Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
mercury_sprite
Registered Users
seller

paci gone my LO so upset

i told my DS1 hes 4 1/2 that when the lasr pacifier was lost then he was not getting any more.

i know 4 is way to old to have one and its been the thing i hate most in my house since about 9months old. DS2 (6 months) does not have one woohoo.

well we couldn't find one a few nights ago and after loads of tears and way to many stories to count he final went to sleep. so i took the chance to rid myself to them forever. DH and i took him to walmart and let him pick any toys he wanted ( with in reason) all he wanted was a hotwheels set and a small transformer so we got off light $$ wise we explain he was getting them as he was very brave big boy and didn't need his dodie ( that what he calls it) anymore.

that night however i did our usually routine put him in bed etc and left him to go to sleep. he comes out 5 mins later and gives me his last 3 pacis ( where he had the mhidden is beyond me i looked all over for them) and goes back to bed sobbing. so it takes me 45 mins of hugs and stories to get him to sleep.

to night no tears but still loads of storeis and music cd on.

i just need telling i did the right thing and that i've not scarred my baby for life. i so very proud he didn't secretly keep his pacis but he was so upset. tell me it will only be a few more days and he will go to bed without even thinking of them. he loved them so.

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: paci gone my LO so upset

WTG! Its a healthy step in his life! Even though it hurts now, its for the best! Especially his mouth! My BFF is having a horrific time with her older childs dentist bills from sucking a paci/thumb for way to long. They will need to reset his jaw, they tend to grow AROUND what they suck on, i guess. Keep strong!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

You're obviously raising a VERY thoughtful and honest son. Bringing his hidden pacis out to you instead of keeping them because he knew he'd gotten the toys for getting rid of them was a very mature thing for him to do. Way to go, mama! You're doing a great job!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a brave little guy! So sweet that he brought you the last of his pacifiers!

You did what was best, Mama! Perhaps a replacement lovey snuggle stuffed animal or blanket is in order....
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
mercury_sprite
Registered Users
seller

he already has 'teddy' a childs german stief bear he got at 18 months. and i explained to him that noone was ever going to take teddy away and even got my bear and my DHs bear out of the closet to prove that point.

he hasn't mentioned it this morning at all so hopefully we will have a better night tonight.

thanks for the kind words i felt like the big bad monster the last few nights.
he was even still 'sucking' his paci in his sleep last night even tho he didn't have one bless him of how he loved them.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
doodah
Registered Users
seller

you did the right thing. Sometimes making the right choice as a mother is not comfortable for our little ones but that does not change the fact that it was the right thing to do. He will be fine. Do not go back on your decision. Just keep encouraging him about his new status as a big boy!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
valerie mom of 4
Registered Users

My Mood:

You did the right thing We just went through the same thing with DS1 who is 3 1/2 and it did take a couple days but now he doesn't even mention it , he is proud to be a big boy
Old 01-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor sweet boy. My son is going to be 4 in just a couple months and recently gave his to Santa! We told him Santa would leave him extra presents for them and that Santa would give his binks to other babies who didn't have any. He did wonderful! Was a little sad the first night, and never asked again!

I think 4.5 is old enough to let them go, I would just let him know how proud you are of him and he'll be a-okay with it really soon!