Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
momof_3

Formerly: momof_2girls
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need advise for an insomniac child!!!

*Update*I just posted a new thread that is related to this one. It's titled Food Additives and Dyes and the Feingold Diet ??'s. So you can check that out as well if you want to add advise on diet. I am keeping this thread going for any other advise on helping my dd fall asleep at night. Thanks to all you mama's that have helped me with this battle.

My dd is 3yrs old and will be 4yrs in May. She goes to bed at 8:30ish and doesn't actually fall asleep until around 1am and sometimes even 2am! She gets up a million times asking for water/food and such anything to have an excuse to get up. I've tried giving her chamomile tea just before bed, lavender oil baths as well putting a drop of lavender on the chest of her jammies. We read stories and I've tried to comfort her to sleep by brushing my hand on her face and hair. None of this has worked!! PLEASE HELP!! She always has a hard time waking up in the morning because she is so tired. Also this is making it real hard for hubby and I to have any alone time. I spoke to the pediatrician and she thinks she has ADHD and wants to give her meds but I refuse to do this. Does anyone have experience with this as well?

I've read about Valerian root as a good remedy but I can't find anything on if it's safe for a 22lbs 3yr old.

Advertisement

Last edited by momof_3; 01-25-2010 at 02:06 PM.
momof_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need advise for an insomniac child!!!

I recently had this problem with my 5year old ds. What i did was sit in his doorway with a book. Everytime he got out of bed I walked him right back and refused to talk to him. Eventually he got bored and fell asleep. The 1st night it was 11pm and last night he was asleep by 9pm.
Normally he would be awake at 1 am and constantly coming out of his room.
south5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
bwlpowell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am getting into essential oils. Make sure you use Therapeutic grade. I am a fan of young livings. They are higher but so good. I have used both the lavender and peace and calming on my children and it works great. You can either put it on the bottom of the feet. Like a foot massage before bed or use a diffuser in the bedroom at night. Please don't give into giving her medication. To many people try to give an active child the title of ADD/ADHD. Also diet can be a cause if she is allergic to something.
bwlpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

We use melatonin on my 7 year old. She had ADD really bad, and has trouble sleeping. You can start with a 1/2 mg, and go up to one mg per year, but not more than 6 mg. Make sense? lol. We give my 7 year old a 1/2 mg and it works great.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
momof_3

seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlpowell View Post
I am getting into essential oils. Make sure you use Therapeutic grade. I am a fan of young livings. They are higher but so good. I have used both the lavender and peace and calming on my children and it works great. You can either put it on the bottom of the feet. Like a foot massage before bed or use a diffuser in the bedroom at night. Please don't give into giving her medication. To many people try to give an active child the title of ADD/ADHD. Also diet can be a cause if she is allergic to something.
I agree with the eo's and making sure they are good quality. I get mine from a local farmer that I've been friends with since I was in high school. I never thought of putting it on her feet and using a diffuser is a great idea!

As for meds, absolutely out of the question! I will NOT give her any meds. And we eat a very strict vegan whole diet. We tried to cut back the wheat just to see if that would change things and it didn't make a difference. I wonder if soy could be a cause? We already limit refined sugars and junk carbs as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
bwlpowell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof_2girls View Post
I agree with the eo's and making sure they are good quality. I get mine from a local farmer that I've been friends with since I was in high school. I never thought of putting it on her feet and using a diffuser is a great idea!

As for meds, absolutely out of the question! I will NOT give her any meds. And we eat a very strict vegan whole diet. We tried to cut back the wheat just to see if that would change things and it didn't make a difference. I wonder if soy could be a cause? We already limit refined sugars and junk carbs as well.
Good for you on the vegan diet. My sister has a boy that is hyper and she is going to a naturalist that said soy especially for boys can be the cause. We haven't noticed soy being a cause in our home but that could be something to consider. Soy is in more than you think.
bwlpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
momof_3

seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlpowell View Post
Good for you on the vegan diet. My sister has a boy that is hyper and she is going to a naturalist that said soy especially for boys can be the cause. We haven't noticed soy being a cause in our home but that could be something to consider. Soy is in more than you think.
Soy is in everything!! My dd does LOVE soy milk though. We can sub soy milk for rice or almond milk and limit the tofu. We can see if this helps. We love tofu so this might the hardest thing to change. But we will give it a try and see if it helps.

Also, do you know how to make a diffuser from home? I really want to try this.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

If she truly has ADHD you might want to cut out anything with salicytic acid (not spelled right, sorry). I don't remember everything that has it, but I do remember that it is found in tomatoes and several fruits. And, crazy as it sounds, try caffeine. My oldest has ADHD and it has never made her stay up late. If anything it calms her down. I have heard that working for many people with ADHD.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
momof_3

seller
seller

My Mood:

Still need some more advise on this. We've tried so many things and she isn't sleeping still! I really don't want anything she must "take" if you know what I mean. I prefer all natural methods.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try eliminating any gluten and dairy(if you eat any), and offer caffeine. My son has SPD, which makes it hard(nearly impossible) for him to fall asleep before midnight without the use of melatonin. However, limiting gluten and letting him have caffeine help him immensely.

ETA: Are you waking her up early in the morning? Are you consistant with wake up/nap/bed time?

Last edited by mommyinthesun; 01-23-2010 at 10:00 PM.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote