j+csmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 4yo, 2yo, and 3month old. I also had serious PPD, so I was desperately scarred when DH went back to work and family all left.... I have to say, if it wasn't for babywearing I don't know what I would have done. If you don't have a sling or wrap I really suggest getting one. Also, if they're all 3 going at the same time, you just have to prioritize. As hard as it is, you may just have to let one whine/cry to take care of the other's needs. I also made sure to have lots of things to keep DD1 entertained... crayons, play-doh, crafts and the like. That way I could keep her busy while I made dinner and what not. And lunches were very simple for a while too until I got the hang of things. As long as they're getting 4 food groups I was alright with it. Cheese, crackers, lunch meat and an apple, good to go.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a mini novel.... I just get it, and want to help out. It is rough, not gonna lie, but you get used to it and fall into a routine and it will get easier. GL to you mama. PM me if you need to vent or need any suggestions.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Going from 2 to 3 was the hardest adjustment for me. BUT, I have to say my kids are always a bit "off" when dh is home at a time when he wouldn't normally be. I bet once things are back to normal they will settle down. It's a big adjustment for everyone, but the new normal is going to be fun, really!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

i was just wondering this same thing LOL great thread
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas. I have a sling, but thankfully yds is just about the 'easiest' baby I've ever met, he's totally cool sleeping in the playpen for a while...bad I know but he really prefers it.

Now if I could get DD to stop being little mama and leave him alone...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

You will figure it all out, I'm sure. It will just take awhile to fall into a new normal. Don't feel bad about your youngest napping alone.....nothing wrong with that and those older kids need a lot of mommy's attention right now too. I would just focus on survival for now and slowly get a routine going and start getting a bit organized as time goes on.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
melyaro
Registered Users
seller

Are you sure you aren't talking about my kids? I have a 4yo that whines non-stop, a 2yo who is learning how to really be part of the terrible two and won't leave the baby alone and a 4 week old. So far it has been all about the babywearing for me as others have said. Even if your baby likes laying alone it's still nice to wear them so that if they start fussing you don't have to go back and forth between the older one's needs and going to pick up the baby. For me the biggest difference is time-outs have been a lot more strict (i.e. much less "one more chance" or "last warning" and instead sending right to time out as soon as rules are broken). I hate to admit it but we also utilize the kids favorite DVDs when it's time to nurse to make sure the baby gets what he needs. It's a challenge, but for me I felt like learning to multi-task and not worry too much about the small things when I had the second taught me how to deal with having a 3rd.

SWAGBUCKS: loving that I'm getting free stuff for doing pretty much nothing!
melyaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'm def feeling the stress here. Mine are almost 5(next month), 2 and 2 months. I cannot keep up w/ the house at all right now. I'm drowning in laundry and just kick the toys out of the way as I walk through the house. I am feeling really overwhelmed. I feel like I'm not sitting down w/ the older ones and doing things with them enough. They are watch more TV than I would like to admit. What makes it so hard for me is that my oldest has sensory issues and has speech twice weekly, OT weekly, and sees an early interventionist weekly. I do feel like I am starting to get into a routine, though. I actually made it to all his appointments on time this week. I just try not to sweat the small stuff. I'll know I'll eventually get on track and get things caught up.
mama23boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine are quiet a bit younger than yours but I have a 2yr. old, 1yr. old, and 5mo. old and each day is a challenge; but very managable. I have all the kids on a set routine, everyone eats breakfast and lunch at the same time, and the two older ones eat dinner at the same time. Naps are at the same time (just now got the 5mo. old on the same nap schedule as the older boys.) Since everyone is accustom to when they eat and when they sleep, no one is grumpy because of hungry of tiredness (so those are solved.) As far as whining and one sibling fighting with the other...that still happens everyday, but I end it about as quick as it starts. My 2yr. old is able to go potty by himself and take and put back on his pants, so I don't have to deal with that. 1 yr. old and 5mo. old get diaper changes at the same time (unless one poops early)...so know one is fussing about being wet. I carry 5mo. old in sling, put in swing, or in walker thingy while making lunch. Both older boys feed themself and I feed 5mo. old in the chair while watching the boys eat. Isn't too tough when you get a set rountine down and stick to it. As far as getting anything done....hmmmm....naptime I always do laundry (thats the only thing that isn't too loud), and tiptoe around picking up things that won't make too much noise. As soon as they ALL wake up, 5mo. old generally eats then and then I get started preparing for dinner and quickly straightening everything else up before DH comes home. And I mean quickly. LOL. Old boys clean up all their own toys and put them back in the assigned places. Will your 5yr. old be in school? I'm sure you will manage just fine and you will find a way to get it all worked out without any of them straving or crying too much. LOL