Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
sjmj
Registered Users

frigidaire vs. ge freezer

I think I have finally narrowed down what kind of freezer we want - upright, frost-free, 20 cu. Ft. I need a freezer that is going to keep food frozen and work for many years. We will be keeping it in our garage.

Does anyone have any thoughts between the frigidaire and the GE models? These seem to be the only two brands that are for sale in my area. I do not have any first hand experience with either brand.
Will there be a problem having a fridge and a stand alone freezer in the same garage (i.e. with the breaker)?

I would appreciate any advice/guidance. I hate making big purchases.

Advertisement

sjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Re: frigidaire vs. ge freezer

Newer fridge/freezer should only pull 6-8 amps each, so two on one circuit should be okay - although you'd do better if those were the only appliances sharing that circuit. Older models have a heavy draw at startup, and you may run into trouble if both start at the same time.

Top loader freezers are much more efficient, and cost much less (50%?) less to use in a real-world way. Cold air sinks, so when you open a top loader... nothing happens. When you open a front loader... there goes all that 0 degree air.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote