Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

anyone used the parents as teachers program?

Apparently this program has been around for quite some time, as my mom is the one that suggested it. She said she used it with my younger sister, who is now 25! I googled it, and there is a program in my area. I really don't know anything about it, but I will be emailing the lady shortly and seeing what exactly they do and when I can set up our first home meeting. I would very much like more advice on fun, learning activities I can do with my dd, who is thirteen months. I always enjoy hearing tips, etc. Did anyone else use this program? If so, did you find it enjoyable?

Advertisement

happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: anyone used the parents as teachers program?

They have that program in my area but I choose not to participate. I have heard a lot of good things about but I don't feel that I really "need" the program. I have a lot of experience with kids and anything I don't know, I can find out through family, friends, even DS! Plus I was slightly worried that I would have to do with someone who is not accepting of some of our non-mainstream parenting techniques. I have also heard that the program really pushes public schools and public school programs in my area and none of those are things my kids would ever attend. It doesn't hurt to have that first meeting though and see how you feel about the coach assigned to you.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

I too am leaning toward homeschooling so I'm a bit worried about their public school approach. I know the program must be public school related. On the other hand, I'm pretty good at letting some things go in one ear and out the other and just nodding along. As far as experience with kids, dd is my first and I can't say I was around many infants/small children before her. I do think I know her in an instinctual/mommy way. I just think any extra education about different techniques would be nice specifically because I do want to homeschool and I think it may help my confidence in that direction. I'd like to hear if others have had issues with the public school and mainstream approach though.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We participate in the parent's as teachers program, and I like it. I think part of it is finding the right fit with the parent educator (the person who comes to your house) and you. I really like our parent educator that we have now, but the one before her I just wasn't as comfortable with. They come about every 6 weeks and do an activity for the kid(s), and then ask if I have any quesitons or concerns about the kiddos or their development. They also do a testing thing once a year just to see where the kids are compared to what other kids their age are doing. If the kids would be behind in anything they can recommend us to someone for the appropriate assistance. The program in our area also has a lot of activities it sponsors from playdates in their room at the school, to events in the evenings and on the weekends to get together with other kids their age, and other moms.
We send our kids to the public school, but I never felt pressured by our parent educator to do so. We sent our kids to a catholic preschool and so she did ask where we planned to send our kids to school, but I took it as more of a "hey, I was just wondering" kind of thing and really don't think she'd say anything negative or try to persuade us if we wante to homeschool or send the kids to a different school. But I'm sure there are people out there that are more likely to push their agenda with this, as with anything else.
If you ahve any other questions for me let me know. My mom didn't use the programw hen I was a kid, but my best friend from grade school's mom is a director in one of the areas around here, so I could always ask her if I don't know the answer.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We participate and we love, love our parents as teacher advocate! I, to, have lots of experience with kids but it's always nice to have someone there to say that your own kid/s are doing great. I do like that they have activities that I don't even think about and list of toys to make at home to stay frugal. My advocate also has advice, stories and lets me talk about my kids. She is always positive when it comes to my kids.

Also, I get a calender twice a year from them that have activities that are going on at the education center or places around town. Once a year they have health fair that we attend. They give out samples of great stuff and for $5, my ods gets a new bike helmet fitted just right.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

wow, how neat everyone who replied is also from Missouri. The program must be really big out here! Can I ask where everyone is from? If you don't want to answer, pm me. I am from a small town called Sullivan, if anyone has heard of it.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Parent's as Teachers program was originally started in Missouri, and St. Louis is their national headquarters, so I think that's why it's such a big deal around here. Other states have similar programs, but I have friends in Illinois that are not happy at all with the services their program provides, and they are picky about the families they will allow into the program, where Parents as Teachers is open to anyone regardless of their circumstances. Here is the Parents as Teachers website: http://www.parentsasteachers.org/sit...MZJxE&b=272091

oh, and yes I know where sullivan is.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
wow, how neat everyone who replied is also from Missouri. The program must be really big out here! Can I ask where everyone is from? If you don't want to answer, pm me. I am from a small town called Sullivan, if anyone has heard of it.
I know where Sullivan is, right down 44! You are only about 45 mins from me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal527 View Post
The Parent's as Teachers program was originally started in Missouri, and St. Louis is their national headquarters, so I think that's why it's such a big deal around here. Other states have similar programs, but I have friends in Illinois that are not happy at all with the services their program provides, and they are picky about the families they will allow into the program, where Parents as Teachers is open to anyone regardless of their circumstances. Here is the Parents as Teachers website: http://www.parentsasteachers.org/sit...MZJxE&b=272091

oh, and yes I know where sullivan is.
I had no clue that PAT started here in MO. Very cool info, thanks!

Cereal527, where do you live?
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuckmom View Post
I know where Sullivan is, right down 44! You are only about 45 mins from me!

I had no clue that PAT started here in MO. Very cool info, thanks!

Cereal527, where do you live?
I live pretty close to you, but not in the same exact area.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I am from the midwest too!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote