Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
brandy1421
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question are you going to freeze meals?

ok so our freezer is TINY but im thinking of putting a few meals in MILs deep freeze since she will be over here off and on to help out the first week or so that the baby is here but she will go home at night (shes like 20 mins away) so im wondering how far in advance can i make the meals? how long would casseroles and soup type meals keep in a deep freeze? im due in about 8 weeks
also what should i store them in?
what are your plans for freezing meals? and what type of meals will you be freezing?

Advertisement

Brandy*~Mommy Rio 12-06 Milo 10-07 & Atticus 3-10 #4 EDD Dec 14 2014
Have a Princess? SHOP HERE -----> Pretty Pretties
WAHM HyenaCart
brandy1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

Re: are you going to freeze meals?

Casseroles and soup can keep quite awhile in a deep freeze, I would say 6 months at least.

I don't plan on freezing meals because my mom will bring over a couple meals and DH cooks too (sometimes better than me, LOL!!). But I would be afraid if I froze stuff it wouldn't get eaten and go to waste.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
Trauem Was Schoenes
Registered Users

My Mood:

At first I was planning on it until I realized that the first weeks will be the perfect time for me to get all the take-out and fast food I want. The hubby is taking a few weeks off so I know he can be my errand boy and pick up whatever I am hungry for at the moment. Plus I am hoping to go on nice walks with him and the baby to the grocery store.

If I was freezing food though I would do casseroles, soups, chili, enchiladas, etc.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

So many of my meals are super easy to put together that I can make them all around lunch time, refrigerate them, and toss them in the oven in record time. We don't have a big freezer so it's not nearly as easy to freeze as you'd think!

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been working on it.
For dinners I have done, lasagna (replaced 1/2 the noodles w/ thin sliced zucchini and added extra veggies) enchiladas, enchilada casserole, meatloaf, chicken/veg/rice casserole, mexican un-stuffed shells and pre-cooked ground beef. All of this (except beef) is in either foil pans or I will line a pyrex w/ foil, freeze, remove from pan, wrap in foil. When I am ready to use, I will unwrap to the bottom layer of foil, pop back in the pyrex and thaw for baking in the evening/next day. From the store I am stocking up on froz ravioli, froz sausage, froz veggies, froz steamer veg/noodle or rice packets ect.

For breakfasts/ lunches I have made, whole wheat/wheat germ panckakes, whole wheat/banana/sourcream muffins, burritos made with whole wheat tortillas, brown rice beans ect., chicken/cheese/whole grain quesadillas. Hmmm. I am sure I am forgetting something. I wanted to also make some egg/ham/english muffin sandwiches and freeze them so I can pop them in the microwave. Possibly some corn muffins w/ sliced beef hot dogs or ham and cheese in them too. I don't know.

Most of this stuff I just planned into a dinner menu once or twice a week and when I made dinner (BIG batch) I froze the extra in a pan or two.

I figure I will really appreciate the quick lunch and breakfast stuff that is not super processed.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
brandy1421
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post

I figure I will really appreciate the quick lunch and breakfast stuff that is not super processed.
that is my thinking!!

your meals sound great! im gonna add meat loaf to my list!
Brandy*~Mommy Rio 12-06 Milo 10-07 & Atticus 3-10 #4 EDD Dec 14 2014
Have a Princess? SHOP HERE -----> Pretty Pretties
WAHM HyenaCart
brandy1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm not putting out any extra effort to make freezer meals, but I'm usually just doubling recipes and such. I do it a lot anyway (not just when pg), but I am just trying to get more of a variety. So far I have lasagnas, pizza crusts, and lots of soups.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
sjmj
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I'm not putting out any extra effort to make freezer meals, but I'm usually just doubling recipes and such. I do it a lot anyway (not just when pg), but I am just trying to get more of a variety. So far I have lasagnas, pizza crusts, and lots of soups.
I often double, to put the extra in the freezer. I could not have lived without this after my 3rd was born. Once my mom left, I just did not have enough hands. I plan on doing the same this time.

I also contacted our friends and family for their favorite freezer meal (most live out of town). When I made the meal, I wrote on top whose recipe it was and how to reheat - it was nice to think of them while we ate

I use freezer ziploc bags for as much as possible, because they lay pretty flat and stack well. For things like lasagna, we use the tin foil trays you can buy that most people toss but we keep and reuse.
sjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are some of my other stocking up ideas.

For the fridge:
I have a spiral sliced ham in the fridge. I figure it will be easy for dh to pop in the oven a day or two after we get home and will make lots of leftovers that will be good for breakfast or lunch. I want to get a big tub of hummus and some eggs to hardboil. I might ask my MIL to bring me some of the veggies and dip she takes to every function.

In the pantry:
Extra: beans, soups, canned fruit, tuna ect.
I got lots of extra: healthy whole grain and organic when I can, crackers, cereal, granola bars, nuts, freeze dried fruit, dried fruit
Individual: trail mix packs, applesauce, madarin oranges, organic puff things (can't remember the name ) mac and cheese packs

Stuff I normally would NOT buy but got to make things a little easier:
Water bottles
paper plates, napkins and paper towels.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They can be frozen for months so whenever you're feeling up to it they can be made. I'm probably going to freeze a lasagna and a thing of enchiladas for the first couple of nights and plan on a few crockpot dinners to get us by for maybe almost a week so I can try to make myself take it easy since I know I'll be tempted to be up doing stuff before I really should since we're having a homebirth .